main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    uh

show me anything in SW that will work without its primary reactor.

------------------------------------
    If I were Emperor Palpatine:

The Empire could have just hid the death star 2 until it was finished finished (without the exhaust port) and when the rebel fleet was bigger no doubt after getting stronger or whatnot. Just go to every known rebel sympathizer planet such as Sullust and Fresia and say tell me where the rebel base is or we will destroy your planet. Traitors will come.

Then when the rebel ships show up, just fire when ready commander and destroy everything.

The only way the death star 2 got destroyed was because it wasn't finished. Even if the shield generator get destroyed the superstructure should be enough to withstand rebel firepower until the superlaser destroy every single rebel ship that comes in.

So how could they get Luke to turn to the dark side?

What is the hurry? At most there will be two Jedi and when death star 2 gets finished Palpatine could just send Vader.

Oh wait what it Vader turn?

Palpatine could just go and electrify the three of them or send like 100 legions of his best troops.

2. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Again, there's a big difference between "sabotage the machine in a subtle way so that someone could blow it up under the right circumstances" and "sabotage it so that it blows up when it fires". Galen is not the only scientist and engineer working on it. The weakness he added (whether it was the exhaust port or just the reactor flaw) only stayed there because it was subtle. Fiction or not, I won't buy that rigging the Death Star to explode the first time it fires a planet killing beam is a tiny change that no one will notice.

3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Agreed. I would not be surprised if Draven suffers from ptsd or something based on how he operates. I would love to see what he is like during the end of the war. It would be cool to see if he climbed back out of all that paranoia and hate down the line. I like how he is one of the people who is just so broken by the Empire that he sees them as nothing but inhuman monsters in a lot of ways.

I can just imagine Galen trying to distract the other scientists from the fact that he rigged it to blow when it does, you know, the thing it was made to do. That is like the one thing they will be looking at again and again. The reactor is brilliant cause it is not combat related, the firing mechanism is so important that it is bound to be checked every day or so.

JediBatman and Nickname320 like this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Draven's thinking is likely: He created the Death Star for them, if he continues to live what else will he also create for them?

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Only if he remains in their hands. A "If the Imperials are about to recapture him from you, shoot him" order isn't as unreasonable as "Just kill him" given after his potential opposition to the Empire has been revealed.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, but Draven doesn't appear to have considered that as a possibility.

vncredleader likes this.
  7. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It is possible they meant Raddus was in charge of the fleet they had assembled there...and Ackbar is still the most senior officer in the Fleet but is currently overseeing the refitting of the Mon Cal ships.

vncredleader likes this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Actually, one of the things I find fascinating in the novelization is that initially, Cassian feels much worse about shooting Tivik, his contact on Kafrene, then he does about the possibility of killing Galen. Tivik was an innocent man who was a victim of the necessities of war; Galen is an Imperial weapons designer.

Nobody145, Jedi Ben and vncredleader like this.
  9. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    That.....actually make a lot of sense. Maybe Ackbar is better at like the high command stuff and so he is staying back to manage the retrofitting and resources while Raddus does the offensive in the meantime

Yeah to Draven someone who built a planet killer does not get benefit of the doubt.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
  11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I don't necessarily agree with Draven's order, but extracting someone like Galen Erso wouldn't be easy, especially when it was unknown how sympathetic he would be to their cause. Its just easier to kill a scientist before he builds something worse than extract him and hope he's willing to help and/or that he remembers enough to help. Decisions like those are part of war (and whether holding the moral high ground is important to you or not). I have a bit of a problem with how relatively easy it was for Rebel X-wings to raid the lab, but guess the movie was just going for drama (since Krennick conveniently had just ordered most of the Death Star design team onto an open platform where they'd be easy targets).

They did try to cancel the strike, but too late by then. The old Warfare guide touched on how far the Rebel Alliance was going to go, with various leaders split on what was acceptable. I miss the old leadership of Mothma, Organa and Bel Iblis. The various Ministers we saw in Rogue One didn't exactly inspire confidence. And the more we hear about Mothma in post-RotJ, the more annoyed I am. She has a few good moments, but most of it is used as set-up for TFA than anything else, unfortunately.

The Rebels cartoon focuses on a few cells, we had roving infantry like Twilight Company, Saw Gerrara's partisans were so extreme that the main Alliance cut ties with them, I hope we get more background on that eventually rather than "the heroes of Yavin escape from Vader from the umpteenth time" I-) ).

12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I don't see any reason that Ackbar would be over Raddus at this point. Raddus is on the Rebel Council and described as commander of the fleet. The exact same roles Ackbar fills later on. It seems very clear that Raddus was the top admiral of the Alliance at this point. What Ackbar was doing prior to assuming the role of fleet commander remains to be seen.

--Adm. Nick

Snafu55, vncredleader and Vialco like this.
  13. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I'd imagine something on the logistics side.

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The reason I'm a fan of him being involved at Telaris is that in the old EU Ackbar was responsible for a lot of ship design, including the B-wing project, MC90, and Viscount-class. It would make sense that if Ackbar had engineering/design skills that he would put them to good use building up the Alliance Navy. Heck, have him overseeing the projects being conducted by Quarrie too. ;)

--Adm. Nick

vncredleader and Vialco like this.
  15. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    It would be nice to know what's taking so long with the B-Wing production. We haven't seen that thing since Season Two Rebels, where it tore up a light cruise by itself.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Remember, each Rebel cell can/does use different assets. Some, like the CR90 corvette or Y-wing, are ubiquitous. Other warships, like the MC80, Neb-B, or B-wing may be less common and/or used only be larger cells.

--Adm. Nick

17. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I like your idea a lot. I just imagine Ackbar in his element with a bunch of graphs and blueprints in the Telaris system. Him getting pulled away from that is sad for him I bet. I wonder if we will maybe even have him be the one who suggests acquiring the X-wings after he analyses the fleet's performance.

18. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I like your idea a lot. I just imagine Ackbar in his element with a bunch of graphs and blueprints in the Telaris system. Him getting pulled away from that is sad for him I bet. I wonder if we will maybe even have him be the one who suggests acquiring the X-wings after he analyses the fleet's performance.

19. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
  20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
  21. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

About damn time! (assuming this is canon).

MC20 corvette and Sullustan dreadnaught. Finally, an onscreen Sullustan ship (aside from the Quasar Fire-class)

vncredleader likes this.
  22. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    and

Not for nothing, but an old canon source (X-Wing) had Ackbar commanding a flotilla of of MC80s and MC40s in the VERY rough vicinity (like...same galactic quadrant) of Telaris before Scarif/Yavin. Wanting to divert the Empire's attention from Telaris and believing that sustained, low-intensity operations were vital for training a generation of Rebel pilots, crewers, and soldiers, Ackbar would have believed that having his ships take the fight to the Empire was far more important than endlessly orbiting the Telaris yards.

As with many things, we can kinda make X-Wing fit pretty well if you only judge it by broadest strokes.

23. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Nah, they look like fanmade miniatures.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    They are fan miniatures. But the images they're based on are real.

That said, the designations are, as far as I can tell, fanon too - there's no "Sullustan Dreadnought" or "MC20" pages on the databank, and it would surprise me if there are references to either of those in upcoming books, that specifically clarify that the ships in the images, are them.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Ha! I must've been thinking of Hiram Drayson.

26. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    That's my point. It doesn't matter since they don't have an official profile.

27. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Neither did some of Fractalsponge's creations. Then they gained official profiles.

Maybe Mel could be the next Fractalsponge?