main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Maul (Marvel) #1-5 & Probe Droid Problem (5/5 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by starocean90, Nov 14, 2016.

1. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

I agree. So far, this is shaping up to be in the top tier of Star Wars stories that Marvel has told. I know this was billed as a limited series and chances of the Padawan walking away are slim, but I wouldn't mind seeing the story continue. That plus it is butting against a certain movie. Oh well. Maybe we can see a continuation of Maul's crew? Cad Bane's eyeless Droid and gang! I wouldn't mind that at all!

2. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

I wouldn't mind a Cad Bane/Bounty Hunters comic series either.

They could also do more Darth Maul stuff set years before TPM and show us younger version of Maul while he was still training. Or perhaps a series set between TCW and Rebels.

3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I think the 2000 Dark Horse Darth Maul comic still occupies all the accolades of respect if not canonicity outright now due to the Legends branding for that series. Still quintessential Darth Maul reading in any case. Also interesting how he went by " Maul" and "just Maul" to the living Black Sun operatives and in one panel he blinded with his lightsaber one of the bodyguards.

Maul will be back, he's a trained Sith Lord and a Nightbrother warlock son of Dathomir - the Force is always with him and he it .

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    My pipe dream is Maul continuing as a post-ROTS series and running parallel to an also-continuing Vader series, a la Star Wars and Aphra.

Erkan12 and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  5. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015

It could work. Even thou we know how its going to end, that Maul has to end up stranded on Malachor at least few years before the events of Rebels, we could still have couple of years of Maul running around the galaxy after TCW, hiding from the Empire, be hunted by the Inquisitors, etc.

MandaloreRex2015 and Ithorians like this.
  6. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Or a couple of Order 66 survivor Jedi... ? Bounty Hunters ? It could be interesting indeed.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  7. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Just finished #5.

The battle was decent, but nothing surprising.I'm not sure what the purpose the blind droid was meant to serve.

The idea that the Sith lust for vengeance led to emptiness is fascinating; Sidious has given his apprentice a goal that will get him nowhere while serving his own grand ambitions. And of course we see this in Maul's sad final moments in Rebels.

The colorist in this issue did a great job, I loved how Maul's eyes shone in the darkness.

8. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Awesome artwork and every character was written perfectly. This is what I expect from Star Wars comics. I'd say this is in my top 3 favourites of the canon comics, along with Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir and Kanan.
    I found Maul's dissatisfaction with the kill to be surprising but very interesting, and once I gave it some thought it makes perfect sense. I kinda liked the way Palpatine had planned it all from the start, but it can get a little tiresome how any story with Sheev ends with him revealing he knew everything all along.

9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    This was truly one of the best of the Star Wars Marvel offerings. Great art, spot on writing, cool character interactions. A very fine wrap up issue for a great series.

The next issue ad is for the Mace Windu comic???

redxavier and Erkan12 like this.
  10. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Well actually goal was for Maul to complete his clandestine
    Sith trial , to embrace the very nature of the Sith Order, which is defiance - on all levels which includes defiance against the Sith Master. They were born in defiance. So he passed & accomplished that trial with all the mad excellence of a Sith Lord and he killed his first Jedi. That right there puts an end to any supposed fan debate on whether Maul was a "true" Sith Lord in Sidious's eyes or otherwise fan speculations . Sidious was not looking for disposable muscle but someone that carries forward and takes initiative, someone that could one day take over and replace him. Maul not feeling satisfied is the nature of the Sith and the type of destroyer Sidious had groomed, always hungry - and Maul's next meal is gonna be the Jedi Order which soon takes the form of Master Jinn. If Maul's emptiness was filled, if his hunger was satisfied by killing Eldra then Sidious would have no further use for someone like that, as his hunger would be placated and he'd lack the drive to kill the Jedi Knights.

*Sidious testes Vader's defiance later on with the whole Clyo fiasco, when Vader defies Sidious and raises his droid army.

Have to say, Eldra dropping a mountain on a partially naked Maul without it phasing him one bit was damn impressive. He's an inhuman killing machine . He just plunged straight through it all and impaled into her with his lightsaber with marksman precision ending her life in one clean quick strike - that I think was tastful and fitting for Maul to do per his warrior code however twisted by evil . He granted her the honor of using her name and recognizing that she was a Jedi - something she was in doubt of, or tried denying being one to attempt to deny Maul the Jedi kill satisfaction. The ending when he kills the crimeboss madame as she thinks he's there to avenge her at first but then waits for her to conclude he's a Sith to strike her down was interesting. In part he was there to avenge her in his own unique manner one must still assume.

