main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One After Rogue One, what's the best viewing order?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 21, 2016.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, that's a great trilogy of its own right there.

Gigoran Monk, EHT and PCCViking like this.
  2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    The fall, the rise, and the fall of Anakin Skywalker. :)

3. Watma Rysou

Watma Rysou Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    I think the best way to introduce the saga to a kid who has never seen Star Wars is:

TFA: Start with The Force Awakens. Its basically A New Hope. Same story but better special effects.(Not saying its a better movie at all but more enjoyable for a kid in the year 2017) A kid would never notice the part of about Luke being Leia's brother in the opening crawl or really understand it. So the surprise in ROTJ is still intact. A kid watching for the first time would never piece together the whole Dark Vader is Luke and Leia's father. His helmet is in the movie for two seconds and he is briefly discussed. A kid would hopefully wonder who this Luke guy is and want to know more of the story and think Han Solo is a pretty cool dude.

ANH( special edition): All the classic characters and scenes. Watching the special edition would be an easier transition for a child then the theatrical version.

TESB (theatrical version): Best film of the saga and maybe best film of all time. See the force being used in a bigger way. Still love the revelation of Vader being Luke's father. First time we see the Emperor via hologram. And of course Yoda!!

ROTJ (theatrical version): Jaba, Ewoks and all the fun of Star Wars that I enjoyed as a kid.

R01: Prequel of Episode 4 or episode 3.9. Awesome film shows more of the star wars universe, gives more mystique to the force without going into detail. Shows the Rebels are not this perfect group. After watching all 3 of the original trilogy most of the easter eggs and stuff can be enjoyed in this film.Watch RO1 and ANH right after each other!
    ANH again!!!!" (Theatrical version) The stories of R01 and ANH are beautiful watching together.

TESB again!!!! (newest version)

First third of ROTJ (newest version): Cut it off at the part Luke learns about his sister. You find out what happens to Han. Jabba scenes are awesome. Then death of Yoda, last time Luke talks to Obi wan and he finds out about his sister. Also get to see more of the mysterious Emperor. RIGHT AFTER WATCHING FIRST THIRD OF ROTJ WATCH TPM!!!
    TPM: Prequels watched machete style or "Godfather II flashback" style

AOTC

ROTS: Find out what happened to Jedi and how Anakin turns. RIGHT AFTER WATCHING ROTS WATCH THE LAST TWO ACTS OF ROTJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last two acts of the ROTJ: The end of the original saga! Watching it this way gives way more meaning when Vader turns good.

TFA again!!!

Here is the order again.

TFA
    ANH newest version
    TESB theatrical version
    ROTJ theatrical version
    R01-ANH theatrical version
    TESB newest version
    First third of ROTJ. Cut it off at the part Luke learns about his sister.--TPM
    AOTC
    ROTS-Last two acts of the ROTJ
    TFA

4. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Seriously?

PCCViking likes this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't think I've ever met a kid who would have the patience - or attention span - for this order to go over well.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "Just forget it." - kid

7. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    That sounds way to complicated to me. I think either doing rough release order or chronological order still works best; they allow single plot threads to play out in linear fashion.

8. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I imagine most adults wouldn't have patience for that viewing order. :p

TCF-1138 likes this.
  9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    "OK, now remember this shot before I stop this DVD, because we'll return to this point in about 6 hours when we pick up that story thread again. So now I'm gonna just change the DVDs... OK, so now we're on chapter 4 in this movie, and -- hey wait, where are you going?"

:p

10. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    As long as we don't attempt this with VHS tapes, I think I could handle it.

11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Kids would ask, "What's VHS?" :p

starfish likes this.
  12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    My kids found our VCR put away in a cabinet and asked "what is this thing?". So I regaled them with tales of rewinding tapes before returning them to Blockbuster. :p

13. Watma Rysou

Watma Rysou Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    All right, all right. Maybe not good for a kid. But good for a Star Wars expert like myself

Sarge and starfish like this.
  14. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I always introduced Star Wars to new fans using the OT-PT-ST order.

After R1, I may have to change that a little, as starting with R1 is not the best idea in my point of view.

So after R1, I am considering doing the PT-R1-OT-ST order.

I guess that this order, while losing some impact from the fatherhood and so on, is easier for newcomers to understand the story and what is happening in the OT.

Also, the PT has aged well enough, aside from some earlier CGI.

15. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6, RO, 7, HS, 8

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Be kind. Don't remind.

17. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, RO, 4, 5, 6, 7

Keep repeating until the day you die.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Jumpin around the timeline, kick off with R1 just cuz it's shiny and new and leads right into ANH, and then cut in the PT as an extended flashback after the "I am your father" bomb which sets up ROTJ. Han Solo movie after Force Awakens as a memorial / origin for Han and to let the TFA cliffhanger "breathe"

So that's

Rogue One, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens, Han Solo: A Han Solo solo movie, The Last Jedi

starfish, PCCViking and Dr_Cthulhu like this.
  19. SarlacsDinnerParty

SarlacsDinnerParty Jedi Knight

Aug 24, 2014
    As of now I belive watching the saga films first would be the best way. ep 1 - 7 Then rouge one, clone WARs and rebels.

20. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    The Han Solo movie film is going to be an interesting one to fit into viewing orders.

21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Chronologically, anyway, Solo will be after ROTS and before RO.

thejeditraitor and PCCViking like this.
  22. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    Sure, that always works well. I was more thinking about the variety of film styles, we'll have ROTS a kind of dark film, followed by Han Solo which maybe more humorous, followed by RO a gritty war film, followed by ANH which is still one of my favorite films of all time. Could be a rather fun experience.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I told my daughter we were going to try watching Star Wars in the insane way listed above. For the first heartbreaking time ever my daughter asked me, "Can we not watch Star Wars, then?".

Good job, nutty list maker person.

24. Watma Rysou

Watma Rysou Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    That's too bad. Need a tissue or want some ice cream ?

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Nah. I'm fine. My brain actually functions normally.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.