main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Best U.S. President?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 13, 2016.

?

Best President(s) of the United States of America?

1. George Washington

18.3%
  2. James Madison

4.2%
  3. John Quincy Adams

4.2%
  4. James Knox Polk

8.5%
  5. Abraham Lincoln

42.3%
  6. Theodore Roosevelt

15.5%
  7. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

25.4%
  8. Barack Hussein Obama

29.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Sadly I don't know much about US history before McKinley, and even after that my knowledge can be hazy.

FDR was always my favorite US President, despite his almost dictatorial stances (court packing, four terms).

Apart from him, I like Teddy, Ike and Reagan (I'm Hungarian and therefore I have my reasons).

I'm no Wilson fan (I'm Hungarian and therefore I have my reasons), but wasn't The Birth of a Nation story discredited?

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm not really a fan of sushi (I'm Hungarian and therefore have my reasons).

MrZAP likes this.
  3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    It's not bad, but I much prefer other seafood delicacies.

Darth Basin likes this.
  4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Alright fine, I guess you pay a whole lot more attention to this guy than I did. Okay so, maybe we could have done better than Wilson. But in the decades since, we have done just that. Wilson might have supported self-determination for only white peoples, but today's Wilsonians support it for all people.

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    1) George Washington
    2) Abraham Lincoln
    3) Franklin Delano Roosevelt
    4) Thomas Jefferson
    5) Franklin Delano Roosevelt

I think the top 3 are indisputable (well, the order is, but who takes those slots is not). I'm a little shaky on my #5, I need to do more research.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How is Thomas Jefferson on your list at all?

yankee8255 likes this.
  7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I would honestly dispute Washington. He is only there as the first independent President; didn't really do much domestically. John Hancock would be a better choice, IMHO, but you tend not to recognise Presidents of the Continental Congress. For some odd reason.

8. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008

Kennedy at least has the Cuban Missile Crisis and pushed for Civil Rights (granted, he came on board late.), Reagan sucks though. Most of the anti-intellectualism you see from the GOP stems from him, he made being stupid a positive attribute.

Seriously, **** him.

appleseed and Alpha-Red like this.
  9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I agree he is quite over-rated. But the US was on highly unstable economic footing in the wake of the Revolutionary War. That it was able to stabilize at all is to the credit of his Treasury Secretary (Hamilton) whom he favored in policy debates over lunatics (like Jefferson). Much as, for instance, a lot of George W Bush's flaws may be described as his choice to favor Dick Cheney's council over more rational actors.

10. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Reminds me of that Hitchen's quote on the Cuban Missile Crisis:

"I don't remember where I was, when Kennedy was assassinated. But I do remember where I was standing exactly...when he nearly killed me"

yankee8255 likes this.
  11. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Hitchens is wrong here.

Kennedy showed a ton of restraint during that crisis, the joint chiefs were all for full-blown invasion.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Eh, the Cuban Missile Crisis was an example of U.S. hypocrisy regarding the placement of "strategic" nuclear weapons. There were U.S. medium-range ballistic missiles in Turkey-- right on the Soviet border-- before there were Soviet nukes in Cuba. It was only by privately acknowledging and promising to partly rectify the hypocrisy that the crisis was de-escalated. Kennedy did the best anyone could have, probably, but it needn't have happened in the first place.

Violent Violet Menace and Ghost like this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Washington did a lot to transition from a Confederation to a Federal Republic, set a lot of precedent, didn't abuse power and let go of it peacefully and willingly, all while able to have almost everyone's support, and taking some risks like the National Bank, as well as how well he handled the Whiskey Rebellion. Look at how John Adams did after him, who was the second choice, by comparison. Or imagine if someone like Trump was the first president. Having a good leader in the beginning is very important in setting a solid foundation.

appleseed and Darth Basin like this.
  14. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Wasn't Washington also the only founding father to free his slaves after his death in his will?

15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I voted for Abraham Lincoln. Were he not on this list, I would have voted for Franklin Delano Roosevelt, despite his approval of the Japanese relocation camps. I can't stay I'm happy about that, but I admire FDR for his administration's work during the Great Depression and his proposal of a Second Bill of Rights.

Why is James Knox Polk on here? The Mexican War was an unjust war, even if it did gain us many states. Well, I do recall that he accomplished all of his goals during his single term, and he was the most successful president between Jackson and Lincoln. Good thing Jackson is not on here! Why is John Quincy Adams on here?

16. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't think Polk is a good president regarding many of his actual policies, but in terms of competence and success I'd say he's top tier.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Read the first post, it's the results of the other polls.

18. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Bush jnr should've been on the list.

19. ppslytherin1994

ppslytherin1994 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2017
    George W. Bush.

20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    For me to poop on.

21. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    How exactly did Obama manage to nab more votes in this poll than Franklin Delano Roosevelt? Is there an inherent bias towards those who squander historical opportunities for change rather than seizing upon them?

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Obama didn't create an internment camp for a specific race.

23. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    True, but he did tear habeas corpus to tatters and expand an already-horrifying drone and surveillance apparatus.

And he wasn't even embroiled in a world war.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Instant nostalgia resulting from the election of Trump.

25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Obama probably felt he had to appeal to conservative voters, what with all his talk of national unity and healing divides. And look at how they repaid him.

appleseed likes this.