main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Kyle Katarn return to canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That's what happens when you give Jello admin status.

2. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I'm no fan of NuCanon, but regardless I have a method for recanonization. Worldbuilding elements like weapons, ships, ancient history, organizational structure and offscreen/page characters should all be kept. Important characters and specific stories should NOT be kept. All EU stories past TPM should not be re-introduced. Important characters in these stories shouldn't either. With this said, I don't think Kyle Katarn should be brought back. This is a reboot and a good character should not be ripped from his/her universe.

AusStig and JediBatman like this.
  3. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    While I wouldn't want this as an inflexible, unbreakable rule, if used as a general guideline I like this approach. There are exceptions of course (I said earlier that I like what they've done with Thrawn), but it's much easier to re-canonize background elements, world building, and lore, than it is to re-canonize major, galaxy-shaking characters who were originally tailor made for specific, no longer canon storylines. Again, not saying that it can't be done well or should never be done, but it requires extra thought and effort on the writer's part.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Honestly, I have no problem just canonizing the majority of stories which don't contradict the main character's history once the galaxy's new future is settled.

At least in terms of Halagad_Ventoring the whole business.

AusStig likes this.
  5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The new universe will only be "settled" once they decide they're going to discontinue it and launch a new new universe.

AusStig and spicer like this.
  6. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Which, for the record, I think they will. The Legends thing was the Crisis on Infinite Earths, and when we have too much continuity this time around, we'll get a Zero Hour.

TrandoJedi, AusStig and Daneira like this.
  7. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Nah. We have Kanan

8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    What's the rationale for any of this, though?

Vialco likes this.
  9. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The Kyle we knew would need to be severely rewritten I would say in order to fit into neo-canon(that has either copied, borrowed and retold/reinterpreted much of the old), not sure how much of that character though would be the same at the end of the day. Same problem exists for Mara Jade. But I think they could do it while giving them a bit of a different spin. But I don't see the harm he could do, or even Dash.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And you think that'll be the end of it, huh?

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    A lot of people keep trying to keep the two universes separate. When Thrawn shows up alongside Armand Isard, Sate Pestage, and so on--it makes it harder to divide the two.

Which is fine by me.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    I'm glad with Isard and Pestage. They're important figures in the Empire. However, with Thrawn, unless they re-introduce the UR conquest, he's replaceable. He doesn't need to be in the NuCanon.

13. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I guess I meant more that not only will "worldbuilding elements" inevitably change as the universe changes (and already have), but an argument can be made that a many other elements contribute to the world. It's incredibly conspicuous, for example, for the Chiss to be canon if Thrawn is not.

14. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Eh, I wouldn't mind. I think the setting should be the same, but the story different.

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    If they ever bring Kyle Katarn back to canon, it'll be in a video game which either retells his origin or provides a new one. Which may be good or bad.

[​IMG]

Voltron64 likes this.
  16. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    Why do people think Kanan is the new Katarn?
    I been watching the rebel tv mainly because of the lightsaber show, and I just don't see how Kanan qualify as Katarn.
    I mean, if anyone can just get a freighter and have a moderately attractive will they wont' they girl friend for a pilot, anyone can be Katarn?

17. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I was honestly just grateful enough for his Bryar pistol in Battlefront. I say include him as a playable character in Battlefront 2 or some future video game as a bonus skin, but beyond that... maybe it's time to move on and embrace new characters.

Revanfan1, V-2 and comradepitrovsky like this.
  18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I suppose it's because Kyle Katarn's archetype is he's a roguish Rebel Alliance Special Forces operative with a bad attitude who is a half-trained Jedi in a relationship with his Rebel pilot partner. Basically a Han and Luke hybrid.

Then throw in the fact he was archenemies with a character who suspiciously resembles Jerec.

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

His introduction was stealing THE death star plans.

Now I know ham fists conspired to make it so that there were many components to the plans, but that was a stupid idea.

So... if Rogue One contradicts his story...

//makes flushing sounds

AusStig likes this.
  20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Hey, the Moldy Crow is could be at the Battle of Scarif!

21. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I think when it comes to bringing characters over from Legends it should always be limited to those who could feasibly stand outside of the exact story in which they originally appeared and if they can exist within the new universe without intruding with what the filmmakers and the like are planning. Thrawn makes sense in that way because his storyline in Legends was mostly something that existed independently from the main Skywalker saga, and when it did sort of crossover with Heir to the Empire and that whole trilogy it was still a remarkably impersonal conflict.

So really I'd think that when it comes to future Legends characters they'll need to follow that criteria to an extent. Characters like Prince Xizor, Talon Karrde, Revan, etc could probably be brought over without too much trouble. Kyle Katarn and Dash Rendar are two that I suppose could make the jump, but the real estate in the narrative might be getting smaller and smaller.

V-2 likes this.
  22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Really, it's the roles which will create the openings, IMHO. Thrawn came out because he's a very recognizable character that is actually very easy to add menace to a role which people normally consider to be a bunch of Keystone Cops: I.e. Imperial Admirals. The Rebels can't be chased by Darth Vader without diminishing Vader or vader killing them and they killed the Grand Inquisitor so someone who could terrify the audiences (at least a little) was needed. The fact it was a bonus for fanboys helped.

Prince Xizor is certainly possible because we saw a bunch of Falleen with Darth Maul.

But we're more likely, I think, to see characters who are VERY MUCH ALIKE EU characters.

Fenn Rau and Fenn Shysa are, IMHO, the same character but for a name change. However, they are different characters.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Wookieepedia's already started doing that, based on a couple of tweets from Leland Chee about assuming ship names and species will likely not change, but it just means everything's being ported over wholesale with no regard for context or potential creativity. It's nice to have elements return, but it shouldn't be an automatic, dispassionate process for the sake of returning to the previous status quo; bring something back when it serves a story, or it can be explored enough so that it isn't just "Alien is an Alienanan from the planet Alienooine".

Kyle doesn't seem to have a place (yet). We've got Force-sensitive mercenaries, we've had the Death Star plans, we've got undercover agents reporting to Mon Mothma, and Luke Skywalker's Jedi haven't been touched yet. There's not really a gap for him currently.

24. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    That's probably going to be the prevailing method,yeah. Though, I do think in some instances there'll be a level of discretion amongst individual creators when it comes to the reintroduction of some of the older characters, within reason of course. Timothy Zahn wouldn't be able to bring back Mara on a whim, but if, for instance, he wanted to use a reference to some kind of alien warlord then I wouldn't imagine he'd have any trouble using, for example, Nuso Esva.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

I agree, if Rogue One contradicts His story, we should flush Rogue One down the toilet. No one contradicts Kyle Katarn. No one.