main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Forces of Destiny - Episode 7: The Stranger Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jul 8, 2017.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Diego Lucas picked up the slack for the episode 6 thread, however,
    [​IMG]

Diego Lucas and SilentGuy66 like this.
  2. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Well, no

:D

SilentGuy66 and TCF-1138 like this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I liked this one a lot! I hope we get more Jyn in future episodes.
    Was the planet Lothal?

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    How many episodes are there going to be in total?

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    16 I believe. Eight now, and eight more in the fall.

And hopefully we'll get a season 2.

6. Jamie1001

Jamie1001 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 16, 2014

That was very cute! I think the planet was Garel?

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I'd be fine with that as long as they make it have an actual story.

8. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    That was definitely Garel. And this was amazing! Jyn is one of my favorite SW characters, so I've been anticipating her short, and having Felicity Jones back is fantastic. Although I can see some getting nitpicky when she tells the girl her name is Jyn Erso, even though she hasn't gone by it in years. But since it was a little girl who had no love for the Empire and probably wouldn't see again, giving her real name isn't that big of a deal.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  9. cookeycat

cookeycat Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2016
    ミฅ(●ↀωↀ●)ノ彡Loth-cat was cute.

JawaDog likes this.
  10. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    This has been the worst short so far. Jyn is extremely out of character. I just finished Rebel Rising, which I think detailed Jyn's character nicely, and there is no way Jyn would help a little girl just because her pet got taken away. Jyn seems much more likely to just walk away and do her best to avoid trouble. Also, there is no way that she would ever reveal her true name to some random girl. She should have stated her name as Liana Hallik or some other alias. Also, why would the Empire care about people owning pets?

11. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Pain and Suffering
    The next episode is the following:
    - stormtroopers getting out
    - stormtroopers interrogating little girl
    - little girl giving up Jyn's real name and whereabouts
    - Jyn going to prison

Jyn should not have looked up

12. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Rogue One Jyn: "I think my father abandoned me for the Empire. Saw abandoned me. I don't want to help the rebellion. Whats the point?" She's a complex, cynical character (until she finds hope and learns to trust others in RO).

Forces of Destiny Jyn: (With a glimmer in her eye and a chipper attitude) "Save the kitties!"

What was the point here? Depriving people of cats is bad?

13. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Eh, not really out of character. The Visual Guide says Jyn liked to stick it to the Empire when she could, as most of her offenses are related to messing with Imperials. She outsmarted some stormtroopers to help a little girl and her pet. Remember, Jyn did run out into the middle of a fight to rescue a little girl on Jedha. She's not exactly the cold person you seem to think she is. I haven't read Rebel Rising yet, but plan to after finishing some other Star Wars books, but this shouldn't really contradict that in any way. And as I said above, it's a little girl she told her name to. The little girl will most likely keep out of the streets with her pet now to avoid any imperial entanglements.

14. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I'm glad Jyn saving cats is now canon. LUL

15. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Problem for me was that the bulk of her characterization in RO was completely ignored. Now, could the story of Jyn helping a little girl be interesting? Yeah. But give it some narrative heft. Begin the episode with Jyn hiding behind cover from the Storm Troopers. Show the troopers giving up on searching for Jyn and then bothering the little girl about the cat. Show Jyn having an internal debate (Its just a cat, if I reveal myself surely they'll find me). Then give a five second flashback of Jyn making a Tooka doll with her mother back on the homestead. Jyn shuts her eyes and sighs, moving out of cover to help the girl. Everything else is the same. Now, isn't that more interesting? Shows you something about the character. Wouldn't take much more time either.

La Calavera and Darth Kickass like this.
  16. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    hmm. so who is the stranger?

relevant:

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

Long Island's own Billy Joel!!!!

I liked the short. Nice and sweet; especially getting to hear Felicity Jones once again.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I loved the episode. Jyn understanding about a girl and her cat made me love her even more than I already did.

And yeah, I think she would do it, she understood about people and their bonds regardless of how cynical she got, and pets are family.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Jyn is my favourite Star Wars character. Plus, I have an obsession with cats; greatest Star Wars animated episode ever.

20. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I thin the empire has approached the point of being evil for the sake of being evil when they're confiscating cats

Other than that I liked this episode because I like Jyn. Obviously she had to say her real name at the end because the younger viewers would think her name WAS Lianna Halik

21. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Ah, of course it was!

22. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    The tooka was the best part of it.

23. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    You'd think with this show's cheap animation budget they could at least give us a new planet?

24. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Part of why I find these episodes really meh (and cheap in both writing and animation) is because there is no individuality to it. The stories are repetitive and all these heroines have the same generic hero personality, with little to no added flavor.

I love the cynical Jyn, it’s an important aspect of her character development. This Jyn, in this time period, is barely recognizable. It would be like making pre-ROTJ Han Solo risk his life to save a stranger’s cat because he is so compassionate/caring/perfect role model.

I mean, it’s not like I have a problem with Jyn saving something-cute in distress and have the same recycled story as the others, but it would’ve made more sense (and be more interesting to me) if they had a bit more of a narrative setup. Like having Jyn hesitate and be seemingly uncaring at first, only to change her mind at the end. It would still be inspiring and kids would get something different to relate to. There is no reason why all these characters have to be written like they are all goody two-shoes from the get-go as if they are the same action figure with swappable heads and skins.

Also - a bit of a side note - I’m still waiting for a heroine pair-up that is as fun and full of personality as these two:

Meeko Ghintee and fett 4 like this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Saving a helpless animal, someone's pet, someone who was pleading that the pet was "all she had," from confiscation by the Empire doesn't make a person a goody-two-shoes, it makes the person a human being. I could see pre-ROTJ Han doing that as well, making a snarky comment along the way.