main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Colin Trevorrow NOT directing Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkMark

DarkMark Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 6, 2002
    Surely wishful thinking, but who knows. Plenty of mainstream magazines and websites are openly asking whether he should be doing IX, so this isn't just a fan thing.

2. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    My guess is Disney will keep a low profile to see how far or long this fire storm lasts before doing anything drastic. The movie was just released...

3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Handled properly, it wouldn't be disastrous at all. In fact, it could be hugely positive.

Here's how I would play it. Wait a few months so that it's not clear to the general audience that the decision is 100% because of the terrible reviews of BoH. Then announce that Colin T. has moved to Executive Producer of IX, and bring on a really good, critically-acclaimed female director if you can (like Bigelow, Jenkins, McLaren), noting the importance of completing Rey's arc in as satisfying a way as possible. Yes, you won't fool most people in the trades and fandom. This means that there wasn't full faith in Colin. But if you bring on a fantastic director, and seem to be sensitive to concerns about the portrayal of women (esp. in the wake of Wonder Woman's extraordinary success) this will ultimately be covered as a bold and excellent move by Kathleen Kennedy. IMO, of course.

The alternative is to just bring on a fixer like Gilroy to help Trevorrow. But I feel that would result in more bad press than the above option.

4. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    Maybe it was the film's distributer who realized they had a dud on their hands and wish to just sweep it under the rug. That's a huge possibility too.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

5. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    McLaren would be most likely in that bunch. Kathrine Bigelow seems to want to do dramas, these days. Patty Jenkins isn't contracted for WW2 so she's in an EXCELLENT bargaining position for one hell of a payday that she's be insane to pass up. Those aren't the only female directors on the planet, anyway. The Babadook's Jennifer Kent, Sofia Coppola, American Psycho's Mary Harron, Jen and Sylvia Soska (if they have their heart set on indie talent)...

The list goes on.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  6. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    cameron.osborn and Ricardo Funes like this.
  7. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016

Oh, definitely. I was just thinking of the most likely choices (and directors that I enjoy). DuVernay, for example, was not on my list, but that's because I believe she's booked up.

8. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    *OH GOODIE* More sexist undertones!

9. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014

DuVernay is still making Wrinkle in Time. Doubtful she'd be done with it before pre-production needs her on IX.

10. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Sigh. They really have his back, don't they?

11. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    At this rate we will probably end the trilogy with Rey deciding instead of being a Jedi what she really wants to marry Finn and raise babies (if it werent for KK I could genuinely see that happening).

12. jujukane

jujukane Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 20, 2016
    Maybe Colin really will make her marry Kylo:eek:

13. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    In my worst case scenario thoughts, I imagine Colin having Rey become disillusioned, but instead of overcoming that on her own, it is Luke or Finn who give her a pep speech on what is wrong with her and how she needs to change to overcome her adversities. That being what brings her around. Lol.

14. DarkMark

DarkMark Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 6, 2002
  15. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Good for Claudia. Dumb as bricks, knee-jerk response from Pablo Hidalgo, though. And it seems he recognized that in his second tweet.

16. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016
    I'm not surprised by Pablo.

17. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

You know for all the talk and stuff what do people actually think is the REALISTIC scenario not the one people want, but what is most likely gonna happen.

19. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    We certainly diverge a fair bit regarding Rey and Jyn's character arcs, but both are vastly superior to Trevorrow's usual portrayal of female characters. It's night and day, the difference between the apes killing each other below 2001's Monolith and astronauts exploring the universe.

Exactly this. His instincts are terrible, the execution is pedestrian and it's all compounded by an inability to comprehend why people have major issues with his choices. He apologizes frequently for his bat**** crazy comments but it comes off more as placating than as the result of genuine understanding.

20. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    From a career perspective, I think it unlikely that Treverrow will voluntarily step down' if BOH is a failure, if he's ambitious he'll (sorry for mixed metaphors) want to get back on the bike and try to hit a home run with IX to get his reputation up - stepping away from Star Wars would be an admission that he isn't up to the job.

