main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #9-13: The Enormous Profit & Annual #1 (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , May 13, 2017.

1. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Where does this bloodlust in fandom come from? [face_dunno]

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

2. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Well, I personally suspect a series with Wars in the title attracts few pacifists and I doubt it encourages pacifistic tendencies among the audience. [face_whistling]

3. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    *lying through clenched teeth* It's actually incredibly gratifying to watch your favorite character die at the hands of Darth Vader *starts choking on bitterness* because the amazing story of their life deserves a suitably epic ending *totally not raising my voice* What a way to go! I mean, can you imagine if they just lived happily ever after instead? *shoving stacks of fanfic into drawers* That would be boring, just silly

4. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    They are trying to kill Luphra in the crib.

They will not succeed.

Edit: I have foreseen it.

5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Sorry but Aphra is going to be around for a long long time. Wouldn't be surprised if she is still alive in the post ROTJ time period. Marvel isn't going to kill off their original creation that has become a big fan favorite as well anytime soon. I think there is a good chance that she ends up being the one that tells Luke and Leia about Padme and that would require her to live until after ROTJ.

6. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Actually my fear for the character is she would be killed off in a minor short story or a novella in an anthology such as bluemilk down the line.

edit: Neither Barbara Hambly nor KJA killed Callista, but years later, what happened? Someone totally uninvolved in her creation ravished the character and pretty much humiliated her and finally killed her.

Edit: So I'm saying I would prefer her to be dead than having her shaped, enteched, or took over by something like Abeloth.

7. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Bloodline say Leia researched about Padme.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    True she did. However only after she found out about it. Bloodline doesn't say how Leia initially found out who her mother was.

Here is the excerpt from the book which talks about it. I had to copy and paste it from another board as I don't remember where exactly in the book it mentions it.

Yet Leia couldn’t relax. She found herself thinking of her mother—the birth mother she hadn’t known, Padmé Amidala. After Leia had learned her mother’s identity years ago, she’d done what research she could to discover something more about the former queen and senator. She’d learned that her mother had been present at the vote that had given Palpatine ultimate power over the old Galactic Senate, and Leia could imagine the despair that must have been within her heart.

9. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Well, agree to disagree then, I'm usually rooting for my favourite characters to survive.

10. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I think you missed the sarcasm in that post.

Agree to agree.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Senpezeco and Darth_Voider like this.
  11. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Wow, what a great issue.

Art is back in track for a monthly comic release. Not mind blowing amazing, but something that I can be happy with the money that l am spending on it.

I loved that the outfit she changed into didn't match the cover. If she went prancing around in that Alderaanian inspired dress on the cover, it would seem in poor taste as she is not native and we are still only what 1 to 1.5 years out from its destruction. Her cocktail/masquerade number was appropriate to her, and I loved how she wanted to glitz up the auction for no other reason than she wanted to. (Maybe taking a number from the recently deceased queen in a certain Citadel). I want to see more outfit changes for Aphra. It seems everyone in a Star Wars comic can only afford one to two pairs of clothing over the course of a year. I know characters are cash strapped, but come on. Everyone either stinks, their clothes are extremely well worn and should be falling apart in fights, or they have closets that look like this:

[​IMG]

Speaking of that arc, why in the world is it being referred to as a long time since that event by triple 0? Is he being dramatic in the sense that he hasn't killed anyone in the span of a week, or are we really month(s) out from the events of S.C.?

Love that technopathy = Star Wars wifi. The way that it was proven by the two droids, and the actions of Rur when the handcuffs came off.

The Pride's comments about Aphra being insane to have that many automated weapons around something that has technopathy and the clear bloodlust were great too.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

BigAl6ft6, DelRiego and Jedha John like this.
  12. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I know the pride in this issue are to do with the Son-Tuul Pride shown briefly in the Darth Vader series.

But I'm curious to whether they are actually a galaxy wide organisation like the frequently mentioned (but yet to be shown) Crymorah and that Son Tuul was just a branch of the organisation.

