main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books from Clones' perspectives?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kaitan ISB021, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Kaitan ISB021

Kaitan ISB021 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    Hello--mods, feel free to move this to the proper thread if necessary.

I'm desperate to find the series of books someone described that are written from the clones' perspective(s). Does this sound familiar to anyone? Does this unicorn exist? If so, could you give me some titles or direct me to the right place? Thank you!

2. bmickey

bmickey Jedi Knight

May 7, 2015
    I think you are after Karen Traviss' Republic Commando series. Although it is not canon anymore and many elements of it are overruled by the new canon it was and still is worth reading

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  3. Kaitan ISB021

Kaitan ISB021 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    EXCELLENT!--thank you for that. It's OK if it is Legends -- just looking for someone who is a big TCW/clones fan.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Traviss's TCW Legends novels (movie novelisation, and No Prisoners), while not part of the Republic Commando series, do contain a certain amount of material from the clone Rex's point of view (and Ahsoka's). Might actually be preferable to the Republic Commando series for that reason.

Ryder Windham's YA series, Breakout Squad, is also TCW-themed with clone perspective playing a major part.

For pre-TCW novels with a reasonable amount of "Clone perspective" - there's a few. The Cestus Deception in particular, has a higher percentage of it than almost any other.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Medstar books also have quite a bit on the clones.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    In the Jedi Academy trilogy the clone Dorsk 81 is one of the characters, but I don't know if any part of the story is from his perspective

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He gets his moment in the spotlight in Darksaber - and his successor, Dorsk 82, was one of the main characters in the comic Jedi Academy: Leviathan.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This should maaaaybe have been in our GENERAL QUESTIONS THREAD but, eh, it's fairly specific, so I'm fine leaving it as is.

Also, after Gamiel's comment, I can't bring myself to lock and redirect. Absolute beaut.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Generally it tends to be a scene or two at most, rather than the whole book, in pre-PT stories.

Dark Force Rising gives us a scene on Jomark from Joruus C'baoth's perspective, waiting for Luke Skywalker to eventually arrive.

Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future both have a scene from Carib Devist's perspective.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm pretty sure Kaitan is looking for clone troopers, hence "the clones' perspective", not "a clone's perspective". That and a reference to TCW/clones.

I don't want you to be misled, Kaitan. Dorsk 81 is a clone from an entire species that propagates itself with clones who becomes one of Luke's original Jedi students in Legends. He's not a clone trooper of the Republic.

Daneira and Zeta1127 like this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

AusStig and Iron_lord like this.
  12. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    revan772 and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  13. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I would highly recommend the Republic Commando series. While they may have some stupid elements, I found the books consistently enjoyable. While filled with action the books also contain plenty of mundane elements; It's a series centered around the background characters of the SW universe. It has a gritty and quite dark tone to it. This may appeal to you, or if you only like the more classic SW stories, it may seem too different. It is primarily from the clones perspective and treats them as people rather than drones. This was a highly progressive view which even TCW failed to surpass. It focuses mostly on the special forces side of things, obviously Republic Commandos, but also ARC Troopers. If you really like the soldiers of the Republic I'm willing to bet you'll like this series.

Revanfan1 and bmickey like this.
  14. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    If you're also interested in comics, Star Wars Republic #68 is an amazing issue told from Commander Bly's point of view, I highly recommend it.

15. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Hmm I never liked Bly. Just a jerk sociopath really. Didn't even hesitate to kill his commander. He freaking replied to Aayla's question right after murdering her.

16. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I've long since headcanoned that Bly and Aayla were sleeping together.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

I love Bly. He's what a clone trooper should be.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  18. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    You're far too kind. :p

With that said, before the push to portray Clones As Normal People who just happened to come out of tanks, I really liked how Bly was portrayed in sources like Republic and better still the old Reversal of Fortune comics---it was a good mix of, yeah they are people but you're still gonna be kinda weird after being trained from birth to be a soldier. He was human enough to banter with Aayla and fall in love with her (don't judge, I'll carry that torch to my grave), but he was also an officer in the GAR and his duty came first. Them's the breaks.

19. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    I'd say Delta Squad was the best portrayal of clones. Independent and human, yet they'll execute any order. It doesn't matter if they like it- they strongly disagreed with abandoning Sev, but they knew their duty. With this they still managed to be fun characters.