main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    What those guys are doing is highly illegal if they try to pass it off as genuine meat noodle soup.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Not since the move. But things have been known to get glitchy after 10 000 posts so Mav and I take that opportunity to review the rules and post a new social thread. But we already have a title that Mav didn't let me use last time:p

AzureAngel2 and mavjade like this.
  3. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    The Wedding is on August 4th and the Reception in the next day.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe of interest for some:

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    run for it.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Did you not say that you go to restaurants? The wonton noodle soup we see being made is a restaurant meal.

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  7. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Do those guys even know what a wonton is?
    You are supposed to put the meat in the middle, ad thenwrap it up to shape it like a ingot.
    Wontons are not loose ground pork.
    And really there is no such thing as wonton noodle soup. There's wonton soups and there's noodle soups.
    [​IMG]
    If they say in the restaurant menu 云吞(馄饨)they are breaking the law. They are only allowed to say vegetarian noodle soup.

Here is a youtube video made by a Thai chef. But it's wontons nevertheless. My family uses method 3.

AzureAngel2, Lady_Misty and Chyntuck like this.
  8. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Ha. I wish we had restaurants serving wonton noodle soup (or plain wonton soup, or plain noodle soup) in Greece in the first place.

What I was thinking of when I wrote my post were the instant noodles I bought a while back (you know, the ones where you pour hot water and wait 5 minutes). It was the first time I had those and although they were reasonably tasty I'll definitely be checking the ingredient list on the packaging next time I'm tempted to get some.

AzureAngel2 and Gamiel like this.
  9. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    I know I am probably going to look like a whiner for posting this( I hope I am still not as whiny as Kylo though XD), just there are no friends currently online, and I have already posted a similar message on Tumblr( and I have no other social media), so don't wanna be redundant.

It really saddens me to see Star Wars: The Old Republic, my most beloved MMO( as well as BioWare in general, judging from their most recent work, but that's a different conversation) in the state it currently is. I have been playing it for 4,5 years( couldn't subscribe though, because student, living with my family who prohibit me to work until I graduate, and got no money of my own), and I am staying with it until the end, but that doesn't make things any easier. True, there might have been some quality of life improvements in the last 2,5 years, but for the most part it looks as if the devs are trying to kill the game, as well as their own reputation. Yeah, I know the original BioWare is gone, and all that's left are idiot coding monkeys, but watching the servers of my beloved MMO go emptier with each day, filling only during the latest patches, is just terrible. As if losing Star Wars to Disney wasn't bad enough. Now I get to see one of my favourite Star Wars games, as well as the last piece of the Legends continuity, to die slowly.

End of the rant. Thanks for listening. Sorry about the whining.

AzureAngel2 and Lady_Misty like this.
  10. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Is there some kind of noodle making machine you can get in Greece?

Where you buy flour add water and make a dough, then put the dough in this machine right here. One slot for making the dough flat, another to cut the flat dough into cut strips of spaghetti.

https://www.creativecookware.com/images/products/phpPJXQdB.jpg

You just stablize the machine with the provided vise, and turn the knob to operate. If practiced, you can make your own spaghetti/pasta/面 within an hour.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Past...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2ZSV5FZAPVG2T42WCS3W

Do Amazon have a branch in Greece? Does amazon.com ship to Greece?

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  11. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    :(

I played it for a week with smuggler. Went on the basic raid or two. Then I reached t he level where experience giving for tasks was slow down because I didn't subscribe. Then I finished the basic planet. Went onto Taatooine where I can't do anything (not enough experience due to none subscribing). It was cool to see a hologram of Satele Shan though.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  12. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Wow. Sounds like y'all have been pretty busy lately. (Says the girl whose time has been so thoroughly eaten up by Darth Real Life lately, that she's barely managed to check her email!) [face_laugh]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    You must have played a long time ago. As of now, it's much easier to level up. In fact, right now it's easier to get overleveled than underleveled. You also get XP boosts for doing missions much more often, and with the level sync in place, you can get XP from a mission even if you are overleveled for it. Like I said, there were quite a few quality of life improvements( the other major one being the companion overhaul so that every companion can perform in whatever combat role you want). Content quality and amount wise, it is all going downhill though.

