main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Here's a mentality I don't understand:

"i know racism is really bad and my behavior is actually really bad but boy are those social justice warriors loud and annoying so i'm just gonna go full racist out of spite and drop lots of n-bombs on twitter and send rape threats to random women i've never met"

Somehow SJWs are justification for going to the total opposite end of the spectrum into the depths of human filth.

"you told me to check my privilege!? how dare you?! **** you you **** ***** feminazi i hope you get raped to death by the dirty mexicans who took my job also black ppl are lazy i'm voting for trump now"

Yeah. This is an actual mindset and the actual defense for it.

Oh, and sorry for the nasty youtube speech. Just used for demonstrative purposes. You can edit it however you want, Tracy.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Shorter version: "They made us do it." Or perhaps "Look at what you made us do."

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Btw I think "the truth is always in the middle" is a poor philosophy, regardless of where the poles are located.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, the deflection of responsibility is big, as well as the immature notion that "I have the right to be a complete ass if I'm mad."

And I understand adolescent and young adult rebellion against adult authority and principles touted by "old people."

But "be nice" isn't an old-person principle, it's a human principle. And I don't know whether to laugh or cry over the idea that there's a generation reverting to norms acceptable in the 1950s as a way of rebelling against the "old people" Generation Xers.

Especially since I don't think the level of YouTube and 4chan style commentary was normal even in the days when racism and sexism were far more socially acceptable.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The idea that "the truth is always in the middle" being wrong is far greater than politics though. If you study philosophy as a subject you come across the reasons that this is a failing idea. This being wrong predates America.

Mortimer Snerd, tom and CT-867-5309 like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    On another note, looks like Trump hired a troll for an attorney:

Kasowitz tells critic in email, "Watch your back, *****"

I really should not have to put a language warning for an article quoting an attorney for the President of the United States but these are the times we live in.

BTW, this story appeared in the Washington Examiner and ProPublica and the letter itself is cited on Twitter, but if anyone has a Snopes or FactCheck.org article indicating that it's "fake news," I'll welcome it.

V-2 and Yodaminch like this.
  7. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
  8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yeah, more damage to the presidency, that is.

9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    You know he has kind of a shaky familiarity with grammar. What he meant to say was that he's accomplished more than every president, combined. Every time he wakes up in the morning the stock market's doing a little bit better and a third of registered voters stand up a little bit straighter; he's got Congress lined up to apologize for his Tweets so he never has to. He's likely to get another Supreme Court nominee who will steer the rule of law just a little bit more Tea Partyward. He can order a cheeseburger up to his bed in the middle of the night and no one can tell him no.

10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

At the start of the year, I remember someone in this thread predicating (after Trump) the US Presidency would be:

a) extremely authoritarian

or

b) purely ceremonial.

11. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The lawyer apologised for sending it so confirmed. Also apparently the wall needs to be clear so that Americans can spot bags of drugs before they are hit in the head.

12. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I really shouldn't have to expect the phrase "The president lashed out on twitter today..." but these are the times we live in. Absurd, backward, and flat-out wrong times.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    MarcusP2 : If Americans are getting hit on the head by bags of drugs, maybe we just need to learn how to catch. :p

14. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    :confused: What the hell was that? There isn't even a link to his platform.

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    So now it turns out that there was a former Soviet spy at the Trump Jr./Russian lawyer meeting. Must have slipped his mind before now.

Does anyone outside the true believers of Trumpland really believe that nothing happened at that meeting, or that Trump wasn't aware of it at the time?

On a different (but very related note in political terms) note, economic indicators are trending downward. For all their loyalty to Trump, if the economy goes down in a perceptible way, previously loyal people will turn on Trump. Not altogether, of course, but there will be more defections than people thought possible.

Juliet316 , V-2 and Vaderize03 like this.
  17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    lol Probably just a stunt for a new album.

though I did find this http://www.salon.com/2017/07/14/kid-rock-for-senate/

"The notion of running a campaign based on music rather than speeches is… novel, but Ritchie insists that “it’s not a hoax, it’s a strategy and marketing 101!”"

oh wait, it's just a new schtick!

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I assume you're in because of mr. Rock's intricate knowledge of policies, and extensive record of cold-headed assesments of political, economic and social situations?

19. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Late reply, but FOX news has been steadily pushing the "There's nothing wrong with colluding with a foreign government" for the past several days and if you go to any right wing sites they're all parroting their talking points. The difference is that since right wingers now see Russia as an "ally" ("Putin's a strong leader why wouldn't we want to ally ourselves with him in the war against Islam?") while the rest of the sane world views them as an adversary, so "What's wrong with accepting help from an ally?"

(On a side note, I find it hilarious the right wing is now all pro-Russia when they were the ones pushing McCarthyism during the Cold War).

And you're right, nothing's going to happen. The Washington Post did an article about why the GOP will not touch Trump no matter how bad it gets, due to his 85-90% support among Republicans: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...g-impeached-this-year/?utm_term=.9b40617d43e6

Juliet316 and Rew like this.
  20. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Yeah, that Washington Post article was a real eye-opener for me. I'm not sure what exactly we who are left-of-center can do at the present moment (other than join you lot in Canada, haha), but I know the GOP will forever be useless in taking any real action against Trump.

Juliet316 and unicorn like this.
  21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    ITT The Red Scare.

A SPECTRE OF SOVIET COMMUNISM HAUNTS US

22. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Well, the lies do keep on coming. Unfortunately, as long as Republicans are in control of Congress, nothing will happen to Trump.

Alpha-Red and Juliet316 like this.
  23. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    There's an important story today in the Times about the reverence for Putin and what he represents to many on the right: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/14/us/politics/putin-trump-conservatives.html?_r=0

The view of strength being a virtue above almost everything else, along with obedience to authority, can't be underestimated with regard to Russia in general and Putin in particular. This is primarily about authoritarianism, which has always been present in the United States. However, it had never taken control of the federal government before now. It's supported, of course, by tens of millions of Americans who are either sympathetic to this view or actively share them. Far from being repelled by accusations of collusion, I would say that a significant number of Trump supporters are unmoved because they see it as either a good thing or not something to be concerned about.

This strain of authoritarianism has always been around in Christianity, and particularly in the United States. It's not really about Christianity, of course. It's about obedience to authority and power, with all power belonging to the "right" people. Christianity is just a costume for this ideology.

I don't see them being particularly concerned about Putin or Russia. He's doing what many of them want to see here.

appleseed, Juliet316 , Rew and 2 others like this.
  24. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    From what I've seen on commentary on Brietbart et al. the right wing admires Putin because he represents what so many of them look up - white male Christian patriarchy where people of colour/women/GLBTQ/Muslims are kept in their place. They think allying with Russia is great because then "the West has an ally in the war against Islam". Putin also hates feminists, GLBTQ people, Muslims and people of colour just like them so bonus!

25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    This direct confrontation may have been inevitable at some point in our country's history. It had always been going on, but usually under the cover of other things, since it wasn't considered acceptable to be upfront about it (at least in the postwar era). It's authoritarian Christianity vs. a more secular worldview. Now it's out in the open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.