Or if the survivors have just changed their name now that they no longer control the planet they were named after?

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  13. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Marvel, I have a request for you...

Could Aphra keep her new hair colour please?

SilentGuy66 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I do find it interesting what they are doing with the timeline now. In this one issue they mentioned it had been a month or two since Aphra found Rur and also several weeks since the Screaming Citaldel arc. Then weeks pass during this one issue. That means that likely around three months have passed since Aphra issue #6. I think it is pretty clear at this point that they are trying to speed us on our way to ESB. I have a feeling that they are planning to start the main series over at #1 set during the post ROTJ time period soon after TLJ comes out.

15. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    Really enjoyed this first issue of "Doctor Aphra and the Enormous Profit"...

...I really didn't expect Vader to enter this series this soon. But, 000 did warn us of what would happen if he got bored. Very pleasantly surprised that this arc will have Vader looming. Love how this story jives well with the Darth Vader series. I think it was issue 3 of Vader when Aphra programs both 000 and BT to have Vader and Aphra as Masters and I guess she never changed it or can't change that programming. How will Vader react to this info? I suspect he will want the crystal, but what will he do with Aphra? I most definitely do not want Aphra to get killed by Vader.

Also, why would Aphra be in the good graces of the Droid Gotra? You would think she would be droid enemy number one after not delivering 000 and BT to them. I expected there to be a big arc on droid gotra versus Aphra with 000 and BT joining the Droid Gotra...maybe that is yet to come.

Great start to a new arc with a lot to look forward to. Love the art, the comedy and the dialogue. Great set-up for a fantastic arc.

16. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    The title of this arc, like many other things about this series, has that Doctor Jones feel to it.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    Doctor Aphra and the Enormous Profit

I like it. I wonder if this will be the title-naming convention going forward on subsequent arcs.

BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Voider like this.
  17. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

[face_sick]

18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Good issue and that final panel was interesting, could she be working for Vader again in the next arc or will she find a way to escape again?

19. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    5 credits on the ending of the issues being Darth Vader picking up the crystal and crushing it in his gloved fist while Ruur talks about his immortality.

Just like that earlier holocron.

Jedha John and iPodwithnomusic like this.
  20. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

I wouldn't mind that at all. <fingers crossed>

21. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I really liked Aphra's dress design and hair style in the comic much better than the cover, it felt like it fit her character a lot better.

22. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    My bet is that Rur does something to distract Vader so that Aphra is able to flee again, and that Rur is "killed" in the process.

Jedha John likes this.
  23. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    I could see that happening. Maybe a final confrontation between Vader and Rur in the form of Vader versus a host of droids controlled by Rur's technopathy (including 000 and BT). Will be interesting to see how the "relationship" between Aphra and the murder droids survives (or doesn't survive) this arc. Can't imagine that these droids get destroyed this early, but maybe they return to Vader's service.

Aphra working for Vader again doesn't make sense to me with her character arc. But, you never know.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  24. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Great issue! I'm now really onboard with this series and am kind of starting to warm up to the murderdroids

DelRiego likes this.
  25. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Hopefully Vader's return will explain why he didn't seem to notice Triple Zero's and BT's disappearance after Aphra's supposed "death". I mean wouldn't he find it suspicious that two of his agents/ droids suddenly left his employ especially when they're programmed to only recognise one other as their other master.

I fully imagine this arc will end with Aphra escaping by exploiting another loop hole in the droids programming similar to the last time they were sent by Vader to murder her.

Aphra: You try to kill me! You set the galaxies most evil dark lord on my tail after I'd gone to so much trouble faking my death for him. And to top it all off you made me lose score of a lifetime! Give me one good reason why I shouldn't deactivate you both on the spot?
    Triple 000: The same reason you need Black Krrysantan mistress Aphra we are very good at killing people who aren't you. And now that you are left in a worse situation than you were before you came across us, you need us more than ever to protect you from the various life forms you so love to give reasons to murder you.
    Aphra: You're not getting those upgrades I promised. *storms off*
    Triple 000: Yes BT, she did have it coming.