main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Lost Stars manga

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LelalMekha, Apr 18, 2017.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    At any rate, I had Claudia Gray confirm it to me on Twitter: Jelucan was a Seppie world.

2. Axrendale

Axrendale Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2017
    Lost Stars is probably my favorite of all the Star Wars books that I've read to date - both new and old canon - so I was absolutely thrilled to see this. My chief impressions after reading the first three chapters:

- I really like the artwork, which is nailing the vibe of classic-era Star Wars so far.

- I think it's great that the artist is taking liberties with the material - varying some elements of the characters and plot around to get a slightly different spin on the tale. Book-to-comic adaptations (in fact all types of adaptations) that just faithfully reproduce everything page-for-page and line-for-line are incredibly boring to me. The best adaptations are the ones that stay true to what made the original worth adapting in the first place, but also aren't afraid to change things up to make it a truly fresh perspective on the story.

- I'm definitely not a fan of giving Thane more POV space than Ciena however, and I really hope that will be changed in the future installments. The narrative in the book is split evenly between the two of them, but for my money Ciena is the more compelling character, and her story is the true beating heart of the book. Let's see more from her, please.

- So does anyone know if the phrase "Lost Stars" actually refers to something specific in the story, or is it just a generic romance-y title that Claudia Gray came up with for her marvelous book?

3. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    There hasn't been a new chapter yet, because the mangaka is taking a break. Nevertheless, they did post character sketches instead (under spoiler tags because of the size):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I assume the third image gives us our first look at Jude Edivon and Nash Windrider.

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Nash Windrider is Zack Fair from FFVII?

AWESOME.

[​IMG]

Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  5. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I know Imperial officers are allowed to keep their hair long, but that hairdo doesn't look like it fits the regulations!

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeaaaah, manga-style or no manga-style, I'm just not going to be able to mentally picture Nash with a ponytail more than half as long as his arm.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That ponytail is certainly a wind rider.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Ba dum tss!

(I'm less worried about the ponytail than the 15-inch long flyaway lock.)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wow that's not how I imagined those characters at all. I thought Jude was bigger. Also how the hell did Nash get that hair into the Academy? Tarkin probably took one look at that and made his decision to blow up Alderaan then and there.

Daneira likes this.
  10. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Again, I'm not sure these are meant to be Jude and Nash, but that seems logical (pale-haired female officer with freckles, long-haired thin male officer).

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You're probably right. But Nash... sheesh. They took "long hair" and ran with it. I was thinking short ponytail length, like Ganner Krieg. It's there but isn't punk Rapunzel.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    wait a minute.

How can this scene be in a young adult book? The target audience is like 13 to 19.

I may be old fashioned but surely this "don't stop" nonsense belongs in an adult book? I mean, surely I'm not that out of time...

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's quite common for YA books to allude to intimacy - they just don't show it in detail. Even 80s-era YA books have the occasional such reference.

A good rule of thumb - if it's suitable for PG-13, it's suitable for books aimed at 13 year olds.

14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, that definitely seems to be who they're intended to be.

Barriss_Coffee "punk Rapunzel." Yes. [face_laugh]

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Geez, probably-Nash looks like a Kingdom Hearts villain. In the book I wasn't originally sure what Nash was going to do after Alderaan, but here it's like "Gee, I wonder who the bad guy is . . ."

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    He's kind of a designated villain, isn't he? Barring a sequel, Nash doesn't do anything evil but voice his support for the Second Death Star.

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, he's not a villain, per se. I feel like the epilogue sort of set him up as becoming one, though. If he was a Force-user, he'd gone full-on yellow-eyed fury at that point. The petty pleasure he took in Thane's brother's incompetence definitely wasn't nice-guy Nash from the beginning of the book.

JediBatman likes this.
  18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah, that's my one issue with the book. Nash is used to show an "evil" Imperial and Ciena looks down upon him but he has no one but the Empire to fall back on and none of his friends ever reach out to him. His reasons aren't any more crazy than Ciena siding with the Empire against her own mother, just more extreme.

I do think if we ever get Lost Stars II: Thane Rescues Ciena from a Firing Squad that he WILL be a villain.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

The thing with Nash is that he was used to prove a point made by several Rebels in the book: they told Thane, regarding Ciena, "the Empire takes good people and strips away that goodness until there's nothing left of it." Ciena manages to avoid that fate, but Nash became an example of that and a cautionary tale, of sorts. He was exactly what the Rebels thought Ciena were.

Barriss_Coffee and JediBatman like this.
  20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Interestingly, I took that attitude as a sign the Rebels who talked about it were WRONG. Because Ciena was redeemable (if she needed to be redeemed at all) and all it required was someone reaching out to them with love. Those who dismissed the Imperials as evil and irredeemable were going against the films that forgiveness and love were powerful forces.

Ciena, herself, does it to Nash and dismisses him as a fanatic but as far as he knows, his only friend left in the world is a loyal Imperial like him.

Mind you, again, I think he'll probably try to kill Thane in the future or help found the First Order but I wouldn't be surprised if he also ended up dying trying to help Ciena escape the Empire in a sequel. You could go multiple directions.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Bah. My headcanon is that Ciena gets a fair trial, Thane testifies to her character and she gets released with time served. She and Thane then found an independent shipping firm and live happily ever after.

22. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Nash is somewhat of a tragic villain. His is the story of how the Empire took an idealist kid from Alderaan and turned him into a foaming zealot. In a way his story kind of parallels Ciena's, the only difference is that she eventually realized she was in denial about what the Empire was while Nash doubled down on the Imperial dogma and justifications as a coping mechanism.

Charlemagne19 and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    My headcanon is a comedy of errors which begins with Thane being horrified Ciena is going to be executed by a kangaroo trial of Rebellion soldiers. It turns out Ciena was fighting at Jakku months after the surrender agreement (which she didn't know about) and that's her "crime." Thane thus rescues her from the Rebellion, much to her annoyance and she slowly starts to come back even as she deals with the fact the surrender means she "can" leave the Empire (but Thane points out how ludicrous that rules-lawyering is). Nash finds out about their actions and gets a Imperial Special Forces crew to come after them and there's a bunch of explosions, forgiveness, and melodrama.

In the end, Nash spares Thane and returns to the First Order--believing it can be redeemed from the inside. Thane and Ciena retire back on their homeworld.

I call it, "Book I really want Claudia to write."

Vialco and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Personally I think reform it from the inside of anything is a pipe dream.

of course Ciena will get a show trial and get executed. (if there is no sequel).

If there is a sequel, she will probably renounce the empire because of love. sigh

in my headcanon Ciena will get a show trial and Nash rescues her and bring her into the first order. Thane is "struggled" ten years later by nr fantatics on the ground of "first order s ut lover. He escapes the NR, realizing beside the big three the rebel alliance is no different from the Empire morality wise. Corrupt to the core.

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Oh, we've seen TFA so we know the First Order turns out evil despite Rae Sloane's plans. The irony is that the FO *DOES* join the NO for awhile.

Eh, there's an interesting piece of fanfic I considered writing but decided against. It was a vignette where Ciena finds out that Mas Amedda (the legal head of the Empire) had surrendered the Empire and ordered all troopers to lay down their arms. In other words, that she was free to live her own life and stop fighting. Thane FINALLY catching a clue that she was Lawful Neutral is furious that she's only now following her heart because of a legal technicality.

Vialco likes this.