main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    ****!

So I was right to pick up on the fact that they wanted to inspire religious imagery. However, the reason for it was = MOAR EPIC.

Subtract 3 points for being lazy. If you want to do something that has such strong ties to a specific point in a specific story, there better be a better reason for it than MOAR EPIC.

I can get on board with the trials being a "poor man's" Labors, but even that is a stretch due to them being called off halfway up the mountain. If you want to give Vader his own Labors, don't cheapen it by giving him a warp tube that sends him right to the boss battle.

Ugh. I initially liked the issue. Now hearing their explanations leaves an ashy taste in my mouth.

Just stick to your own mythology and don't cheapen the story by making a "Vader Moses" moment or a "Vader Hercules" moment.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

cwustudent likes this.
  2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Well he's not going to beat a Jedi Master with one functioning leg.

3. ExplosivEwok

ExplosivEwok Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2017

Okay... I had no idea this existed before right this moment.

Is anyone else completely weirded out that an ABC News guy is reviewing a single issue within a Darth Vader comic?

4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    There is another one for the first two issues.
    I really liked this issue, and I'm glad to see Vader struggling with his new condition though his "Moses" moment was a little bit much in my taste. The artwork is fabulous, especially all the colors which is also what I loved about the Kanan comic series.

5. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    The third issue felt much more substantial than #2, and I liked that In'fila dispensed with the cliché trials. He's a suitably challenging adversary for Vader.

I was a bit unclear as to when the armor/material covering his leg was torn; closer inspection revealed that it happened between panels as he fought the Raptorans. Strange that they didn't highlight it more!

BigAl6ft6 and Vialco like this.
  6. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Are they playing it on regular TV?! Or is it like a youtube special?

7. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Doesn't Disney own ABC? Free marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    This was a terrible and disappointing showing for Vader.....
    I mean I wasn't expecting Vader to just show up and one hit In'fila and claim his saber but it just seems so inconsistent from the Vader we were just shown previous issues. He literally has no problem with his cybernetics and seems to move and fight with ease yet here he is utterly dominated in a light saber fight in just a few panels. Anakin's force wall should have been able to withstand anyone not named Yoda, Sidious or Windu. It makes no sense that this never heard of Jedi Knight is literally leagues above him. I mean he straight up calls out Vader as being "Weak." The chosen one is WEAK? Did we not just see Vader force push Palpatine an issue back? Anakin as Vader is still very powerful. He's at least on par or above Dooku and only 10-20% below Palpatine himself.

We should have seen both combatants going toe-to-toe with In'fila coming out on top only by the skin of his teeth. Having In'fila walk away without a single mark on him is hard to believe. I dont see how you can logically show him losing to Vader after this without massive plot induced stupidity. My prediction is Vader somehow "outsmarts" him at some point, and we get a very anti-climatic moment where a boulder or object falls atop him or Vader surprises him from behind with some killing blow. Having Vader "steal" a victory is going to feel very unearned and cheapen him. This needed to be a clear showing that Vader is still capable to be apprentice to Sidious. Dragging himself to Palptine's footsteps in bloody pieces doesn't exactly show himself as a competent apprentice.

9. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I wonder if were going to get a twist. What if In'fila is not being set up in getting killed off in the early part of this series. Instead Vader will acquire his saber, but the Jedi will escape to fight another day.

10. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    In'fila will never make it off that planet. He has no ship with which to escape.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  11. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    If Vader hadn't been exposed during the fight with the raptorans, Infil'a wouldn't have known about Vaders mechanical limbs. During the lightsaber fight (that Vader is not getting his ass kicked during) Infil'a crushes one of Vader's legs and Vader collapses. At this point Anakin/Vader has never had to fight with only one mechanical leg, and he collapses. At this point, I guarantee there is a part of Anakin/Vader that wants Infil'a to win. End his pain. Infil'a pushes him off the cliff instead of killing Anakin/Vader which will only piss him off more one he gets a new leg. More Rage = More Sith strength.

I also am not quite sure that the timeline is sinking in for you yet. Anakin/Vader is only 3 days POST burned alive and losing his 3 remaining limbs. He is not going to be anywhere close to full Anakin strength or OT Vader strength. This SHOULD be Anakin/Vader at his Weakest. Not his prime.

cwustudent, Ulicus , Vthuil and 5 others like this.
  12. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I have to reiterate my absolute disgust at Palpatine for making his apprentice go through all this so soon after his terrible ordeal on Mustafar. It really is sad to think that this is all Vader has left. The boundless youth and happiness of Anakin Skywalker is all gone. Some part of Vader must want his pain to end. I'm really surprised he hasn't headed straight for Naboo. The first thing he said after being recalled to life was asking about Padme.

