main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh wow, I love that quilt, Bri!! [face_love]

AzureAngel2 and Briannakin like this.
  2. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    AzureAngel2 and Briannakin like this.
  3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
  4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I love the quilt too, Briannakin! That fabric is stupendous—where did you find it?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am fairly sure I wasn't even 12 days out of high school before I forgot all that nonsense. Are you majoring in a field where you actually need that stuff? My son only has to take college algebra for his major, and not trig or calc. He is a computer major. Maybe he will need it later on when he gets into a four year school. He is going for an associates degree right now.
    [​IMG]

Nice quilt Briannakin. Did you put the cat on it or did the cat see you taking photos and decided you needed to photograph him?

I see my eye doctor tomorrow. I have been on eye medication for three weeks. I take it every hour and it basically dilates my eyes and makes them blurry. It is a pain in the butt. I can drive, but usually I let my teenage son with the learners permit drive me around..so now I am in desperate need of stronger anti-anxiety medication. That kid drives way too fast. The doctor wanted to find out why I get this rare eye disease so he orders some blood tests and a chest x-ray? That confused me. So the x-ray comes back and it shows old scarring in my lungs. What? I never smoked and the military doctors told me I never had pneumonia or bronchitis. Noooooo....they said that my chronic cough and coughing up handfuls of junk out of my lungs for three months was a chest cold. I always thought I had pneumonia or something along that line and now I find out I have scar tissue in my lungs. Of course, it could be from exposure of excessive levels of asbestos from the old military quarters were were assigned. Or maybe it was exposure to the high levels of radiation through my job. I am surprised I have lived this long. Anyway, the blood test showed some weird antigen that comes from having some DNA allele that can make me susceptible to various horrible diseases. I got an appointment with a rheumatologist in December since only one doctor in the area takes my insurance. The other option is driving four hours south to a hospital near Detroit.

6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm also going for a computer major (software development, to be specific), so I probably don't need the trig and calc either. But everyone entering the college has to take the placement test to determine whether remedial high-school-level classes are necessary or if you can skip a college-level course. There's a small amount of trig on the test, but no calc. Right now, I think I'm more concerned about the writing section, which I'll be talking to the tutors about this afternoon.

In other news, I got the email informing me that I've been formally accepted as a student! So now I have to log in and go over a bunch of stuff, and talk to admissions about financial aid. Hopefully there's enough grants coming my way that I can actually afford to do this.

mavjade , AzureAngel2 and DARTH_MU like this.
  7. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
  8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Thanks for the kindness, everybody. I have a very, very serious episode of depression, it's been going on for more than two months and I have basically become a plant. I'm not able to do almost anything, even reading stuff is a struggle. But I love people here and this place so much, that I struggle to read and occasionally say something all the same.

9. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Ewok Poet and AzureAngel2 like this.
  10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks all!

The cat actually got up there by herself. Something about new quilts (or maybe me actually making the bed) draws them.

That sucks. Hopefully things don't get worse.

And Ewok Poet, I hope things get better.

Ewok Poet and AzureAngel2 like this.
  11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    We're all thinking of you, Ewok Poet. Keep pushing through!

That quilt is gorgeous, Briannakin. From a distance, it just looks like a pretty quilt; you don't really see the Octopi until you're closer. And I like how the quilting is stitched in waves.

Of course, the kitteh is the selling point! He's (she?) is so handsome! I love tuxies. Hope the wildfires are under control.

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh no, Jedi_Lover! That's all quite scary! I wouldn't be surprised if you were exposed to something in the military that caused the scarring. I hope all the tests come back okay!

Sending all my love to you, Ewok Poet!

Bri- Do you do the actual quilting part on a regular home machine? That's the thing I'm the most worried about with quilting...the actual quilting part. :p Making of the top doesn't worry me all that much.

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Glad I got tomorrow off. I'm going to see Spider-Man: Homecoming.

14. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Thank you. Lucy is a she, but she rocks her tux.

Hell no :p . I take my quilt tops to a long-arm quilter to have them actually quilted and pay them to do a professional job. I do smaller projects (like cat beds, table runners and baby quilts) at home with the most basic quilting patters (mainly just straight stitch-in-the ditch or a decorative stitch which my semi-fancy sewing machine has) but I'm horrible at what is called "free motion" quilting (which you need a special foot to do). I'm scared of ruining something I've put a lot of time (and money) into, plus I like really soft backs like flannel and minky and they are really hard on normal machines. It costs me about $100 to have about a queen-size quilt long arm quilted and I think it's worth it.

My first quilt I did back when I was 12, I actually hand-quilted it. The twin-sized quilt took me all summer to do (I had nothing better to keep me out of trouble). It was fun, but I'm kinda scared to was the thing nowadays.

AzureAngel2 and mavjade like this.
  15. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Ewok Poet - "Like" because I like you. Sending hugs across the interwebs. [:D]

16. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005

Take care, Ewok Poet. I hope you get well soon.

17. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Ewok Poet, I hope things get better for you. I have periods like that and know how frustrating they can be.
    jcgoble3, that's awesome! If you need writing tutoring in general, look at the place you hang out. Essays don't have to be daunting, but I got my sister an A in her freshman writing class by teaching her the keys to effective ones. Pm me if you ever want to bounce ideas around.

Tomorrow, I'm back to the airport with tickets to Oakland. My nephew is getting baptized on Sunday and I'm staying with my aunt so I can go. Back on Monday, but it's going to be nice to have 3/4 of my family and my aunt and uncle in the same buildings for a weekend.

18. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I hope you both get better soon Ewok Poet and Jedi_Lover [face_good_luck]

Briannakin That quilt is beautiful! And it sounds like it's quite an operation to make one.

jcgoble3 Congrats on going back to college! I'm sure that your tests will go fine, but I'm crossing fingers for you nevertheless.

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Have a safe trip, DarthIshtar . Hope everything goes well for you there. :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Please get better Ewok Poet, we miss you!

Remember to stay all the way through the credits RK_Striker_JK_5! Too many people get up and leave during the credits during a Marvel movie.

AzureAngel2, Ewok Poet and jcgoble3 like this.
  21. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    My best wishes to you, Ewok Poet. I hope this season passes soon.

22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Changing the subject completely.

The St Dimitri church in the town of Agrinio held an all-night vigil and a pilgrimage where people came to worship...

... a chestnut.

A boiled chestnut, to be precise. Boiled 27 years ago by a monk who passed away and was canonised a couple of years ago.

I was wondering what could be next, and once you go down that road there's no coming back. So I found out that we already have -- of all things -- a holy fly swatter.

Oh how I wish the Iconoclasts had won.

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Spider-Man: Homecoming was awesome. Lady_Misty , I already knew what the credit stingers were. ;)

AzureAngel2 and Lady_Misty like this.
  24. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Funny you should mention pilgrimages, Chyntuck. I'm reading my third memoir of the Camino de Santiago. Has anyone seen the Martin Sheen film The Way? It is directed by his son Emilio Estevez. This film is about the Camino pilgrimage.

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  25. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Which one are you reading brodiew? I read one in French not so long ago (Immortelle Randonnée by JC Ruffin) and it was very interesting. No boiled chestnuts were involved though, which most probably helped :p

AzureAngel2 and brodiew like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.