main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Jedi Ben

The 2nd phase of Ganon when he's invulnerable - use Urbosa's Fury. Make sure you're close to him so you can get some good hits in with the Master Sword before he goes back to being invulnerable. In the meantime, the best chance at getting a dodge is when he uses his axe hand. Also, I haven't master any of those dodge/defense techniques but if Ganon (and the Guardians) are targeting you with the beam attack, you want to hit parry with the shield when you hear the chirp/beep right before it fires. It feels weird, but once you get the timing, it's pretty rewarding.

Did you recover all your memories before fighting Ganon? If not, go beat him again and enjoy.

As for the Stalnox, you'll only see them at night. If you see a giant pile of bones during the day, build a fire and sit by it until night. You'll then have to get the bones "off screen" by running away from it and then heading back so it can "reload/refresh". One Stalnox you'll definitely want to fight/find is in Hyrule Castle.

Personally, I've beaten all [**] Hinoxes, all [**] Taluses, and all [*] Molduga. Want to know how many you've beaten? See Kilton.
    Urbosa's Fury and a strong weapon like a Claymore is your friend against Molduga. Once knocked out of the sand with a bomb, I've beaten one in one cycle.

I've been playing a lot less as the weeks have progressed. I think I'm on the hunt for Korok seeds and see how close I can get to 100% completion.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, got all the memories - made for a neat end sequence.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  3. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I love PlayStation, but Nintendo are absolutely unmatched when it comes to creativity and game design. I've spent hours upon hours playing Breath of the Wild. It's one of the most immersive games I've played.

4. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    The first batch of DLC came out on Friday. I got all the new equipment yesterday (after playing for an irresponsibly long time), there's a lot of cool stuff and the Korok mask is really useful. Hoping to give the Trial of the Sword a go today!

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Would be interested in knowing how the Sword trial actually works - do you have to do all 45 rooms in one go?

6. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Life likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I saw some of GameXplain's second attempt. It doesn't have to be all in one go, the first 12 levels are the Beginner Trial, which powers up the Master Sword from 30 to 40 and allows you to leave, so it is definitely a challenge but manageable because there are stopping points. It kind of reminds me of a combination of Bloody Palace and the Secret Levels from Devil May Cry.

9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Seriously, no reaction to this?

It's a really nicely written article, and it's so rare to see Zelda discussed on a mainstream non-game or non-tech news medium!

10. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    In a similar vein, read Reynar_Tedros' review of the game as a complete newcomer to the franchise in the What was the last game you beat thread. I have yet to try the game, and even I could not stop reading. It's a well written piece.

Jedi Ben, Rew and Reynar_Tedros like this.
  11. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Thank you! :)

This was a fun read. I've had a similar experience of growing up with Mario games (as I'm sure many others have), but I can appreciate what the author is projecting in regards to The Legend of Zelda. I found Link's relationship with Zelda in Breath of the Wild to be captivating despite only one of them having a voice, and thought they were each compelling individually as well. Most protagonists you control in games are big, bulky space marines (Gears of War, Halo, et al.), old, grizzled veterans (The Witcher, also Gears of War), or near perfect specimens of the human condition (Final Fantasy, Uncharted, Horizon). Link, on the other hand, is a little guy, oversized by most of his opponents, and he's weak at the outset. He gets tired after he runs for too long, sweat pours from his face as he climbs a jagged cliffside, and swinging heavy weapons is a slow, difficult process for him. As a player, I could almost feel the fear he must've experienced when he first dropped into the open plains of Hyrule and saw a menacing moblin patrolling in the distance. Sure, games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne induce a similar nervousness at the sight of imposing enemies, but I never felt like my beefy protagonists shared my qualms. Breath of the Wild establishes a deeper connection between the player and Link without words at all, and I found it to be pretty powerful and a commendable accomplishment on Nintendo's part. Link isn't badass because he's muscular and has a deep voice. He's not respected because he's delivered death to his enemies for decades. He's a hero because he puts his head down, grits his teeth, and handles business despite his shortcomings. At one point in Breath of the Wild, Zelda says "Courage need not be remembered, because it is never forgotten." And that's as poignant a statement on my feelings towards Link and Zelda as any I could make.

