main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Server Move and Forum Outage

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Jun 5, 2017.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It looks like there's still an issue with viewing a member's posting from their profile page as I tried one at random and got
    'The following error occurred:

The search could not be completed. Please try again later.'
    It also put an error message in the server log (for Grahame - it's the shard message I was getting the last time I tried).

2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    ... Aaaaand I just posted in several large threads with zero delay. I think you made it Grahame =D=

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - I posted in the Cloud City thread in SWC a few minutes ago and it went in fine. (500+ pages).

4. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    The "your content" thing is a bug I can't seem to fix, related to versions of PHP, ElasticSearch and ES add on. It'll be broken until we can get an upgrade one, at least to Xen 1.3

5. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You can view recent posts on a user's profile - that seems to be working OK on the user I tried above.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Yeah, it's been rather normal for me too (since yesterday).

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    FWIW, this doesn't just seem to involve the profile page - it's also the case when using the search box to find posts by a particular member.

8. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012

Indeed, it's indexing posts by user that's making Elasticsearch freak out - it won't even finish the indexing, just breaks.

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

That seems like the kind of bug we can live with. Things are much better of late. Thank you very much.

10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    New post, Fanfic Writer's Desk, 202 pages (the thread, not the post), went through instantly, just now.

Hopefully, this is not an anomaly.

11. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    When you upgrade xenforo (say to 1.3) do you need to buy license for every version?
    That'll nickle and dime people.

12. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    No, it's a subscription license and it's not too expensive thankfully.

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    At this point I'm seeing a bunch of the 'shard' ES errors in the server log along with just a couple 'Is it running?' ES messages. (Not a lot and very sporadic). I think we might be over the hump.

14. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I just had an incident where I posted something, the post went through instantly (thankfully), but the animation in the top right kept going infinitely until I refreshed the page. This was with Safari on iOS 10.3.2, which is not the device I usually use. It's not a performance issue, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Can this be caused by something in the back end, or is it something on my end?

Edit: it didn't happen now on my own device (Chrome 58 on Android 4.1.2)

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've had that happen in the past even before the move - I'm convinced something just loses the plot at busy times. I don't see any error messages in the server log other than those for ES so it didn't generate an error.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Grahame - did you bounce SQL? Looks like Elasticsearch isn't running..

17. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    Yep, had to add more disk space for backups and the server bounced. I forgot ES wasn't set to start automatically, it is now.

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Thanks, Grahame!

BookExogorth likes this.
  19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I just had a server error, but tried again and it went through in less than a minute.

20. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    Been a while since anyone posted, how has the posting speed been this week everyone??

pronker likes this.
  21. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    ^:)^ Excellent.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Everything seems to be working normally for me. Good job, Grahame. Don't get cocky. =D=

23. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    It works at lightspeed for me, Grahame !

24. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    you don't want to hear this but there are double post problems in the lit board.

probably because there the replies takes some times to write (rebuttals and such). Not sure though, but the activity bar goes on and on without the post going through.

25. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    I can't help it if people are impatient :) I'm still amazed Xenforo doesn't have double-post protection.