main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #34 Posted: Sonnets Roulette! (4/17, p. 92, #2282)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Answer to discussion question:
    For Thrawn and Minerva, you bet I have! All of my one shots involving these two revolve around this very topic, in some shape or form. They are:
    La Vie En Rose
    Winter Rose Suite (at the end)
    Samhain Symphony
    Eine Klein Nachtmusik

2. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Answer

I have not. This may be a good idea for a future fic or chapter.
    The problem for my fics is all of my OCs who is age appropriate are killed, or no eligible bachelor/bachelorette for them yet in the story. My other OCs are either already married or too old :(

I'm not sure anyone can stop writing engagement/marriage customs that are not some ways earthlike.

I would like to see what others think

3. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I am sucker for old time (Edwardian/Victorian era) style weddings after watching Matthew and Mary's wedding on Downton Abbey. Also, I give my weddings a military feel.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    What if instead of celebrating wedding/engagements the customs is to survive traditional assassination attempts, and if they last the night, they are considered married in the eyes of divinity and men?

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  5. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Are you kidding me? Two (technical) Time Lords getting hitched- extra heavy security- Strax, Vestra and Jenny as bodyguards.

Sith-I-5 and DARTH_MU like this.
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    RE: crack-ships. Oh dear. I once started a Han/Callista crack-ship fic inspired by Harrison Ford's marriage to Calista Flockheart. It was frightening and I couldn't finish it. I've tried to pull it out for multiple April Fools, but I can NEVER DO THAT TO POOR HAN.

But I'll see what I can come up for this challenge.

I've depicted several engagements/weddings and yeah, they are difficult to prevent them from becoming too "earth-like" (specifically western christian) and I've probably failed miserably in that aspect. But I'm not sure the profic writers did much better (*cough* BIG PUFFY WHITE DRESS FOR LEIA ON THE COVER OF COPL *cough* ALL OF UNION). In my Courtship of Prince Bail fic, things were rather earth-like for the engagement (he asked her with a ring), but I TRIED to get away from that with the wedding. I did have her in a white dress (though I established that it was more traditional for an Alderaan bride to wear colour) as a bit of a nod to COPL, but I had it so that both mothers walked the groom down the aisle and both fathers would walk the bride (though I did have a same-sex wedding in that fic that had a bit of an alternate take). I also had the bride walk with a bowl of water that was a part of the ceremony.

Basically, yeah, I find it hard to keep what we think of when it comes to engagements/weddings from seeping into SW fics, but I think it's okay as long as it fits the culture. I wouldn't expect any moisture farmer to have a grand, opulent wedding.

7. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005

Chewie/Leia?

8. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    That was hilarious!​

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Nope. Never.

Not sure if this is becoming a theme, but I RP'd security, for either a wedding or coronation for an Imperial-era Anakin Skywalker and the queen / princess of the GM's made up planet.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  10. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I wrote an engagement and a wedding for an OC (actually a couple of OCs). Sometimes I think "earth-like" means, to many people, "Western."

I think you need to establish a culture, and what that culture values, before you can write the wedding. For example, I once wrote a romance between a Twi'lek woman and a human man, and it worked because we were discovering the cultural details of the Twi'lek culture along with the groom. You have to have a place to start - in this case, since it's established that the Twi'lek culture is strongly male dominated, I extrapolated. The groom in a Twi'lek marriage controls the wedding and holds the right of refusal of his bride at any time. When she marries, she becomes incorporated into the groom's family and breaks all ties to her own, since her family is not of importance to the groom. You start with the culture and the traditions reflect that.

You're inevitably going to have some earth-like qualities in the wedding or engagement. The trick is to make those pieces match your created culture. One of the weddings I wrote had an altar and a cleric, but that fit the society and culture. The cleric was there to advise the couple and oversee the proceedings; the altar held the symbolic items that they used in the ceremony.

As much as I love Luke/Mara, their wedding in Union was not my favorite. It was way, way too western - the spa day with the girls, the over-the-top bachelor party, the white dress, the traditional tux, the 10,000 bridesmaids.... there was nothing new and there was no clear explanation as to why these things belonged in the GFFA. I much prefered the glimpse of the Jedi wedding. That was the one I really would rather have seen more of.

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I love that this is a collab with the Fanon thread, great idea!!

Discussion: Have you ever depicted the engagement/marriage of your OTP, and if so, how and did you keep it from being too earth-like?

I'm pretty positive I have. I once had Luke marry someone else and after she died he married Mara, but for the life of me I can't remember if I showed the weddings or not. Maybe I should go back and reread some of my old stories. :p

But I'm sure if I did, they were probably way too western. I feel like, at least for people of western cultures, that's an easy trap to fall into. Most everyone has been to at least one wedding, if not many. It's a comfortable idea (of how they are, not that it's a comfortable idea for everyone to get married) and it's easy to get caught up in the romance of it and not think about how it may be different in a GFFA. Especially because what we've seen has been very western.

