main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The Screaming Citadel (One-Shot, Star Wars #31-32, Doctor Aphra #7-8) (5/5 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 17, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah at this point everyone has been reading Han, Luke, and Leia stories for so long that they pretty much have developed their own opinion about how these characters should act.

The way I see it is Luke seemingly being more interested in going off and doing his own thing fits right in with where he is at currently in the ST and even through a good portion of the OT. Luke went off and spent a good portion of Ep. V concentrating on his own thing and ignored Leia's advice in ROTJ because he was more interested in his own thing than he was in what Leia or the Rebellion thought.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  2. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Yeah, still not over that. Can't remember if I've ever seen that many get through in a professional comic book. Can't believe Luke just vanished without explanation between panels. In combination with the blatant art shortcuts and the equally rushed storytelling, that issue was a real fiasco. Thankfully the next one is a bit of an improvement.

That's a good point about Han actually sticking around more than Luke. I always read Luke's decision to break from the Rebellion and search for Yoda to be an unusual moment for him, a big decision, something that could get him in trouble with his friends and superiors. I guess it was more like, "Oh that Luke, always running off!"

SilentGuy66 and Force Smuggler like this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I do like the times in Vader Down where Han was worried about Luke. Like when Han realized that Luke was on Vrogas Vos after Vader was shot down. And when Leia wanted to send everything after Vader but Han was more concerned about Luke.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Somehow this story would be much better if it was just Luke and Aphra on a creepy vampire planet…. Already lost interest something like 5 pages into part 2. [face_sigh]

5. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Also it's like they forgot c3po and r2d2 an arc ago. Jedi Ben once said about the production time, maybe more time would be better for the writer and artists

6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    What became of Aphra's Jedi Holocron personality that they wanted the Queen to unlock anyways? That was the whole reason Luke went with her to the Screaming Citadel.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I find it strange that over 15 issues 3PO remains in Vader's hands, particularly as that development felt like an event thread to be followed up on quickly.

Kind of sad that the bulk of the comments of the main book post-Vader Down isn't great. What surprises about this current crossover is that Gillen's involved and he's normally very good, but guess even he can have an off-day or few.

iPodwithnomusic and Jedi Jessy like this.
  8. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    15 issues? Wasn't 3PO kidnapped in #25 and we're currently at #32, so it's only 7 issues?

But even that is already a bit too long. Either they have forgotten the droids or they have a plan that we are not able to see at the moment.....

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

9. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    They
    The Queen released Rur or something. He is still in the crystal but talks now. The idea was that he could be a teacher for Luke.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, it was? Had thought it was part of Vader Down, if it's later then yeah, the count would be lower.

11. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    C-3PO was captured at the end of The Last Flight Of The Harbinger in issue #25.

Maybe you confused it with Aphra, because she actually was captured at the end of Vader Down by the Rebels and then "guest starred" in the Rebel Jail arc of the main Star Wars comic.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, thanks - yeah, that reduces it quite a bit, but there's solicit info for up to #35 with no sign of it being addressed so that gets us to 10 issues and 2 arcs plus later.

13. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

yeah, it seems to be falling apart rather rapidly , story and characters. Like they gave up or never had a solid premise just an idea. Maybe it will pick up again but the last issue was a dud imo. The Queen could've been interesting but all her minions are complete dullards as is she herself thus far. The vanishing magickal-Force powers was done before with Talzin and Orphne in TCW. So far I find Rur the more intriguing element and where they end up taking that thing, but knowing Aphra's antics and Luke I think the storyline may end up collapsing upon itself in the end. I do find the vampire & parasite stuff interesting though, they have a certain B movie and pulpy appeal. But the execution is key.

SilentGuy66, Gorefiend and Jedi Jessy like this.
  14. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    people people.

The queen could still become Mara Jade or not Mara Jade but Mara Jade's replacement in the NEU

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  15. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Wow. I'm finally getting to read this as I collected my month's worth of comics and I have to say, after what was written in th0is thread I was expecting total disaster.

That's not what I felt at all. There is a lot of 'this' and 'that' in this thread that I. Don't feel is justified (even some retracted or inaccurate statements just on this page) and I am wondering whether people are either speed reading or just not reading properly before they post.

I don't find Salvador's art to be any different to when he was on Darth Vader. It does appear to be coloured differently but the art is pretty much the same. Yes there is obvious light boxing (or the computer equivalent) of faces and yes, it is even easy to spot which pose they come from, but I do think it is the colouring that makes the actual look of it different from before.

Regarding the story. Yes, Luke does indeed seem to go off and do his own thing in the movies. It's not just Empire. Think Jedi - after Jabba, he goes back to Yoda and then he also leaves on Endor. If he thinks he has to do something, he's gone like a shot, no explanation. So, very in character.
    He's naive to the extreme - think the bar in Mos Eisley, think how long it took him to figure out Yoda (bascically, he didn't). I'm Ok with him having the wool pulled over his eyes.

The whole '3PO is forgotten' thing. This story is taking place extremely fast, it's just it is taking a couple of months to tell.

Maybe it's because I'm reading it in one sitting but I found it to be a lot better than this thread led me to believe.

BigAl6ft6 and revan772 like this.
  16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012

:rolleyes:

17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah though I don't think the witch storyline is all that interesting (hard for me to get into for the same reasons it was difficult for me to get into the nightsister stories in TCW) but I also don't think it is terrible and I do really enjoy the interactions with Aphra. The way I see it is that for many Luke, Han, and Leia are the most important characters in all of Star Wars in their eyes and they have significant opinions of how they see the three acting. So if they aren't described the way they want them to be then it is really offputting to them.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Also, she's Snoke.

19. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    And Rey's mom

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

20. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Don't forget Darth Plagueis.

21. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    We already explained several times why we didn't like this arc and it's nothing about what you said. This thread became like Colin's:
    "here is why we have problems with Colin directing"
    "anyway why people have problem with Colin work??"
    "again, here is wh-"

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  22. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    Is there any thing wrong with "this thread became like Colin's"

I mean, I got to ask

Did Colin write The book of Henry
    Did Colin write Jurassic World

If Colin wrote the book of Henry and Jurassic World then he can stay
    If he wrote neither book of Henry nor the Jurassic World, he can stay
    If Colin wrote the book of Henry but not Jurassic World, then he has to go.

23. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Darth Plagueis is Rey's mom?

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  24. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Via time travel, he's her mother, her father, her kidnapper, and Unkar Plutt together. He's also Rey herself.

BigAl6ft6, Vthuil, DelRiego and 3 others like this.
  25. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    That's fine. However it is probably best not to bring the utter crap that is going on in that Colin Trevorrow thread now into here.