main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Server Move and Forum Outage

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Jun 5, 2017.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The insights and opinions are so vitally important that you cannot possibly blame them for pushing "Post Reply" as many times as it takes to ensure that their public service gets transmitted to a waiting community.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's been fine for me apart from when you've had to do the backup during the UK morning when I've been on. Has the automation problem been fixed with that?

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    First less-than-near-instant post for me, about ten minutes ago.

Probably about twenty seconds, in a 179 page Fanfic thread. Possibly my connection though..

4. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012

Last night was the first time since the move we got successful automated backups of all 4 jobs (2 on TFN board server, 2 on RS forum server). Hopefully I've got the bugs worked out now, we get emails when the jobs finish so it's easy to see in the morning what failed and take care of it.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Sounds great!

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Whoa, the Search function is back.

7. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Had some minor slowdown and double posting last night. Nothing like before, though.

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I hit my first slowness in awhile - trying to post a single line to the What was the Last Movie You Saw thread in Community - thread has 1180 pages. This was around 3:15 PM UK time.

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I got a "Server Took Too Long To Respond" error at about 0610 GMT.

Hooper McFinney's RPF social thread, 266 pages.

When I retried, 0630, instant.

10. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    At approximately 1:15 AM ET (about five minutes after your error message), I received a near-instantaneous message stating that "An unexpected database error occurred." when opening a link from an email notification. If it matters, it was the Out of Bounds thread in the RPR, 565 pages. It's loading just fine and instantly now.

11. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    1am EST is when the backup runs, nothing I can do about this - you have a 35gb database and it just takes time to get a backup so there will be a small amount of downtime every night.

12. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    The last page of a thread had only two posts, and the second was a duplicate. I deleted the duplicate a minute ago, and it removed both. I only marked the second one for deletion. I can't even find it to undelete it. The page is gone. [face_plain]

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I had that happen when the boards were glitching. You have a link to the thread?

14. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    It was the last page of the US politics thread. Well, the now nonexistent page, to be precise.

15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Grahame LAJ_FETT I am experience some lag time today opening up and posting on threads that are not overly large (>100 pages).

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Only thing I'm seeing in the server error log are the usual Elasticsearch shard errors we've been having. I was on between 8 and 10 AM UK time and things seemed OK then.

17. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    The page returned with the aforementioned posts when someone made another post to the thread. So it's a glitch that can be resolved by making another post to the thread it happens to.

18. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    I believe that's the case,a post that pushes the thread to a new page, deleting that post will still leave the "blank" page behind because the system doesn't update the page stats on delete only on create. I'm sure it's one of those things that's fixed in a newer version - I should just have that as a macro key for replies ;)

Sith-I-5 and Bazinga'd like this.
  19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You could put it in your ID signature - "Whatever it is a newer version will probably fix it..'.

20. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    How come the double posts are making a relapse?

21. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I've tried making precautions. Sometimes making a copy of a post I suspect might be trouble. Waited until I get a timed out message. Reloaded the page several minutest later to make sure the post hasn't already updated. The I copy and paste and try again. Success. Two minutes later, the original post appears.

[​IMG]

22. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    They are back in full force in the Community forum.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I don't see anything amiss in the server error log - just the usual ES errors. Not that busy either - Online now: 488 (members: 133, guests: 355).

24. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Did anyone notice that the "Postings" tab on users profiles isn't working?

25. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, it's due to an issue with elasticsearch that I can't fix until we upgrade.