main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Like, Sev'rance Tann level, I guess.

2. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Tann was Supreme Commander. High level.

3. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Lok Durd, Mar Tukk, Whorm Loathsam and Nuvo Vindi all from TCW Season 1.

4. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    What is the purpose of CompForce? Civvie volunteers? MPs? Low security assignments? Normal troopers and stormtroopers seem to have most roles covered.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Lemme think of someone random... there's that one that got some weird attention from the fanart base, Sentepeth Findos, a Neimodian. Oh, and Pors Tonith is sort of low-rate. I consider him low-rate. All Toniths are low-rate. Jedi Starfighter had a Neimoidian villain... Ruuk I think it was? And there was a human with him, but I forgot that bloke's name. The one playing with trihexawhatsit -- Cavik Toth. Also would like, Sun Fac count? I'm on a role with video game villains now... ooo ooo Kul Teska! That guy was nuts!

6. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Would Dua Ningo count? He led the CIS Bulwark fleet during some battles in the Core Worlds.

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  7. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Aside from the fact that they specifically serve the interests of COMPNOR, they're also an example of the decentralization of the military. The Empire is often seen in contrast to the bureaucracy of the Republic, but the various armed forces in the Empire are a system of checks and balances designed to prevent any one organization from having too much power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  8. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    So they cover the same roles? Consistent with how Imperial organizations tend to balance eachother out.

9. mbruno

mbruno Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2010
    Some time ago, I remember seeing something a book, similar to The Jedi Path, Imperial Handbook, etc., but it was about the rebellion. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or was I imagining things?

10. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Rebel Files by Dan Wallace. It's not out yet.

BookExogorth likes this.
  11. Groznik's Ladyshave

Groznik's Ladyshave Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2017
    Hi, can I ask a quick and hopefully easy question?

I've just come back to the EU after a long break (The Crystal Star was still very new when I threw it across the room in despair). I've splurged on a bunch of books including the first several volumes of the New Jedi Order. I've also bought the Legacy Epic Collection. My question is, will reading the Legacy comics spoil the NJO? I mean specifically obviously - I'm assuming that I won't open the pages to find the galaxy under the rule of the Vong, that's fine, but I'd hate to read it and have specific events in the NJO story spoiled for me. Should I leave it on the shelf for a while, or am I safe to crack on?

Daneira likes this.
  12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    In terms of specifics... yeah, I do think it spoils a couple of major galactic events, including a major part of the endgame, if not so much on the character level.

13. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    If you're trying to avoid NJO spoilers, stay off the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCCViking likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know of any planets with islands/rocks floating in the sky?

15. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    The Floating Rock Gardens of Ryloth spring to mind.

vncredleader and Gamiel like this.
  16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think I've asked this before, but was it ever clarified why Wedge was so determined not to be promoted to general when his stated reason of believing he could do more good in a fighter cockpit than behind a desk didn't really fit with generals like Salm and Crespin (or Merrick in canon) who still personally flew into battle? Like, is there something I've forgotten about Ackbar specifically wanting him in a staff position or something?

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It wasn't just the "behind a desk" thing - it was that he didn't want to control a large force - a wing - he preferred to control a squadron.

Jedi Knight Fett and Daneira like this.
  18. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    somehow in the old canon being a squadron leader make you a squadron leader. Can't do anything else.

Not so in the new canon, where a commander (command branch) can fly a TIE fighter if she chooses. Or a stormtrooper can become an ace X-Wing pilot one moment and be a ground garrison the next.

19. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    So I was flicking through the James Khan ROTJ novel and I was fascinated by how accurate the description of how Palpatine rose to power still is considering the book came out way before the prequels and that a lot of extra details in the original OT novels have now been contradicted. So this got me thinking how much did the authors of PT era books/comics that came out from 1999 to 2005 know about what was going to happen in the then upcoming films? I think James Luceno probably knew quite a bit but what about the other authors?

Fallen Jedi Master and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Mightyrorschach

Mightyrorschach Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2017

21. mbruno

mbruno Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2010
    Completely forgot I posted this question, but thanks for the answer.

22. Clone Commander Cassius

Clone Commander Cassius Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2016
    what is a good clone wars novel that deals with clone pilots dogfighting against Sep ships, preferably one that is more clone-centrist rather than just having them rely on the jedi to help em out?

or same with OT era rebels taking out ties?

a good in "your face, blow-by-blow space battle" type of novel is what I'm looking for. Preferably with our beloved clones, but rebellion is just as good...

23. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Not sure about clones in fighters, but you can check out Karen Traviss' books, maybe in Order 66 and 501st?

Rebels taking out ties, X-Wing series by Michael Stackpole and I Jedi by Stackpole. And Wraith Squadron trilogy by Aaron Allston.

24. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    I wonder why Disney doesn't release rogue one or episode 7 in 4k.

25. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    The only story I can think of is "equipment" which was a short story tied in with Shatterpoint. You can find it in the new trade version