14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    DARTH_MU I already have one of those pasta machines and I use it to make hylopites (Greek pasta, closely related to Italian pasta). But I wouldn't know what other ingredients to put in an Asian-style noodle soup and it's also a pleasure to be able to go to the restaurant for stuff you can't make at home :)

AzureAngel2 and DARTH_MU like this.
  15. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I usually just use shanghai bok choi (not bok choi). It maybe called baby bok choi, but it's not like bok choy where it's like an onion you can strip away leaf by leaf (bok choy) but leafy and much greener in color. 青菜 vs 白菜。 Anyway, then I use stripped pork meat (not ground pork, but pieces of pork cut into tiny strips). Mix That's one version. Add sesame oil for flavour. For those who don't eat pork I suppose chicken meat is a suitable substitute.

Then there is the ultra simple onion noodles. There is absolutely nothing except green onions and the noodle. Green onions not the fat ones. now cut the green grassy leaf of your green onion into 3 cm in length. Put them into boiling water with the noodles.

[​IMG]
    青菜

[​IMG]
    白菜

[​IMG]

Anyway, make your machine make stuff shaped like this
    [​IMG]

AzureAngel2, Lady_Misty and Chyntuck like this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Just popping in to say that I hope everything is fine where Briannakin is and I have a Greek cats calendar for 2017. :D

Other than that, I'm really, really, bad in terms of health and I hope it can be fixed soon.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  17. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Damn, sorry to read, Ewok Poet. :( Fingers crossed you get better.

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  19. Lightsaber123

Lightsaber123 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 31, 2007
    Take care Poet.

20. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Lots of warm fuzzies for the Poetessa!

I always sort of wanted to play the SW online world... too late now! Of course, I wouldn't want to be doing the big battles; I'd just want to be wandering around checking stuff out... :p

21. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    So I've applied to finally go to college, at a local community college. I'm hoping that federal financial aid will come through with enough Pell Grants to completely cover my tuition and books for an associate's degree. I spent this afternoon in the tutoring room at the college, going over some advanced math stuff. I have to take a placement test on Monday, and if I don't score high enough, I'll have to take a remedial course or two before I can actually start working on my degree. Being 12 years out of high school, I've forgotten a lot of this stuff. So now I have to study trigonometric functions, the quadratic formula, and how to factor polynomials. The latter two were the only math topics I struggled with in high school, and the trig functions are entirely new to me since I never took a trig class in high school.

Tomorrow, I'm going back in for more tutoring, this time on writing. My writing skills were abysmal in high school, to the point that I only graduated on time because I had an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) with a heavily modified curriculum in English class. Between RPing and fanfic, I've improved my writing skills a lot since then, but all of that improvement is creative writing. The writing prompt on the practice test is basically summarized as "write a 300- to 600-word essay taking a position on whether participation in organized school athletics should be required, and defend your position with logical arguments and examples". I have no clue how to even begin a response to that prompt, so I'm going to have to discuss writing skills with the tutors.

On the bright side, there's no time limit on the test other than the office's closing time, so I will have 4 hours for a test that's generally expected to take 2.5 to 3 hours, and I'm generally a fast test-taker on multiple choice questions, which is the rest of the test. So I figure I'll have about 2 hours to write the essay. I really hope I can avoid remedial classes. [face_nail_biting]

22. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    fun times trig.
    runs away.

quadratic formula is the easiest of the bunch, me thinks.

When in doubt, take the derivative.

and if you have no idea, always choose c (unless you know for a fact c is wrong, then run.)

run

AzureAngel2 and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I usually see it called baby bok choi around here, when I first saw shanghai bok choi in a recipe not that long ago I got excited thinking there was a bok choi I hadn't had, but nope. Our Blue Apron has been using a lot of baby bok choi recently and I've been loving it!

I hope things improve very soon Ewok Poet!

Congratulations on going back to school jcgoble3! That's awesome! =D= It takes a lot of guts to go back after it's been so long! Do you know what you want to major in?

24. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm looking into computer software development as a major. It's a field I'm already semi-familiar with (I'm already an amateur/hobbyist programmer), and jobs in that field pay well.

Probably is, but the trick is memorizing it in five days. I was never much good at memorizing stuff.

AzureAngel2 and mavjade like this.
  25. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks. A few communities have been evacuated to here and the air quality is very poor (even for a mill town), I'm not even "supposed to" go outside, but the fires in the immediate area have been put out, plus it has been cold and wet.

I hope you feel better soon.

Congrats JC, good luck on going back after so long and hopefully you will do well!

As for me, I finally finished my octopus quilt! I don't normally post my quilt projects, BUT IT IS OCTOPUSES . Plus bonus cat pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(and yes, I have no closet doors - there's actually a good explanation)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.