main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The Nilfgaardians consider themselves the pinnacle of culture and civilization, and consider the main character's homelands as rude and uncouth. There's an extended sequence early in the game where the hero, Geralt, has to be made presentable to the Emperor, and is given lessons on how to bow and the right clothes while snide remarks are made. So, your take on Geralt is pretty much the same take as the Nilfgaardians.

Vthuil, Kylun, Jedi Ben and 1 other person like this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This is good. Perhaps I can give Gerald some modicum of presentability, if not dignity, were I able to stomach the rest of it.

I hope we have the ability to be good friends to our gracious rulers.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Typical Jello.

On your second line, without giving the game away, that depends on you as Geralt.

For the first point, there is a simple and effective solution - regular trips to the barber. (+ Formal clothing when in town, don't try fighting anything in it.)

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    OH! There are barbers? I had no idea. I just saw that we were playing this hirsute Targaryen-wannabe and I was awfully dissuaded.

Can we also keep our fine court clothes?

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You can, but as in the edited version of my above post, don't fight in them!

EDIT: In other news, my copy of Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age is on its way!

6. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Hm, there better be some sort of formal dress armor I can use instead, then.

Also, that's out now? Hm, I hope they announce the FFXII PC version as well, like they did for the FFX remake. XII was always my favorite.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm extremely unsurprised.

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    We have this discussion before Jello, including your question about keeping the new outfit.

Plus:
    1) The main character is the son of a knight and a sorceress, so I think that puts him in the nobility.

2)The main character is in many ways the Obi-wan mentor type for another character you play as, who is the true heir to at least two kingdoms. Possibly three.

Final Fantasy 12 - I missed that when it was out, but it does have a good story. Though I get the impression that I probably enjoy it for the opposite reasons that Jello does.

I am also rather enjoying the plot of FF14 as well, particularly how it blends the magical and political sides of the plot.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Sad story the Witcher books.

10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Fire walk with me.

I have to say I'm excited about the return of Twin Peaks to the air. While I completely missed out on the show and the fandom when it first came out (when I was twelve years old and not particularly interested in oddball mystery programs), I've since become a fanatic of the program and it's oddball characters. I'm re-watching the series from episode one on Netflix so I can be perfectly tapped to see the third season, 25 years later.

Here's my review of the original if anyone is interested.

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2017/07/twin-peaks-definitive-gold-box-edition.html

cthugha likes this.
  11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The Nilfgaardians get a real white-washing in the third game and I have the Phillip Fry eye at the fact they attempt to present them conquering Temeria as the "happy" ending. While their handling of Touissant and nonhumans is well done, the fact is they are a slaving society of militant conquerors who have a pressing desire to avenge their previous military defeats means I'm on the side of the North. Bigoted nonhuman hating ignorant racists they are.

Wait....

Jello acts like and loves the Nilfgaardians.

I, by contrast, am a huge fan of the rustic ignorant barbarian peasantry.

Why did I not see this coming?

12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Ignorant rustic peasantry? The north are just as much monarchists as the Nifs, particularly since by this point one of the northern realms has pretty much conquered the others, and the peasants get crushed in between both of them, by both of them. Even beyond political structures both sides share many of the same prejudices, practices, institutions, beliefs etc - even their armor and clothes are pretty much the same late medieval/early renaissance stuff except that the Nifs seem to be allergic to colors other than black and gold.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I like that I don't even need to review things anymore. People already know.

1. Whether a knight is a noble or not is very situational, and not all knighthoods are hereditary, so that remains to be seen. Sorceresses sound sinister, unless they are not in this setting.

2. True heir? That's more my speed.

14. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014

Yeah, if anything you'll love Ciri, who takes increasing prominence in the plot as the game moves on. She's like Leia if she was heir to the Empire.

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you, the happy ending is where she rejects her role as heiress and leaves her father to finally pay for his sins.

This is incorrect, especially if you've read the books. Nilfgaard is far more technologically and socially advanced with a cosmopolitan culture that doesn't discriminate against nonhumans. It is also possessed of a modern banking system and military that answers directly to the Emperor instead of the nobility being allowed to draw their own military forces. The Nilfgaard are this way due to the fact their culture is influenced by elvish culture and its central country, Nilfgaard is a mix of human/elvish blood (so is the North but they're disgusted by the accusation).

It's very much a High Middle Ages/Renaissance culture versus a Medieval/Dark Ages one.

It's just Nilfgaard also incorporates slavery, total war, and Roman-era atrocities with an enslavement of all mages into their society. Only in the North are mages, for xample, allowed to be free and powerful.

Which, notably, the games totally wrecked.

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    How so? The witch hunts were established as being in the North's immediate future by Lady of the Lake. The games followed the future mapped out by Sapkowski very accurately, in that regard.

Wait, unless you're just talking about the Nilfgaard thing. Oops. (It's early)

In which case, yeah, TW3 makes Nilfgaard a fair bit lighter-and-softer. I think "wrecked" is taking it a bit too far, but... yeah.

The only thing I'm really miffed about is the
    total omission of Emhyr's wife. Faux!Ciri, the Empress Consort. Especially since Emhyr only holds Cintra jure uxoris.

(And we know she's not just been adapted out because she was briefly referenced in TW2.)

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, both are accurate.

The Mage Civil War ruined mage culture in the North.

And Faux Ciri's absence is a HUGE deal as it's the entire justification for their control over Cintra.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe of interest for some:

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I finally got The Elder Scrolls: Legends working yesterday, and ended up playing through the first two acts of The Forgotten Hero. I would have done more if it wasn't ridiculously early in the morning.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ciri's brilliant in Witcher.

Kylun and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  21. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Anyone watched the Polish TV series?

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I just accidentally got a PS4 during the Prime sale. Oops. What's good?

On my list:
    Uncharted series
    God of War 3 and 4
    Last of Us
    Horizon Zero Dawn

I'd be looking for PS exclusives, as I have a PC for most everything else.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Edit:

Ok. Maybe I'll give it another shot. Everyone seems to agree....

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, it was terribad.

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I actually used her as the inspiration for a character in one my novels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Albeit, Regina is as much Aragon-Eowyn as Ciri.

MercenaryAce, Jedi Ben and DARTH_MU like this.
  25. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Favourite Quote from it:

Geralt z Riv Honorble Chapelle. You will try to kill us, you will succeed and we will kill you, and then there will be another honorable Chapelle, what then?

MercenaryAce likes this.