main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is the Rebel Alliance a dictatorship in canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LelalMekha, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It's not the image Bail Organa would want to project but I think his reputation is the least of the things he'd be willing to sacrifice for galactic freedom.

After all, he involved his daughter and planet in the Rebellion knowing both might die.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    What I'm saying his that he wouldn't want to support even publicly if not privately Palpatine's policies as it would make him feel responsible-you know giving evil approval.

3. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    This mentality of joining the enemy and trying to reform from the inside only work in fiction.

4. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    It's proposed all the time in RL yet isn't take seriously that much.

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    If only there was a term for people who gathered information and covertly worked behind the scenes to harm someone while appearing loyal.

Some sort of agent who has double loyalties.

Or a person who spies on someone else.

Damn, what a world we would live in if such people existed.

Seriously? It's not that difficult of a concept that Bail Organa would be one of Palpatine's insiders while working to thwart him through the creation of the Rebel Alliance. OF COURSE he would be responsible for whatever he supported but if he went against Palpatine publicly in a totalitarian dictatorship, then he'd be taken out.

Iron_lord and Darth_Duck like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's not Bail's goal though - his goal is to survive long enough, for the time when the Empire can be rebelled against openly, to come- and to create the Rebellion infrastructure in secret while waiting for the right time for the Rebellion to strike.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Bail Organa manages to spend 20 years as a Senator in the Imperial Senate and still highly regarded. At least until he turns over his position to Leia.

I'm inclined to think he was a face of the Empire but the benevolent "victory without war" kind.

Mind you, I suspect Palpatine was never fooled for a second. However, keep your enemies closer and all that.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013

An elegant system, for a more civilized age.