Aaanndd now I kinda want to write a wedding fic just to explore it in a different way.

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    v
    Union was campy, cheesy and great. But an example of good world/culture-development, it was not (save for the Jedi Wedding, but that wasn't really developed).

I think one of the issues with weddings is that they are largely centred around religion - different cultures may have different variations and elements, but even the very secular weddings I've been to mirrored the very Christian weddings I've attended. With the exception of some traditions, at the core, all the weddings I've been to have been pretty similar - which is two people exchange vows/promises in front of witnesses and an authority figure. You (typically) don't have that religion aspect in the GFFA (unless you have introduced one into that specific fic), so I feel like you have to bring some familiar elements into it. The GFFA universe isn't 100% alien from our world. Of course there is such a thing as going too far with the western/earthisms (UNION!). But if you look at the wedding scene in AOTC, Padmè is in a white lace dress, so that the audience knows it is a wedding.

Plus, I've only been to a handful of weddings in my life. How many weddings does the average person go to in their life? Maybe one every year? Perhaps this is westernism coming in again, but save for decorations, colours, and locations, there isn't much variation to be inspired by. And I'm not sure media can be much help.

I'm not sure what my point is with this. I guess, to write a "good" wedding in the GFFA, boil what a wedding is down to it's most basic components, then go from there. But also don't feel too bad if some familiar elements slip in, the profic writers - and even George Lucas - didn't do much better our give us much to go on.

I don't like writing weddings anyways (shocker, I know) - even fics based on earth - so for the most part, I just write what comes to me.

13. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    We still don't have an official name for Luke/Mara 'ship. Lumar? Maruke? Jadewalker?

14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    People usually call it just L/M.

15. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    right, but Jacen/Tahiri, J/T is Jahiri, which FOT J made CANON!@!@!@1
    Ben Skywalker/Seha Dorvald, B/S is the good ship Beneha. (I was a crew man on board)
    Ben Skywalker/Tahiri B/T is Beniri (Where is that sock?! I ran it for sometime and gave it to my apprentice, who vanished, it seems.... full disclosure, I don't remember her name anymore)
    Mara/Anakin Solo is Marakin, there was probably a Marakin sock, but there's like at least 10 threads back in the day. All started by Thrawn McEwok......

16. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    Jacen Tahiri is not canon in any way.
    Maybe Caedus/Tahiri and even that was rather controversial and later said to be ambigous by the authors.

And what´s wrong with just saying Luke/Mara or L/M?

17. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    nothing.

Anyway, if people are interested I think I can get the Church of Benirianism started again. It had a longer name, but I was convinced to change it to Church of Benirianism. with the lack of Beniri, I might need to register Benhiri or Benirianism..... Hm.....

18. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    on marriage of people in the GFFA, at least in the native basic speaking population, maybe there is/should not be a minister/wedding ring stuff, maybe everything should be what we consider common law.
    This is because there is obviously no religion in GFFA. Believing in the Force does not count.

19. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, most marriages in all parts of the world boil down to 2 people consenting to a marriage in front of witnesses (sometimes the bride and groom, sometimes the groom and the bride's father). Usually, there is an exchange of gifts or money. Everything else seems to be window dressing. So, if you keep that essential, you can go crazy... "The groom fights his way through an arena of hungry Rancors while the bride tries to find the wedding teapot that his parents have hidden somewhere in the forest... then..."

Actually, if I am remembering, in the Elizabethan era, it was enough to simply declare that you INTENDED to marry each other. The ceremony was a formality. The declaration was what made it legal.

leiamoody and MartyAvidianus like this.
  20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Kinda. Pre-about the Tutor era (I honestly don't remember the right era), yeah, you only needed a witness and you were basically married. The whole ceremony thing is really only a recent phenomenon.

21. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Briannakin

On the note about the challenge, I posted my entry already. However, it seems to have gotten lost among the discussion answers. Should I repost it?[/quote]

22. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    wait a minute, for challenge stories, we are supposed to post our story here on this thread instead of the Fanfic boards? I posted my challenge for OC challenge on the main board....

23. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yes, that's the right place for the story itself. What you can post in the challenge thread is a link to the story, but even there it's worth double checking the rules of the particular thread: there are a few that require authors to PM their story links instead of publicly posting them. (In this one it's ok to post the link to a challenge entry, though.)

mavjade likes this.
  24. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    When you say PM story links does it have to be hidden in a url = /url link, or can it be in naked http://www style? Or does it not matter?

25. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I think it doesn't really matter, though using the url tag is certainly tidier.

DARTH_MU likes this.