main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great suggestions divaplilot and Briannakin I wish there was a chocolate emoji [face_laugh] as a thank-you. [:D] Also took note of the calendar names :)

2. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005

CALLISTA!

:_|

I'll save you. No one better stand in my way.

------------------------

I'm pretty mad about how amazon's summary for the book planet of twilight. It says "but Luke gets in some good scenes on the trail of Force-sensitive babe Callista,,,,," mean, how can anyone reading the blurb of that book respect a character called a force sensitive Babe? Callista is worth much more than a symbol of lust.....

-------------------------------------

Characters Darth Mu will attempt to save

Bria Tharen

Gariel Captisan

Siri Tachi

Serra Keto

Callista

Clarice Starling

Tarsier likes this.
  3. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I agree with DARTH_MU. It makes me sad when even mods feel free to go out of their way to casually degrade a character. :( (She has a name you know...)

DARTH_MU likes this.
  4. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    So, is degrading canon characters not allowed on these forums? Can I at least degrade my least favourite character by calling him a weak emo poser fanboy ugly wussbag? He deserves it, you know... XD

Also, what word count do you people prefer for one-post story. I am writing a short story about the reunion of Luke and my OC, but I hardly got it past 158 words so far. I don't know how much should I squeeze the words out of myself. The fact that I can't find any songs about the reunion of friends doesn't help...

5. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    It probably is allowed. However, I think what Tarsier may have meant was that Mods should have some kind of higher standards.

We are actually in dangerous 'shipping war area. There are many people who holds Luke/Mara sacred. So, any other character that may comes in and disrupt the L/M OTP.... Things will get ugly.

For anyone that wants to know I am a Luke/Callista shipper. Probably because the first book I read of the SW EU was Children of the Jedi.

I have nothing against the L/M shippers, but I would love it if Callista didn't get attacked all the time.

Ewok Poet and Tarsier like this.
  6. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017

Also, anyone knows what was Luke's relationship status by the time Kylo killed his order? What was this Callista's fate and is it possible that she is alive by the time I finish my story. I am thinking of having Luke reunite with an "old flame" in the ending, with Nyros seeing them together, if that is possible. I am not sertain, however, how possible it is to integrate Mara into the continuity I am writing. So what about this Callista? Who is she? And what is the possibility of her surviving?

7. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I just said I found it sad. I thought hating in general was discouraged around here, but I'll leave it to others to confirm the actual rules.

Callista is an EU Legends character. If you follow Legends canon, I believe she survived to nearly the end of Fate of the Jedi, so there's no reason why she couldn't survive the NU canon if you wanted her to. Just know if you use her, people will hate on her in the comments to your story, regardless of what role she plays or how you write her.

8. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I will give you the simple summary

Callista is from a ocean planet called Chad. Palpatine had this other super weapon a cylinder thing called the Eye of Palpatine. Callita and her boyfriend boarded it, disabled it, but can't leave because their y wing was destroyed. Luke found the Eye maybe 60 years later (cause the EU Empire was that long) with his new apprentice. Luke's apprentice died during the mission, and Callista who was trapped in the Eye computer took the apprentice's body with the apprentice's permission. (the apprentice was depressed and wanted to die). So it was a win win situation for everyone.

However, Callista found out she can't access the Force unless she was angry or afraid, or hated someone. So she left Luke. She went away, promising Luke she would return as soon as she found away to access the Force via the Light Side. Callista never did because of the Fate of the Jedi villain Abeloth (some Force Monster) defeated/cheated her and killed her and took over her body to make Callista's body as Abeloth's avatar. Luke destroyed that body. There is a theory that Callitsa's spirit still out there and lit a Force candle.

9. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017

Ah. Sorry, thought she was a NU character of sorts due to seeing a misleading Tumblr post about her once. Guess Luke is still single in the NU, so if I am to write him a love interest, I am going to resort to either adapting a Legends character into the Disney canon, or making yet another OC. Gonna think on this idea, how should I implement it, if at all. Because from what it seems, importing both Mara and Callista would require for me to study their biographies, adapt out what doesn't coincide with he D-canon, and come up with an answer of what the hell either of them were doing while Luke was chasing Snoke with Ari and Rey. And the latter I see as the biggest problem. Gotta think whether I really want thisscene that much or not...

10. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    In TFA, Luke is standing near a bent piece of rock (almost 40 degrees bent), and people are obsessed that's the tombstone of his wife.

Eligible candidate for Luke in the Disney canon. (non Mara edition)

Alexandra Winger (comics)

Gariel Captisan (Truth at Bakura)

Callista (Children of the Jedi)

Shira Brie (comics)

Doctor Aphra (comics)

Deena Shan (comics)

11. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    Thing is, in my fic Ahch-To is where he actually went on a mission, not went to live as an exile. Would be strange for him to bury his wife near the site he studies, rather than a less out of the way place. Besides, the very premise of her being dead makes that scene I made up impossible( it happens in the end of my stories, not before them).

12. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    see my edit for eligible EU candidates.

The way I see it

Alexandra Winger (Who is she? Potential reader will ask)

Gariel Captisan (No way would Luke be with an Imperial!!!!)

Callista (BODY snatcher! BOOO!)

Shira Brie (Not Mara, besides, we all know she's evil)

Doctor Aphra (She's Asian, so Rey isn't her daughter)

Deena Shan (Um, she has her imperial boyfriend... and who's she?)

OC (Mary Sue!!!! Author insertion!!!! MARY SUE!)

Mara ......... Yeah, you are safe with Mara. Wait. Your Mara is OOC. Mara would never.......

Your other question though, just say she was on another mission or something, and she was late in coming back to Luke. Maybe Ari and Rey can rescue her or something. Maybe Luke needs to be on Achto and can't leave yet. But now that Ari and Rey shows up they can either help Luke do what he was doing on Achto and he can search for his wife, or they can search for the wife for Luke.

13. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    Yeah... I see the shipping wars are strong with Luke... And I'm not even going to mention all the crazies on Tumblr attacking each other over headcanons on Luke's sexuality and gender identity in the new canon( LUKE IS TRANS AND GAY AND UR A HOMOPHOBE IF YOU THINK ODAWAISE!!!!11111 ... Just ugh. ). I guess I'd rather try to leave her identity ambigous, although I am not sure if that can be done.

Also, in my fanfics Rey isn't Luke's daughter( never was a fan of the Rey Skywalker theory), so Aphra might still work.

DARTH_MU likes this.
  14. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    So, I'm not allowed to have an opinion on a fictional character? Thanks guys. I love it when I'm assumed to be an opinionless droid.

It's not like I attack you guys for liking her (like you guys are attacking me for not liking her). I didn't like the character: I personally thought the books she was in were poorly written and the whole repossession of a sucididal woman's body sent the wrong messages for me. But if you liked Callista and want to use her in a Fic, go for it. I was making a joke, I wasn't promoting hate.

People hate one of my favourite characters in the West Wing fandom. I never cared. I actually see their criticisms as valid, but I'm trying to change perceptions of her though Fic.

15. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Bri

I'm sorry you felt attacked. It wasn't my intent.

FireKeeper

I'm sorry I didn't see your other question earlier.
    Many many years ago I write ten pages of times new roman 12 size fonts (or maybe even 20 pages), and no one reviewed.
    Then I wrote about 1600 words per update. And people do.
    FYI the short story per Nebula and Hugo awards is 7500 words.
    I recommend 2000 word per update. If your short story is longer, then split them up. (Parts 1, 2, 3, 4). Updated maybe once 3 days or even a week.

16. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Thank you. If you can change my opinion on Callista and defend her, please do. It simply annoys me when people think I'm not allowed to post my feelings of displeasure towards anything (heck, some people don't like the entire new-canon, that's fine). I'm still an user entitled to my opinions. If I said "I hate anyone who likes Callista or who writes L/C", that would be a problem. But I just didn't like Callista. Yes, perhaps I should have used her name and I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I've also called Jacen/Darth Caedus "Darth Poo" to voice my displeasure with that character too, but I've never been hostile towards people who like him. Heck, I've even called Luke (who I love) "Emo Jedi." Bottom line, hating characters is allowed and it is allowed for mods as well.