Life, Jedi Ben and Rew like this.
  12. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    That feeling you describe of empathising with the player character's fear of the imposing danger ahead is a rare one. The two most memorable examples in my recollection of games that have achieved this are Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. The character animations in both games are key in conveying this feeling, in my opinion. More than I think people realise. The movements of both characters seem at the mercy of the elements - a mix of grace and hapless jerky motions to give their movements a feeling of being improvised. This makes the movements when dragging the girl along with you very well realised in Ico.

Also, the score of Shadow of the Colossus is very strong. Even while conveying awe and wonder, the musical cues always communicate a sense of desperation, which I always value higher in a player protagonist than bravado.

Rew likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I really like this observation you made.

It's interesting to consider that, in some respects, the hardest enemy in the game isn't Ganon but the Lynels and when you take one on, up close, you just have this excellent sense of taking on a massive beast.

Life likes this.
  14. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    In my 95+ hours with BotW, I never once attempted to slay a lynel. They were way too intimidating even after fully upgrading Link's health and stamina, and I was able to successfully avoid them every time I saw one (despite a few skipped heartbeats when a question mark would appear above their heads). While exploring Hyrule Castle during my second run at Ganon (I used the waterfalls to skip right ahead to him my first go-round), I accidentally stumbled into a cage match with one and got a few hits in before I realized that it would require way too much time and resources for me to take him down (there's probably a method to killing them quickly, but I'm not aware of it), so I reloaded a recent save and vowed never to enter that little building again. It was daunting to say the least.

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if Deku Scrubs are descended from Kikwi. Both are fearful creatures that live in the forest.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The trick is to have about 3-4 heavy weapons in reserve, not necessarily heavy as such but high damage - Royal Broadswords are great. The Champion's Tunic is helpful, though seeing the health level does cut both ways - 4000HP? Oh yeah and the Silver one is 6000HP, supposedly more than Ganon. (The DLC content adds in Gold Lynel, who clock in at 7500HP)

Even with good weaponry and a high health level and a good food supply, any Lynel fight will still be a major undertaking - the bastards cheat in just about every way possible, but it is also possible to do a sequence of Flurry Strikes that really does them damage. Fortunately, a Lynel fight is always 1-1, but it's a major punch-up. The idea of taking one on in Master Mode, with it able to regenerate health, isn't one I'd rush to try out, they're hard enough as it is.

You also need Lynel parts to upgrade some armours to the top level - and that is worthwhile.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I feel like ALTTP's backstory = the backstory established in Tales of the Jedi before Veitch left and OOT = Tales of the Jedi: Golden Age of the Sith and Fall of the Sith Empire.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder who Ganondorf's followers described in the ALTTP manual are. Gerudo who went with him into the Sacred Realm? Traitorous Hylians?

19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    darklordoftech likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    He was the king of thieves. So, presumably, thieves. That could be extended to being Gerudo but I always liked the idea of a broader definition and that the den of thieves in the Skull Woods are his former followers- or, at least, the ones he didn't slaughter during the fight for the Triforce.

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    This "King of Thieves" concept is interesting. I wonder what would make thieves follow a "King of Thieves." Maybe he shared his loot with them?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Most likely. The concept isn't something exclusive to Zelda. It's not too dissimilar from "pirate king" and other such titles. Basically just means "The guy in charge of people who steal things".

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And it is, it is, a glorious thing, to be a pirate king!

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    OOT's character designer said that he designed Ganondorf with Christopher Lambert in mind.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That fits Zelda history- after all, while there may be multiple Links and Zeldas, when it comes to Ganondorf- there can be only one.