main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What IF Ben Kenobi didn't lie to Luke (edit)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JMaster Luke, Jun 19, 2017.

?

How would luke react if he was told the whole truth

1. Join Kenobi. Become Jedi and try to kill Vader

3.7%
  2. Join Kenobi. Become Jedi and try to save Vader

29.6%
  3. Leave Kenobi. Find Vader and join him

18.5%
  4. Leave everything. Would want nothing to do with the force

48.1%
  1. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I was wondering what would of happened if Ben Kenobi just told Luke the whole truth up front? I would like to ask and see what people think. I also made a fun edit of this scenario.

Myself personally....i think if Obi-Wan explained everything with care Luke may have still joined him. The only problem i see is that Kenobi (and Yoda) kept telling Luke to kill Vader. If Obi Wan pushed that motive than i think Luke might have back away and not have joined Ben. I think no matter what Luke would have wanted to meet his father. (before Ben told Luke that Vader betrayed and murdered his father luke had no idea how his father 'died.' So he wouldn't of had a personal hate towards Vader for 'killing' his father.)

What are you thoughts on this?

2. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Well, here's exactly what Obi Wan would have to say.

"I met your father Anakin on this planet when he was nine years old. My master, Qui Gon Jinn, freed him after he won a Podrace. Qui Gon also detected your father's midichlorian count, which was off the charts. Oh, did I mention that your father built this protocol droid over here? So after my Master died, your father became my own Padawan learner-that's what we call Jedi apprentices. Anyway, your father fell in love with your mother at age nineteen, who was a Senator from Naboo. Your mother owned this R2 unit back then. During the Clone wars, R2 here used to accompany us on missions. Good times.
    Anyway, after your father killed Count Dooku, a Sith Lord-those are the enemies of the Jedi that use the force for evil-named Darth Sidious seduced your father to the dark side, promising to save your mother from dying. You see, she was pregnant with you and your twin sister, who happens to be the princess in this hologram. After Sidious took over the galaxy, he named your father Darth Vader and sent him to kill the Jedi Knights. Vader slaughtered many innocent children and choked your mother after he found me aboard her ship, on a mission to kill him. I fought your father over a volcano and left him to die. The new emperor rescued his Sith apprentice and put him in a black suit of armor, which he wears to this day. When your mother died, I sent your sister leia to Alderaan to be raised as a princess, while I took you to this desert world to be raised by your father's step brother, who he knew for two days when he briefly returned here, and his wife. One last thing. The stormtroopers, they're all clones of a bounty hunter named Jango Fett. His son is on this planet right now."

If you were Luke, would you believe all that? Obi Wan was right in not telling the full truth at the time. I think Luke would assume he was insane and leave him, returning to the farm. Sounds like too much drama.

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    "Luke, you barely know me, but I have to tell you something important. Your father is Hitler."
    "Uh huh."
    "No, seriously. You are Hitler's son. And your sister is Princess Diana."
    "You've just been sitting out in the desert thinking up weird stuff, haven't you Ben."
    "No, no. I know what I am talking about! Listen to me! I was a major operative in the CIA. I went on secret missions. I was an assassin."
    "okaaaay. I think I'm going home now."

4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Obi Wan did tell the truth. The truth just changed. That's all.

5. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Luke would have fallen apart mentally, run home early, and gotten shot by Stormtroopers.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  6. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    I am thinking the last option, just because connecting with his father was a part of his reasoning for being a Jedi, at first. Plus, even without knowing anything, he just wants to go back home. If the timing had still worked out, he might have gone with Kenobi and joined the Rebellion, but wanted nothing to do with training.
    That is what I think.

7. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    I think this minus getting shot. I wonder how on top of Lars getting killed Vader was. If Luke was there would Vader still allow them all to be killed? (Vader would just think that's Lars child)

If Luke is really upset he could demand to see Vader by telling the troopers he's his son.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  8. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    He wouldn't believe.

9. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    He would have gone into the forest knowing it was his father he was facing and mastered his fear. He would have trained long and hard with Yoda and find Vader and hunt him down and kill him. In the wake of the dead Stormtroopers and Imperials Guards he would use the force to mind choke Vader before dethroning the Emperor. Luke would be the new ruler of the Galaxy end of story. Meanwhile in the Falcon Han & Chewie would still be left smuggling spice for Jabba. No glorious reward for those guys or a Princess to please.

10. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    I think it would be possible for Obi-Wan to tell the truth in a way that didn't either horrify Luke or get him to want to join Vader.

"How did my father die?"

"Your father isn't actually dead. Soon before you were born Palpatine seduced your father to the Dark Side of the Force with false tales of unlimited power, power to protect your mother. He betrayed the Jedi and with his cruelty and arrogance lost your mother. Since then in his anger he has acted as a twisted machine to the Empire. Today many, including your sister, who like you was hidden to protect her, are fighting to restore the freedom and justice Anakin once protected."

Luke would have probably had become scared of the Force and really wanted to stay on Tatooine, avoid getting further involved with the huge conflict and dangerous forces. After he found his aunt and uncle were killed, I don't know if he would have still wanted to fight the Empire as a Rebel, including/going through Vader if necessary, or just still try to go into neutral space travel.

11. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Luke wouldn't believe Ben. He would then run away with the droids, and got killed by stormtroopers. That is, unless, Ben saves him again.

12. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Obi-Wan's lie is actually pretty appalling in light of the Prequels. Imagine if the full truth was revealed to him, about how Obi-Wan mutilated his father and left him to burn. Luke would probably want to kill Obi-Wan after that revelation, not Vader.

Palpatine could have spun that so well if Luke had fallen into his hands.

"Kenobi destroyed your father almost completely. He wears that horrid suit because of the injuries caused by Obi-Wan's hand. Kenobi left your father to die. I saved him."

13. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Luke would've thought all the rumors of Ben being crazy were, in fact, correct and return home.

That said, Vialco raises an interesting point. Imagine how insanely angry Luke would've been had Palpatine and Vader told him what happened to his father from their POV?

jc1138, Darth Caliban and Vialco like this.
  14. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Obi Wan did the right thing. If Obi Wan told Luke that he "killed" his dad then i am not sure how Luke would react . He would probably be a little freaked out.
    After the atrocities that Anakin committed right before Vader suit & the years leading up to ANH, made Obi Wan really think that there is no Anakin left

jc1138 and themoth like this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd start with explaining Luke's mother - then answer the question "How did she die" "Mostly because of Vader- she tried to redeem him, he hurt her but hurt her spirit more - she lost the will to live, died giving birth to you and another" - then cover the actions leading up to Vader's fight (Turning to Evil, Helping The Empire Destroy the Jedi Order) - then describe the fight - ending with "I badly wounded Vader, but couldn't bring myself to kill him" - and finally reveal why Padme tried to redeem Vader in the first place - "because he's her husband - and your father."

That way, with all of Vader's worst ROTS deeds revealed up front, Luke is not going to leap to "he can be redeemed" right away.

If he still wants to redeem Vader - emphasise that this task will be a lot easier without the Emperor around to influence Vader - and that Luke has to be a fully trained Jedi to stand a chance.

If Luke is worried about getting trained - emphasise that he's already an unconscious user of The Force, which accounts for his good piloting, and that he needs the training to avoid Falling like Vader did.

16. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    Obi Wan knew Anakin during the Clone Wars a time of intense conflict that would be like being told i knew your father during the Vietnam War or today the Iraq War or during WW2. Luke knows all about wars so it would not have come as such a surprise. Obi-Wan said he was dead so my reading is that Luke taught he never made it out of the Clone Wars and in fairness to Ben what was left of Anakin did die. Luke also trusted Obi-Wan enough to know that this being that was in the suit of Vader bore no similarities to his father the ace pilot not to mention A O Kay with a Light saber. Obi-Wan was mighty impressed with Anakin unlike Yoda who had serious reservations no doubt as he saw the Darkness in Anakin's soul whereas Obi-Wan saw friendship and gentleness.

17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    In that situation Obi-Wan didn't really have any choice but to hide Anakin's true nature to Luke. He needed Luke disliking Vader and everything he stood for. He needed a warrior. Obi-Wan sacrificing himself during the duel against Vader on the Death Star helped a great deal to achieve this as well.

18. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    Their are implications when Obi-Wan informed Luke his father was a Jedi Knight. He was given the impression by his uncle that his father was a nobody, abandoned his family apparently dirt poor considering his aunt & uncle had low incomes. So when he was told his father was a mysterious soldier of the old Republic he immediately realized that his father had this other life before the war. I don't believe Luke ever hated Vader, it was the Empire he hated and everything it represented. It took the old Republic, it took his family, hist mentor and his fathers body. Vader just got in the way and Luke was going to try and reason with his father instead of murdering him. I don't see how anything Obi-Wan could have said would have made him become hateful of his father. The Empire was the real threat and as we saw even with Jabba the Hutt he chose the best part of valour. By contrast Han Solo's impulsive approach always got him into danger or help save the day but made him far more of an actual killer capable of taking a life if he so wished.

19. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Leave everything. Would want nothing to do with the force​

I believe that would be the most likely. He would have been freaked out to learn what his father had become.
    However, he may have wanted to become a Jedi, anyway. Who knows?
    Was it Yoda's decision or Obi-Wan's to conceal the truth from Luke?

Darth Caliban likes this.
  20. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    My guess would Qui Gon, as he was teaching both Ben and Yoda and was de facto their master.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the old RoTJ novel, Yoda does say "Obi-Wan would have told you long ago, had I let him."

22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Ah, yes. I remember seeing that deleted scene. I just don't recall the book that much.

23. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I remember the scene, but wouldn't the introduction of Qui Gon's force ghost change the dynamics between Kenobi and Yoda? Wouldn't he have more of a say in the matter, as both of them were his students at that time?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G530FZ mit Tapatalk

24. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000

I think these line would of been nice if it was kept in the movie. would make sense why obi wan didn't say anything.

25. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Before he discovered that he was actually his father, all Luke knew about Vader was that he was someone who betrayed and murdered his father along with all the other good guys from the past. He witnesses him killing his mentor. Then later, he terrorises and tortures his new friends because he wants Luke to be like him.

I think it's safe to say that Luke did feel hate for Vader and that he had to struggle to control it. Killing Vader would have definitely been in the plus column though.

Once he discovers that Vader is his father, killing him is the last thing on Luke's mind. His desire to rehabilitate him though is far, far stronger than any residual hate he may have had for what he's done in the past.