13. Rickleo123

May 20, 2016
    Thats the feeling I'm getting too. Vader is going to "steal" a victory somehow or outsmart but not outright kill him. I mean the writer said he purposely is leaving some answers about him unanswered, so as to make fans ask questions about him. Why do I get this sinking feeling there is going to be another Jedi exile that lives in the OT era along with Ezra, Ashokha, Kanan and the rest.... hardly wiping out the jedi when the Galaxy is still populated with them during the OT. o_O

14. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Well we got 19 years before ANH, plenty of time to give this Jedi some more years of life before dying pre-rebels.

15. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Someone said Vader looks like a Magic Girl it this last issue and now I can't see it and don't think in Sailor Moon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I think marvel comics could use more comics from the perspective of new characters beyond Aphra. Like how she got a spin off from Vaders series, I hope this new Jedi gets the stage of his own comic. If he dies in this new Vader series, we could get a pre-order 66 comic about him. Or if he survives beyond this story about Vader, we can later get more early dark times through his eyes.

spicer likes this.
  17. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    A pre order 66 comic for Infil'a is only interesting if we see the events that lead him to taking the Barish Vow and what that meant to the other Jedi at the time he undertook it. I am not sure I would enjoy a post Barish Vow, pre Vader book.

spicer and Darth_Pevra like this.
  18. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    People are talking about how In'fila defeating Vader is so unexpected. But one key thing about that fight is that Vader is unarmed. If he had a lightsaber with him, the battle would have gone very differently.

Anakin really does like to make things harder for himself. He could easily have taken a Jedi lightsaber from the Brighthome and used it in the fight against In'fila. But there's too much Jedi in Anakin to want to take the quick and easy path.

19. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Eh, he tore out the droid/saber/electroblade, so he wasn't "un-armed"

I think that most people upset with Vader not defeating Infal'a, are still just not putting the pieces together on timeline. They see the suit and they just think it should be badass Vader, when this is really Baby Vader taking his first steps.

Once readers orient themselves, hopefully they will be able to understand that this is a building block series. Everyone expecting Dark Times is going to be disappointed. That isn't what this is.

SilentGuy66 and Vialco like this.
  20. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I agree, the other factor is that Vader is fresh off his horrible ordeal on Mustafar. That he's walking fighting at all is a testament to his will and strength as a warrior.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  21. FalconStang

FalconStang Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2017
    boy this thread curled up and died real quick, didn't it?

fate ?
    destiny ?
    fact of exisistence?
    hmm, who knowz?

22. Rickleo123

May 20, 2016
    But there has been ZERO indication of this so far. I mean just a few pages back we bickered about how this "new" Vader right after ROTS is shown as having ZERO problems with his suit, has no indication he has any problems tapping into the force or fighting issues at all. I mean if this was properly setup by showing him struggling to walk, jump, fight and adjust to his new suit then I would buy it. But the writer has given us NOTHING expect showing him leaping, jumping, being agile, strong enough to force push Palps and generally being the same confident/cocky Vader we knew from ANH. It makes no sense.

23. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I was surprised to see his cybernetic leg break so easily. We know in Disney Canon that Palpatine spared no expense in rebuilding Vader. They used the best cybernetics available in the Empire. Strange that his mechanical leg ends up being so fragile. Unless this is a case of metal being no match for the power of the Force.

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This issue, in brief:

[​IMG]

AhsokaSolo, BigAl6ft6, spicer and 2 others like this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I don't think Vader has yet unlocked to full power of the darkside within him. He may be full of rage, but it still seems uncontrolled, without direction. Remember, he just lost to Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan may be a powerful Jedi, but he's not the most powerful one of the order. In'fila could be even more powerful than Obi. When Vader fought the thugs in issue 1 he was hit with a blast. That wouldn't have happened to Vader Down Vader, no Sir. I expect this comic to tell the tale of his rise to full glory. But before he can unlock the full power of the darkside he will have to pass various challenges, one being the fight against In'fila.

SilentGuy66 and tatooinesandworm like this.