main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    "Hotlink" seems to be the term bandied about on this situation, but like you, I used Photobucket's provided link url. My pics got hit three days after most of the world's.

pronker likes this.
  2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007

Ah, me. Thanks for the info. One good thing is that I went back to 2007 on Pbucket and saved uploaded photos there to current H/D that had died when previous H/D went kaput. *watery smile*

3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Cant tell how [face_sick] I feel about Photobucket pulling the plug.

Would be great to hear from the admins whether there might be a once-in-a-lifetime time window to replace the photobucket links with others (i.e. the sooner the better - I nevertheless think it would be somewhat awkward to update all my threads with a single post, inserting all the html-codes for the images missing, so at least people get a chance to see what I was writing about).

Should the answer be "no", can the administrators at least provide the thread starters with the tool to edit the very first post of a thread to list the image links which are missing in subsequent posts?

As an alternative Imageshack has been mentioned. At this point I'm not picky, all I'd want is an image host that provides me with some feeling of security that my uploaded images could be featured here at theForce.net without links being removed within the next 12 months.

I'd appreciate any constructive recommendations or hints. Thanx! [face_dunno]

4. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    This is what the Imageshack terms say:

Changing hotlinking/embed codes is strictly prohibited. Free ImageShack accounts are not allowed to link to direct links. Circumventing ImageShacks ability to enforces it's policies on free accounts and changing linking codes may result in deletion of your content and/or account.

Do I understand correctly that they won't accept hotlinking images by posting these in a forum / message board? [face_dunno]

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    When I type a search into the search engine it skips a total of two years of posts. For instance when I type in clones it goes from last Tuesday to September of 2015. I know the word clones has been written in the last 2 years

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There are some issues with the search function at the moment - for example, viewing posts for a members gives an error. If you wanted to get all posts for clones, try using Google and limit the search to this site: clones site:boards.theforce.net (note - the site part has to be specified as is - it won't work if there's a space between site: and the site name).

Lt. Hija - there's no easy way to give thread starters unlimited edit time - it's specified per board in the security settings for each user group. Currently we're discussing the edits in our mod forum. Our thinking is that users can PM forum mods with replacement links for recent image posts (like a week or so). All others would be on a case by case basis. Your thread starter case would fall under this. There isn't any way to do a global edit unless it's at the database level. Some boards, mostly fan fic and RP, have unlimited edit time so users can edit their own posts there.

7. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I hope it's okay to share this here for anyone affected by the Photobucket-kicked-our-buckets issue: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/02/photobucket-alternatives-for-third-party/ :)

There is also a discussion about what and where you can hotlink and not. Hope this may help Forum members looking for alternatives like myself. Given all the MB limitations on the files you can store (and hotlink), I'm starting to consider to use a different provider each time I start a new image heavy thread. :D

LAJ edit - just a pre-emptive language warning as the article contains a comments section and I don't know their Terms of Service. The article itself is fine.

pronker likes this.
  8. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Lt. Hija I've moved my stuff to Google Photos. As the article says, it's not super-intuitive but it works. I was already paying for extra storage space on Google anyway but there's also a setting for the photo size that you can activate so as not to take up all your storage space if you're using a free account.

pronker likes this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Triple post. Still having an issue with occasional delays.

10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The trick is knowing which users you want to ignore so you don't accidentally open their tagged posts thinking they're spoilers.

11. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There isn't enough information there, unfortunately. Have you tried asking one of the forum mods? I don't go into fan fic much so I wouldn't even know where to start looking. If I knew the thread title (or at least part of it) I could give it a shot. I did try the wayback machine but came up empty.

13. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
  14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've found the thread the old URL is in. Give me a bit..

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
  16. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Thanks LAJ!

LAJ_FETT likes this.
  17. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Waaaaaaayyyyyyy back in the day when The Move™ had just finished, a user who is no longer active posted this explanation showing how to convert an IGN URL to a XenForo URL. The link to the "simpler way" at the top now leads to a dead link, but there is also a Firefox add-on that can autoconvert the IGN URLs for you. Details and instructions on that are in this thread, but being over four years old, I can't vouch for whether it still works (though the add-on is still available and appears to still be maintained)

LAJ_FETT and pronker like this.
  18. pronker

Jan 28, 2007

Lame question alert: How did you get the superscript re "The Move™"?

19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I have a custom keyboard layout that offers symbols like that through the AltGr modifier key. You can also get it through the Character Map in Windows and Ubuntu (not sure about macOS).

pronker likes this.
  20. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Thanks!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    About 15 to 30 minutes ago or so (I don't know exactly since I didn't look at a clock), I kept getting an "unexpected error" message when trying to access the boards. This is the same error that I associate with the various cron jobs that run in the overnight (EDT) hours, which is when I expect to see this error. The 9 PM EDT hour is not when I expect to see it. Did the boards crash, and if so, why?

22. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    It happened to me as well.

The board came back after maybe 15 minutes.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  23. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I just had a timeout for 7-8 minutes as well.

24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    At that time of night (shortly after 1 AM EDT), errors are to be expected as the server is tied up with nightly backups and other cron jobs. The starts of each of the next two to three hours can sometimes be similar for the same reasons. However, the time I got the errors yesterday evening is not a normal time for such errors, which is the only reason I reported it.

25. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Oh, I thought that took place at 1 am Pacific Time (11 am for me). My bad.

26. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Only thing I see in the server log is a 'too many connections' message. I don't have any emails indicating that someone was doing something. I believe the backup job currently runs around 1AM EDT (6AM UK). It's possible there was a problem with the backup yesterday and Grahame was running it manually but I can't tell that from the server log.

jcgoble3 likes this.