main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Yeah good idea we stop the hating war lest we turn the scribblepad into hate pad.

2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005

Good point, Anedon. However, I think think there is a difference in disliking a character because he is a villain or has made a bad choice and outright personal anger at a character because of their very existence. I certainly did not like the direction that was taken with Jacen, especially in light of Anakin's demise. It left us with Jaina, who is not a bad character, but one I never felt was fully realized. She was reduced a gifted pilot who couldn't decide whom she loved.

That said, I absolutely agree that bullying for any reason is unacceptable. As SW fans we she be above that kind of nonsense. My two cents

3. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I think ranting is okay unless it degenerate into attacks such as "no sane person can like character X, if you like character x, you should just .......". It's okay/or should be okay to say "I hate character x so much, character x only deserves a horrible death in all of my fanfics".

Mistress_Renata and brodiew like this.
  4. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Defenetly
    There are two types of hate, there a characters like Palpatine most fans "love to hate" as he is a cool and intresting villian and the hatred of a cretian character for their part in the story like Jar Jar or 3PO for being to silly.
    And I agree with you, that the direction Jacen and Jaina took after NJO wasn´t something I´m happy with either. All of the Solo kids deserved better in my opinion.

5. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    They certainly did.
    I would argue the direction of Jacen and Jaina in the NJO ruined them. The NJO ruined everything.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  6. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Well that's your opinion.
    An opinion I disagree with but I understand and respect it.
    But lets remeber that this is the scribble pad so we should try to keep the discussion on that.

divapilot likes this.
  7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    When I was a little kid, I disliked C-3PO as I somehow had the impression that he picked on R2-D2.

I seem to have gotten over that.

After Return of the Jedi, I seriously went off Luke Skywalker after he had kicked Vader in the chest aboard the Death Star.

It would appear that somewhere during the EU, I got over that too.

When I learned that Chewbacca had been killed, and pieced together the circumstances; I channelled the incandescent rage towards Anakin Solo.

I thought I had gotten over that, but referring to one of my therapeutic crossovers in our recent Crossover Support Group thread, it would appear that I really haven't. Though he is not a character that I actively denounce anywhere.

8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I never hated any character. I dislike some, but hate? Why would I?

9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, not sure I ever really hated Callista. I liked the purposed she filled for Luke (I think she loved the Jedi, but not the man behind the title and that was important for Luke to learn), so perhaps it is a "love to hate" sort of thing since she broke Luke's heart. But I also disagreed with the idea of Callista essentially killing Cray because she wanted to be with her dead lover (not a reason to assist someone with suicide).

BUT THIS ISN'T AN EU DISCUSSION THREAD. If you want a clarification on "hating" (which is allowed) and "baiting" (which isn't, and thankfully isn't occurring here), PM one of the mods.

I say we move onto more fanfic topic (as others have tried). So. Uhhh... uhhh...

Am I the only one here that procrastinates starting to write all evening, then when I finally sit down, I can't stop till like 3AM? I have no reason to get up in the mornings now and it is getting to be a problem.

10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I have location-based procrastination. I am most comfortable, these days, at my PC at work; and is where I write my drabbles, but because I am not allowed to log onto the Boards from there, and the nature of the business makes it less....of a good idea to email things to my personal account, I have to print out the work, bring it home, then sit at a machine to re-type it.

I am less comfortable at my late Dad's desktop, the only machine connected to the internet, so that is where the procrastination kicks in. I have the material already created, the hardcopy by the keyboard, but that is where the delays start to creep in.

I am slightly more comfortable at my own laptop, not connected to the internet by personal choice, but it is in the room where the lighting was disabled by my recent flooding, so if I procrastinate enough that daylight fades, I can't that one.

Findswoman likes this.
  11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    If it's past 9:00 pm, I don't even try. Have to be up early in the mornings, which means bed by 10 if I want to be functioning the next day. I'll scribble in notebooks during my commute, but to carve out serious writing time, it's weekends or Friday nights (and always trying to get the cat away from the keyboard). Seriously, how do professional writers manage when they own cats?!!

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL Renata! That's too funny! Tooka trouble! [face_laugh] :rolleyes: I like to write weekends to post then or mid-week. With little tweaks in the evenings during the week if necessary. Gotta have the music playing softly in the background too. :)

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  13. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I can't write if anyone else is around, so I don't get much time to write. I am very self-conscious of my writing. I need to eliminate any chance that someone might be reading over my shoulder.

That said, I don't have a particular time of day where I write. I can have the TV on or off, it doesn't matter to me. When I'm on summer vacation I tend to like to write in the mornings, but when school's back then I am limited to either evening or Saturdays (before errands). Sundays are usually for school work, and I can't write then. The schoolwork distracts from the writing and the writing distracts from the schoolwork. I'll use writing as a reward for finishing my grading, though.

14. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I may listen to music to get inspiration. Soft music, classical, or even from the 60's to the 70's music is the ones I'm talking about. No heavy rocks or anything. Maybe country. Then once I start writing. I need complete silence.

Findswoman likes this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I could write anywhere and on anything, at any given time. I guess that is why this ability was taken away from me by the Force itself.

Findswoman likes this.
  16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    My inspiration is pretty fickle. I could have a small burst of production and then enter the desert of DWB. I do like a Round Robin every now and again because the pressure is usually pretty low.

Findswoman likes this.
  17. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    We should have a Round Robin recruitment thread.
    We cannot just mass tag people and ask if they are interested in joining a round robin.
    If we had a round robin thread, then we can post Who want to join in a round robin? Like the concrit allowed thread. Where there is a list of people who are available for joining round robins.

18. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I think that's a great idea, DARTH_MU. Interest in Round Robins is cyclical and thread would certainly be something that could ebb and flow with interest.

19. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Interesting new topic, Briannakin! Let's see... for me it varies a good bit. The short answer is that I try to squeeze it in whenever I can during the day, which usually works out to be either during momentary lulls at work or later in the evening after my son goes to bed. The latter can be hit or miss, though, as I often have a lot of other things (practicing, email writing, chores, etc.) piled up during that after-bedtime time as well.

In general I need things to be pretty quiet for writing, which makes it difficult to do in any sustained way when my son's around (though I'm getting better in that area). Also, I'm naturally more of a morning person than an evening person, which is another factor that makes the evening time difficult. I wish I could do more writing in the morning, but between making breakfast, helping my son get ready for school/camp, etc., that's not so easy. So I'm rediscovering my inner night owl a bit, I guess! :D

Ewok Poet and DARTH_MU like this.
  20. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    A general round robin thread is a good idea - perhaps you can PM us mods with how it would work exactly.

I can't write until about 10 PM usually. I'm a complete night owl and I HATE it because I cant get anything done during the day. I have to be alone when I write. I'm super self-conscious when it comes to my writing - except with strangers on the internet :p Back when I lived with my family, the only "alone" time I ever really got was late at night so that was really the only time I felt comfortable writing. It's not so bad now that I live alone, but I still find myself more distracted during the day.

Findswoman likes this.
  21. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
  22. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    :cool: I have taken it to PM and invited the mods.

23. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I wish I could write in the evenings, but the writing part of my brain just won't cooperate after 6 pm. I usually write very early in the morning before I go to the office, and a lot on weekends. My best writing days are those where I don't need to go to the office until midday. I get a lot of time to write, and there's no one home to disturb me.

24. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I usually don't have any specific time that I write. It's just whenever.

25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm usually too tired at night to write, too. My job is mentally demanding, not physically demanding, and after spending a day in front of a computer it's hard to come home and spend the night, too. I do better on weekends.