I liked the part when she was hurling a field of rocks at Maul and he used his lightsaber in a fan manner and cut them to harmless pebbles. Maul does not need a trick lightsaber of an Inquisitor, he does it all with his single twirl of his own wrist.

Sudooku, MrDarth0, BigAl6ft6 and 4 others like this.
  11. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I was critical of this comic early on and almost dropped this title but I'm glad I didn't. It got a lot stronger as it went on. Maul was given a worthy adversary in Eldra, whom I found to be an interesting character. Maul's characterization was intense and interesting and the writer does a GREAT Cad Bane. So well done!

12. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I just finished the #5 issue, overall I really liked this series. It added a little defiance to Maul that we haven´t really seen in him at this point, and that´s pretty much ok to me, because as a Sith he should dwell in betrayal and selfishness.
    The only thing I could add as a little minus is that the last issue felt a little rushed to me. Maybe it´s just that I liked the story, but I would have welcomed a little more development. The droid felt a little pointless (I liked the idea of him being Triple 0, but it added to the small universe syndrome, so it´s better this way). Maul´s dealing on Xev Xrexus felt rushed to me too, and within the story, there wasn´t a proper explanation on why Maul would left Cad Bane, Aurra Sing and Vorhdeilo alive, if they were living proof of his perceived betrayal towards his master. A lot of trust for a Sith Lord, but well, apparently Bounty Hunters are trust worthy, since Sidious used them too in TCW.
    All in all, great portrayal of Maul, and a likable character in Eldra Kaitis. Now I´m left hoping to see, at some point, a new comic showing us Maul between TCW and Rebels. There is great potential in that time period as well...

13. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    This series proves Maul is no fool. He knows the journey is more important than the destination. He doesn't chase Obi-Wan because killing him will feel good. He does it because he lives for the thrill and anticipation of fighting those who have wronged him.

14. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
  15. Fett-One

Fett-One Jedi Master

Aug 7, 2005
    I got a question, which relates to the current Darth Vader series so my question is in spoilers for anyone that hasn't read that series yet.

According to the Vader comic, Sith get their lightsabers by killing a Jedi and taking that Jedi's lightsaber. In this story, Darth Maul says that this is the first time he has ever killed a Jedi, yet he already has a lightsaber.

How did Maul get a lightsaber? Did he have to go on some sort of test to acquire one? Did he simply make one? If Maul made one, does that mean Palpatine is simply lying to Vader and his quest is just a test to see if Vader is still worthy of being his apprentice now that he is more machine than man?

This is just something that was nagging me about the story. Otherwise, I enjoyed it and thought the art nice.

KamNale and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  16. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah I think Pablo responded to that saying that that story has yet to be told

what that means is that they didn't think about that detail when they wrote this story

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm 99 percent certain this is the case.

cdgodin, Daneira and Fett-One like this.
  18. Fett-One

Fett-One Jedi Master

Aug 7, 2005
    Vthuil, that's my personal opinion on the matter as well. I guess we will just have to wait and see if the story group ever gives a definite answer on the matter.

Daneira likes this.
  19. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Actually, if you scroll through the Vader thread, you'll find that this question was already answered a while back.

20. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Some of the speculation I've read is that Sidious didn't lie to Vader and decided to pass on that tradition for Maul in the interest of the secrecy needed for their Grand Plan. The same speculation also wondered if this created a deep-seated inferiority complex in Maul, making him feel that he wasn't a real Sith in the eyes of his master.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Great ending because it does show how inherently hollow the Sith life is. Also check out the art for something resembling ... compassion? After Maul sticks it to the Padawan. The man is going through some emotional dealings but, like Vader, he expresses it mostly via murder.

Awesome to see Darth Maul cracked the top 10. Marvel likes when minis hit big so maybe a ongoing Maul series is possible.

22. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014

Generally speaking here. .. that comic was about Vader not Maul. I think its pretty clear Sidious is testing Vader on whether he was a "real Sith" and thus worthy to maintain position as his Sith Apprentice after his failure on Mustafar and losing his lightsaber in the process. Its not a considience that Sidious's lesson immediately follows being bolted. It had nothing to do with Maul or any "inferiority complex"(don't forget that both Maul and Sidious had two Sith kybers not the one of Tyranus or Vader). Vader's personalized trial simply more forced Sidious to enact an old Sith tradition(possibly pre-Bane) precisely because he was aggravated at Vader?! Jedi are trained and disciplined to never lose their lightsaber, so its very likely that applies to a Sith Lord as well. So that makes more sense and in line with their narrative. .

Following the other route, what Jedi did Sidious kill for his kybers, what Jedi did Plagueis kill for his? Or his master before and so on down the line to Bane and his apprentice. Dooku never bother about taking a kyber from master Dyas' lightsaber, it was found later on still in his lightsaber by Koon. If Vader still had his blue kyber (and he used it as a newly christened " Sith Lord" and it was certainly a kyber christened in the blood of the good by his own evil), don't you think that the whole thing would not of been concocted in the first place? Don't you think Dooku would've simply corrupted his own kyber to red once be became a Sith Lord?!

Its more trolling than anything tangible or innocent as "fan spec" sadly, some posters around here are driven by a strange need to delegitimatize Darth Maul as a Sith Lord and just grasping at straws .

This story takes place well after Maul is fully trained and well after Maul became a Sith Lord and well after his skills with his lightsaber were complete. The answer more appears it was an oversight on Lucasfilm's part. Marvel's Vader comics are mainly driven by Sidious putting Vader through his own trials for failures, one for a post Mustafar(new Vader series) and the other later on for post Yavin(the first Vader series). This Maul comic was Maul taking his final step, he was tested and passed. And all other Sith Lords would've been like Maul including Sidious and Plagueis , where did they get their kyber's from and they were all acting under secrecy and building towards the goal which took them 1,000 years following the Darth Bane's legacy of the Rule of Two.

Maul's saber worked fine against Kaitis, Jinn and Kenobi and served him well into the clone war period . Sith Lords could've gotten their kyber crystals from taking them from Malachor, or passed down through master and apprentice for generations , killing Dark Jedi, other Sith Lords or other kyber crystal carrying warriors, maybe some giant red kyber exists and they take shards from it. We don't know. But a some point Lucasfilm will have to explain the apparent anachronism with the whole Sith kyber stuff,and more Maul stories will come along eventually.

We also see Maul destroys Kaitis's lightsaber after he kills her and he also does away with Kenobi's sword on Naboo and in all likelihood would've done the same to Jinn's. .So there was no importance to for him for their weapons or kybers. In the OT and much of the EU, it was more about the creating your own lightsaber and not about what kyber the hilt contained even to Vader when he talked to Luke in ROTJ.

Actually Sidious says to Maul, "... "our" Sith Order".

[​IMG]

He just passed the trial of defiance in which had hunted and killed a Jedi in spite of Sidious' threats and orders to maintain secrecy goal - and it turns out Sidious was the one that orchestrated this trial in the first place. Sidious was pleased with Maul's assertiveness and he took the final step of a Sith Lord by completely embracing the very nature of the Sith Order. It was more a gift that Sidious gave Maul, as his hunger only intensified not diminished and he only became more powerful not less. It turned out it was more a reward for both Master and Apprentice, as Maul proved his loyalty by his assertive disobedience and aggressive guile, and Sidious was satisfied in his own student.

As I said before those nonsense fan specs are thoroughly proven false with this comic.

23. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    They should really do such a post Order66-series. Maybe it could start with a double episode about the treason of Gar Saxon against Maul at Mandalore and Maul's flight from Mandalore, wrapping up Ahsoka's fate beside E.K. Johnston's novel too. After the success of Rebels such an interlude series could be feasible for Disney, if Rebels was not even meant to fuel the hunger for such a new series anyway.

Vorax: I always considered the spinning mode of the inquisitor's lightsabers as a confession of their inferior training. Maul just could not fly propeller-like with his double-blade but anything else.... :)

24. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    Really Loved This Series, probably my current favorite Star Wars marvel book, as it feels the most like a Dark Horse book (those were the best)

25. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    Great ending to a great mini-series.

Loved the art as well.

Vorax and iPodwithnomusic like this.