Like DARTH_MU said, 2000 words tends to be a sweet-spot for any story post. But, at the same time, we mods don't really like telling people what constitutes a story. If your story can fit in a twitter post, we may tell you to make some sort of thread to collect such short stories, but if it is over 100 words, it's fine. I recently posted a "story" (it wasn't so much a story as more a writing experiment) that was only 400 words.

17. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Being a mod doesn't mean giving up opinions about characters. It's not like being a Supreme Court judge. If she was banning every story portraying Callista in a positive light, yeah, then there would be grounds for complaint.

18. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    On the general topic of hating characters: I have observed that there are basically two kinds of "hate". There is "actual hate", where you truly dislike a character and therefore insult them, and there is "fake hate", where you like a character (who may or may not be unpopular), but they are so easy to make fun of that you just can't not.

Either way, though, haters gonna hate.

19. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
  20. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I would have to beat the EU bushes to find characters I truly disliked. I don't see the use in it. Is C-3PO my favorite character? No, but I don't seriously want him blasted into so many tiny bits that it's raining gold dust. As for the movies, Jar Jar is annoying yes, but do I really want him placed and the rack for the final stretch? No. For me, Callista was good for that time in Luke's life, but Mara was the one.

21. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Very true

I'm very grateful for Callista having brought happiness to Luke, however brief that happiness was.

Mara was the one. I was sad when she had to go away.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  22. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017

I have actually found myself doing the second to the characters I liked a few times. I may like them, but thatdoesn't stop me from browsing and posting silly memes about them and make snarky remarks about them.

However, if I truly hate a character, beware my crazy side. Be they popular or not, I will publically insult them as long as I feel I won't suffer major reprecussions for it( and no, I don't consider offending some special snowflake on Tumblr a major reprecussion). I will also sometimes rewrite the text in the songs I know, and post the rewritten text specifically to mock that character or express my hatred for them. Someone saying they have a crush on this character will prompt me to wonder what do they see in that character, sometimes out loud or via a message( if I am feeling like doing something particularly jerkass).

Yeah, haters gonna hate, I know, I know, but there are characters I just can't bring myself to feel anything for but hatred. Some of such characters are Joffrey Baratheon, Ramsay Bolton, Dolores Umbridge, and, first of all and most importantly, Kylo Ren. Yes, I put Kylo on the same level of despecable douchebaggery as Joffrey. Kylo is the Joffrey of Star Wars to me, and no one can convince me otherwise, to the point that when I wrote Nyros describing child Ben Solo, I imagined him just as sadistic and unstable as child Joffrey was( well, maybe a bit less, since Ben had better parents, but close). Come at me, Kylo defenders XD

( Disclaimer: The author of this post is salty 90% of the time when talking about Kylo. She was also in the salt mode when writing this post. )

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  23. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I seriously wish it was Jaina who got shaped.

24. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    It might have improved her personality. [face_plain]:p

25. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I think hating a certain character is only natural in any piece of fiction. I think it rarely happens that someone reads a story/watches a movie aso. without dislikeing a character in it. Especially within large franshises like SW which feature stories of very different gernre which are adressed to very differend people.So I guess it would be hard to find a SW character who isn´t disliked by someone and in return I think every character has people who like him or her.
    Though what I really hate and dislike is ranting and bashing against certain characters and their fans.
    As a fan of Jacen Solo I´ve expirienced (mostly on the boards I´ve been before I came here) quite a lot of bashing and outright bullying from Fans who hate him, not just against the character but myself as well. And I don´t like that, nor fans who don´t accept other people opinions on topics and treat their own like solid facts.
    So I´m not against disliking charcaters but against ranting about it everywere and insulting their fans. There are treads on the boards for this topic like this one:EU characters you really dislike
    In fanfiction of course it can be done and I guess every writer myslef included is allways at least a little bit more in favorable on his or her favourite characters and I think the official authors are as well.
    And I don´t see a problem with that, a fanfic writer should be allowed to write whatever he wants. Though massive bashing of a certain character is one of the things that make me stop reading a fanfiction and that I try to avoid in my own writing.

DARTH_MU likes this.