main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There is an optimal end to the war in Witcher 3, though (for those who aren't pro-Nilfgaard)

Join the conspiracy against King Radovid, but let the Temerians be betrayed so they don't cut their deal with Emhyr. Redania beomes pro-magic and pro-industry and Nilfgaard is defeated.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It's my ending as my Geralt may not give a flying fig about the North but he's not going to put Ciri's life in danger by letting Emhyrs get any closer to her.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That quest ended up being abruptly curtailed for me due to Djikstra being a sulky git.

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh, and Jello would definitely love the Blood and Wine expansion:

It is a land where knights are chivalrous, peasants are merry, lords and ladies are just, and people actually respect Geralt for killing monsters. You even get a vineyard for completing the main quest.

1. They do tend to be high ranked advisers to kings.

2. Indeed. Specifically she is the heir to a small kingdom and a big empire (long story - but basically before Emperor Charles Dance became emperor, he was banished from the kingdom by a usurping uncle and was a friend to the main character, and he met the princess of another land and Ciri is the result) as for the third...well, that is too spoilery to reveal.

Well, all of the endings have their ups and downs (well, except the really bad one) and that is more for the player to decide.

I mean, if the Empire wins and Ciri agrees to become empress, then at least there isn't much chance of another war and the entire continent is ruled by someone with both intelligence and kindness - something that isn't happening any other way.

Though Ciri and Geralt are certainly happier if she continues as a Witcher, true.

[quote="Charlemagne19, post: 54425841, member: 251830]
    This is incorrect, especially if you've read the books. Nilfgaard is far more technologically and socially advanced with a cosmopolitan culture that doesn't discriminate against nonhumans. It is also possessed of a modern banking system and military that answers directly to the Emperor instead of the nobility being allowed to draw their own military forces. The Nilfgaard are this way due to the fact their culture is influenced by elvish culture and its central country, Nilfgaard is a mix of human/elvish blood (so is the North but they're disgusted by the accusation).

It's very much a High Middle Ages/Renaissance culture versus a Medieval/Dark Ages one.

It's just Nilfgaard also incorporates slavery, total war, and Roman-era atrocities with an enslavement of all mages into their society. Only in the North are mages, for xample, allowed to be free and powerful.

Which, notably, the games totally wrecked.[/quote]
    Well, I am not familiar with the books in great detail, so I did not know that. Thanks for that.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you, Geralt is MEANT to be a working class peasant hero who doesn't think much of the nobility. It's very much a Western in Fantasy Poland.

Geralt is even meant to look a bit like Clint Eastwood.

Karl0413, DARTH_MU and MercenaryAce like this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

Another reason I never got itno it.

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I just finished Act 3 of The Forgotten Hero story for The Elder Scrolls: Legends and I love it. The choices were interesting and it was definitely a story worthy of the Elder Scrolls. I pretty much just stuck with the Band of Survivors deck, mildly tweaking it along the way as things were unlocked and upgraded. Solo Arena is the next objective, which should be interesting considering Arena in Hearthstone was pretty fun.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    At least she gets a Gwent Card, now!

[​IMG]
    Given CDPR's general adherence to the future mapped out by the books, I'll be really surprised if this sticks, should they make sequels.

We're told who succeeds Emhyr (at least according to recorded history, IU) and who succeeds him, in turn* . . . and neither are Ciri. I think it's pretty telling that CDPR made sure that the game only ends with Ciri being groomed for leadership. And then they even allude to the possibility of her "giving it all up" and/or Emhyr changing his mind when that version of Ciri shows up in Blood and Wine.

* This isn't at all important to the story of the novels, to be clear, which happen long before any of this takes place. It's just information that we're given in them.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you, the games aren't canonical.

Geralt and Yennefer both being dead in the end of the book series.

They're an alternate universe/homage.

10. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
  11. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Me, I recently got into the Powder Mage trilogy of books:

[​IMG]

French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars in a High Fantasy setting. GrandAdmiralJello ought to love that caption. :p

MercenaryAce likes this.
  12. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    OMG One of the protagonists of the second book's fiancee was seduced by a villain and the marriage was called off. And then a coup happened with the populace saying meh... why why remind me?

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    To be honest, I think the White Lodge and Black Lodge are both beyond good and evil.

Bob is evil but that's because he's greedy and stupid compared to his fellows. All of the others are alien emotional parasites with a passing fascination with humans.

I've started the new series and it's a lot darker than the original.

But it has Naomi Watts who is on my top five most beautiful women in the world AND favorite actresses lists so that makes up for a lot.

DARTH_MU likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    "Heir to the Empire is a sequel to the OT and references events from the OT. We can be reasonably confident that the OT happened in its universe."

"Heir to the Empire isn't canon, though."

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Oh, I loved that comic! I had completely forgotten its name though.

Good and Evil clearly exist in the Twin Peaks universe. I'm just not sure the Alien-Fairies are where they live versus Cooper and Truman.

:)

As for saying they're above good and evil, well, they don't really seem to THINK like humans given they live in a universe where everything is created by thought.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    "Last year I spotted Peter Stormare in Until Dawn and got very excited. However, it turns out he is in fact in everything. On the other hand, he's great. Keep putting him in everything. At least then the Swedish will be correct.

And honestly, Bioware, the pronounciation of Sigrun is messed up too and it hurts me. A lot. Stahp. You can't spell it all Swedish and then pronounce it... like that.
    Champions and Heroes can also be found here championsandheroes.smackjeeves… as well as on tumblr championsandheroes.tumblr.com/"

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    So now Stellaris is going to get custom voice work in the game depending on your ethics.

Gorefiend, Gamiel and Vthuil like this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Wait until Episode Eight. "This is the water..."

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Star Citizen is definitely happening, between last week's ATV on procedural planets and today's ATV on derelict ships, especially the little trailer called Lost and Found from the ATV. They reason why it has taken so long is they have taken the time to do it right with procedural planets from the beginning. They are being transparent, to the point we wouldn't have heard about the project for at least a few more years if a AAA publisher was involved, assuming it was actually approved by a publisher, which isn't likely. All while building the company from the ground up at the same time.

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Star Citizen will hopefully satisfy my desire for a Wing Commander sequel.

22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    and this is the well

blackmyron and Charlemagne19 like this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  24. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    So I recently commissioned some art I thought I'd share with y'all: Jaina in the red dress she wore on Hapes in Dark Journey.

[​IMG]

25. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Nice art! Wait, you're not Gamiel :p