From Lucasfilm's perspective, a lot depends on two factors - how happy they are with what Treverrow has brought to Star Wars behind the scenes so far, and also how much traction the backlash gets, and if it shows any signs of slowing; if Lucasfilm aren't massively happy with what he's done so far, I'd not be surprised if they cut their losses and gave him a big pay-off but allowed him to walk away for health reasons or something. If they are happy with what he's planning (and let's remember that he'll want to up his game significantly for this one, it's the gig of a lifetime) then I think it's highly possible that he'll be carefully stage managed and won't be the public face of IX the way JJ was for TFA, and the cast and KK will do a lot more publicity to make up the gap.

cwustudent and Master of None like this.
  21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Love the metaphor.

Well since we don't know what counts as a good ending for episode 9 (Apart from probably a happy one) then i guess we just gotta make sure the backlash gets bigger i suppose.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Keeping and carefully managing the guy who directed JW would be feasible; they probably decided that when they hired him, and the financial success of the movie helped quite a bit. Managing the guy who directed the Book of Henry is still possible, but a lot more challenging. The movie won't do well at the BO, is being ripped apart by critics, and is apparently very laughable at a technical level. If they choose to acknowledge the underlying issues with Trevorrow's work that pop up again there as far as sexist and misogynistic themes go, it's harder to manage still. And then if too many people discover and watch Home Base... then they've got a real issue on their hands.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

IDK, I think Colin seems like the manageable one....Heck that's always been my feeling why they hired him in the first place because he was the closest to Richard Marquand. I always thought he was a facilitator for the start waaaaaaaaaay before any of this started.

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  24. before_the_dark

before_the_dark Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2016
    Man, Home Base is both a terrible film and really gross. This could be a nightmare for LFL if Home Base starts getting a lot of attention. I assumed he had to have been in college when he made it, but he was 25 when it was released in 2002, so it's hard to write it off as youthful stupidity.

As it happens, I am about the same age as Treverrow, and I was in a creative writing program in 2002, so I have some point of comparison in terms of the maturity of writers in their early to mid twenties. I am not a screenwriter, but I took an adaptation course and had several working screenwriters in my fiction workshops. If someone had brought in a draft of Home Base, they would have been laughed out of the room. I'm sure he's matured quite a bit since 2002, but it strikes me as a profoundly unimaginative work made by someone sorely lacking in self awareness.

I have not seen BOH or SNG, so I'm trying to keep an open mind about them, but the reviews of BOH sound awful. JW was okay, and shows that CT is capable of running the show on a big budget film, but nothing in it gives me confidence that he can effectively handle the characters created in TFA and developed in TLJ. Maybe he'll surprise us, but it's hard to understand why he was chosen for IX. Seems like a very high downside and relatively low upside choice.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  25. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I dunno if I agree - there's clearly a snowball effect going on, and I definitely think there are valid questions to be asked of Treverrow and the decision to hire him (and personally, a fair bit rides on how well this is handled) but I think that where I am is that I think he shouldn't have been hired, and there should have been more scrutiny of his work and attitudes. But that having been hired, he hasn't yet committed any offence that is in itself a firing offence, and if he's sacked for sexist themes in his films, that could get incredibly messy.

To an extent, I think there are two issues here - there is the sexism (and people who are in the camp of wanting him removed entirely on this basis have good cases, I think, though I think it's more likely that he'll be kept on a tight leash and not allowed to **** up this film) and then there is the fear that a person who made a film as terrible as BOH apparently is, after the divisive, functional but forgettable JW, can't make a good Star Wars film; and on that note, I think I'm happy to give Lucasfilm the benefit of the doubt for now - they've demonstrated that they will take action if need be, and they've got a 2 out of 2 hit rate on new movies as far as I'm concerned (though I know not everyone agrees)

I've just tweeted denofgeek a link to Home Base because I do think this is a discussion that should be had

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.