main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Padema

Padema Jedi Master star 1

Mar 11, 2007
    I'm not sure what is going on. But when I click on MY CONTENT (so I can reference my earlier posts), I'm getting a message like "Search could not be completed" or something like that. Is this a glitch that has been happening to other members or is it just me?

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's a problem with the search and it isn't just you. Searching on member content gives an error. If you right-click on your user name in a post and open in a new tab you can then click on 'Recent Activity' it will give you a list of recent stuff. (The new tab is so you don't lose your place if you're reading a thread as I am doing here).

3. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    On the plus side, I was able to update the header information yesterday using Chrome v. 58 and Win 10 with "More Options" in the edit box and not needing to switch to Edge for that purpose or use the workaround, as had been necessary for quite some time now.:)

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    My phone has been acting strangely, since I put this mophie battery case around it, popping up things that I have not selected.

This last one looked Board / Xenforo related. A popup calling itself a Quick Navigation Link. I closed it, but I cannot see an obvious launch link or button.

Is this something that we have?

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Haven't seen that - if you're on a phone could it have been Tapatalk (or whatever you use?)

6. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    How much hassle is it to change a forum with an x-amount edit time, to a continuous edit time, and back?

As victims of the Photobucket hotlinking issue, recover, there may be a case for allowing a week's amnesty, so we can update older image urls.

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It's not the hassle, it's the potential for abuse (i.e. going back to older posts and adding things against the TOS). I'd say if users want old links (say a week or under old) repaired they could PM a mod with a link to the post and the new information.

8. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    LAJ_FETT Is there a way the Photobucket picture telling people to upgrade their account can be removed and replaced with "broken link" (or equivalent) throughout the boards? I feel that every single one of my posts where I embedded a pic is currently carrying an advertisement for their subscription plan and that doesn't sit very well with me.

Tarsier and pronker like this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That would have to be done at the database level, I have a feeling. Hunting down each one manually would be a pain in the butt. We could address individual ones if you have something like a high-profile thread (popular fan-fic, for example) that gets a lot of traffic. That's probably best addressed with the individual forum mods.

Chyntuck likes this.
  10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks!

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    OK - due to the questions on this I've opened a thread in the mod forum so we can get a policy going. Let's see what the rest of the staff have to say.

jcgoble3, pronker and Chyntuck like this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    For my Photobucket query, I was thinking of a Roleplaying library thread where I had all my character/asset-supporting pics go.

As regards Chyntuck 's query, how did the mods do the Disney Princess replacement exercise for April Fools Day? Can't you do similar?

Chyntuck likes this.
  13. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    If a RP library thread is your issue, those (and the rest of the RPR) already have unlimited edit time, precisely for the purpose of keeping them up to date.

14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I didn't see the 'edit' link when I checked yesterday; but now that you mention it, I see it there now!

Cheers!

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I think we used the language filter for that. However, it's a fixed replacement. For example, if I told it to replace Photobucket with Imageshack, that's what you'd get. However, chance are that those using Photobucket won't all switch to Imageshack. Also, that wouldn't handle the rest of the URL that points to the image in question.

16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    This is not a common problem for me, but it happens sometimes: when I finish reading a thread, normally the thread disappears from my "Unread posts/thread" list. But sometimes, even when I've read the new posts, the thread continues to be seen, even though no new posts have been added to it in the meantime.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've had that happen a few times since the server move. I think it might be connected to the end of page and double post issue we've been having.

18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    It's happened to me a couple of times before the server move. It's not happening too often, thankfully.

19. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Lame question alert: What is the Photobucket issue?

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Up until now Photobucket has allowed users to host pictures for third party sites, such as eBay. Now they are going to charge users a hefty subscription fee to continue doing so. You can see an article here. Note that this article has a comments section so I'm going to toss a language warning in for that since I don't know their Terms of Service. The article itself is fine. A lot of users (myself included) have used it for hosting. We mods are discussing how to handle the issue of broken links in those forums where users don't have an unlimited edit time to fix their own.

pronker likes this.
  21. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Thanks for the swift reply. It was noticeable that at last use one week back, their ads were even more intrusive than before. Best of luck to all the mods.

22. TyrannosaurTJ

TyrannosaurTJ Jedi Padawan star 1

May 7, 2016

Is there any chance for regular members get an unlimited amount of time to edit our past posts? I'd love to be able to edit my old URLs away from the photobucket things back to my private web host. Plus less on anxiety with asking staff and then waiting for the edits to be done.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    As I said above, allowing unlimited edit time in those forums where it isn't already allowed (mainly fanfic and RP) opens us up to users abusing the privilege. That's why we don't allow it.

24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    If you hotlink to any pictures that you have stored on there, from anywhere on the internet, Twitterverse, etc., posts going back years, you may find that your image has been replaced by a Photobucket clock advising you to upgrade your payment plan, if you want your picture to reappear.

pronker likes this.
  25. pronker

Jan 28, 2007

Pretty sure I didn't ever hotlink, but uploaded to Pbucket and then used their link. I just now checked my LJ from 2011 and the pic remains. I'll check again in a few days to see if anything changed.

EAD: Well, that was a depressing fizzle from the past upon reviewing 2011. I used to get 12-18 comments on my LJ posts and now the friends' profiles have lines through them by their comments and ever since the LJ Meltdown of February 2017, even more friends flew the coop.=((

Vialco likes this.