main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    People do that all the time.

Dante1120, Gamiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, that's just weird to me if it's family, unless it's a parent or grandparent. Personal taste.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The latter would match up amazingly well with the Rey Palpatine theory -- Snoke's a bloke constantly looking over his shoulder fearing Palpatine might show up again, and then he finds out his nemesis might have had a grand-daughter...

Not sure if this is a spoiler, but:
    come to think of it, how amazing would it be if Ghost-Hayden got to confront the offspring of Palpatine? I wasn't a fan of Rey Palpatine or this rumor of Ghost Hayden, but this might be cool. Add in Rey's parents possibly running not from some dark lord, but Luke -- maybe they don't want to give her up? Certainly both Luke and Snoke would be after Palpatine's family, in one way or another. They'd probably be on the run from both of them, especially Snoke. Maybe that's why Snoke wants to train Kylo ASAP, Rocky-style -- the Heir of Vader could be his only hope since Vader killed Palps.

Dr. Steve Brule and Gamiel like this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Eh double post -- close-up of Lego-Snoke leaked:

Basically he's Goldmember from Austin Powers... removed

Also TLJ Lego Finn's reaction to the above:

[​IMG]

MercenaryAce, Ghost, Vthuil and 5 others like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Man, this thread has become a horror show, I mean really....

Sidious' spawning offspring requires certain acts....

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Between TLJ and Twin Peaks, Laura Dern is getting some good roles this year from a hairstyle perspective.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Since Palpatine and Plagueis made Anakin, wouldn't that mean that Luke is his grandson? Leia his granddaughter?

8. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Did they, though?

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Palpatine heavily implied it in ROTS. In the EU, it was more a side effect.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Palpatine literally looks at Anakin and says "Use the midi-cholrians to create life" in a breathless manner. If anything, McDirmid seems to be playing it like Palpatine (or Plageius) had direct influence on Anakin's creation.

11. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Harry Potter did it.... Though it was not particularly well received by the fans :mad:

12. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Ugh

I haven't read the most recant literature for the potterverse, but I did find out about that horrible plot point.

I always saw You Know Who to be asexual and aromantic. At least that's what the other books implied to me. He seeing himself above those things. Now were stuck with the horrifying picture that a certain Lady Who I Won't Name played around with his wand, and this all happened off screen and never mentioned in the series. A dumb retcon that wasn't needed.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The book came out a year ago so I think we're good.

It was pretty obvious about those 2 characters in the books, JKR even told the actress for Bellatrix the deal when making Movie 5. It's not like You Know Who viewed it in a romantic way, but as a way to continue the sacred bloodline and form the perfect servant.

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, I think with both Voldemort and Palpatine people mostly just prefer to think of them as totally non-sexual because the alternative is icky to contemplate. :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, Voldemort and Bellatrix were obviously hooking up.

Also, he canonically did have a daughter.

Palpatine was involved with Isard, one Queen of Naboo, Roganda Ismaren, and allegedly had a Twilek harem.

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, I've actually never been sure whether Palpatine was ever confirmed to be involved with anyone or if it was all just dubious rumors and/or cover stories for his Hands, but that was sort of my point - whether it'd be in his character to ever potentially have descendants or not is actually besides the point for most people objecting to it, since what they're really objecting to is having to imagine Palpatine doing the kinds of things that would produce offspring. (I seriously wonder if, should 'Rey Palpatine' actually be true, the details will involve some sort of weird Sith alchemy or midi-chlorian experiment for just this reason).

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    They did that with Triclops in fact.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Is there any confirmation anywhere that Palpatine wasn't already married during the PT?

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It was pretty obvious in books 4-7 that Bellatrix was in love with Voldemort, so much that I could not figure out why her husband didn't just leave. I assumed that Voldemort was incapable or unwilling to have romantic feelings for anyone but he would not say no to sex.

I did have an issue with their having a child together though, specifically the retconning of book 7 to make Bellatrix pregnant and/or a child being present in Malfoy Manor with all the Death Eaters.

As far as Palpatine, I could see a similar situation with him, in fact I could easily see him charming a woman in the PT era or earlier and then having a child on Naboo.

I'm not particularly interested in Rey being a Palpatine descendent though.

20. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    He portrayed himself as a bit of a playboy in his early Senate years in Darth Plagueis. How much of that was a front, who knows; the man's certainly got charisma and that Ian McDiarmid charisma when he's not in Emperor mode.

21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    If only Rey had three eyes, we'd know for sure.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

It does lend a certain resonance to "If I had sons, I would be proud to give them up to the service of the Dark Lord" at the start of book 6.

Indeed, maybe that's the moment when she thought - "Hey, if I talk Voldemort into it, I could do that."

23. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
  24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Roganda Ismaren

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    fett 4 and Barriss_Coffee like this.