main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Han and Leia in the EU - A Discussion Thread (Life Debt spoilers must be tagged)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by unicorn, Feb 10, 2016.

1. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

Fair enough. People got different interpretations of the book. And with the red hair, it was more that the SW EU was really bad with every major female character having "beautiful red-gold hair" (Mara Jade, Tenel Ka, Isolder's wife whatever her name was, Daala, Shira Brie, and a bunch more). It got quite ridiculous like it was more common to have red-gold hair in a GFFA than blonde or brown.

How do we know her name is Val? I would prefer she dies but after her and Han break up. If she lives, then we're going to get an EU book where Han runs into her while he's separated from Leia and gets back together with her I bet.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    People on twitter are confused about Emilia's "why Leia is in Han Solo movie?" "Emilia Clarke is playing Leia"

DARTH_MU likes this.
  3. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    It's safe to say the Skysolos have a red hair addiction.

I'm surprised Disney haven't released their own OT (cgi edit).

4. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    What if it's true? And that she is playing Leia?

5. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    If this movie is covering Han between the ages of 18 and 24 then the oldest Leia will be is 14, so Emilia is far too old.

But how could he even have met Leia before? He clearly doesn't know who she is in ANH.

Is it actually confirmed that she IS his love interest? I know it's pretty likely but there's always the chance that she isn't I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    I really don't see any way she isn't. Every sci-fi/fantasy movie that only has one major female character she ends up being the love interest. We know she won't be Lando's love interest, because of the ban on black male/white female relationships in Hollywood and she's too young to be Woody's, so she has to be Han's.

I just hope they break up for good reasons, not that she dies tragically in his arms or something like that.

7. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Lando worries me too because in the novel (based on the script) Lando was a dudebro who was so interested in Leia that he only agreed to help rescue Han because he thought the princess would "pay" for the favor (not with money). Probably the actor or even Ford changed that and made Lando a more interesting character than "random character that will fight for his friend's girlfriend" and Lando really cared about Han/Leia/Luke. But now nobody can stop them.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Lando was awful in the Rebels episode where he appeared. I hope he is less awful in this movie. As far as Emilia Clarke's character...if she is a love interest, I hope she's a casual one. None of this "one true love who makes him cynical after losing her" bull****.

Claire1976 and unicorn like this.
  9. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    If Emilia Clarke's character's potential romantic relationship is a casual one, that would just make Han a playboy. That's worse.

It doesn't have to be a one true love. But first love that doesn't work out for whatever reason can make a person cynical, at least for a while.

10. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Han is a playboy in his preANH life, in the canon novel a Princess, a Farmboy and a Smuggler he's got so many different girls in different ports that he can't keep their names straight and ends up getting in trouble with the one on Tatooine because he can't remember her name.

Lawrence Kasdan is writing it and he tends to see Han as Indy, so hopefully she'll just be like another Indy girl and not meant to "explain" his relationship with Leia in the movies.

Han never really seemed heartbroken in ANH to me, despite how the HST said he was. Pablo tweeted that "if Han was so heartbroken why was he making out with Jenny in the cantina?"

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll take Playboy!Han over Heartbroken!Han. I like Han's cynicism as just part of his overall personality. Making it a result of him being dumped by a woman would be somewhere between a bad Victorian romance novel and a trashy supermarket paperback. No thanks.

I've got A Princess, a Farmboy and a Scoundrel on my Kindle and I need to get to it finally. That sounds hilarious.

Emilia Clarke as an Indy girl sounds good, just as much Marion and as little Willie Scott as possible.

I think Crispin made Han heartbroken to give her own character more importance.

Claire1976, Jedi Jessy and MattOrgana like this.
  12. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001

A Princess, a Farmboy and a Scoundrel is a really great read - it's aimed for kids, but the writer does a great job getting into the minds of Han, Leia and Luke. You also get to see a peek of Leia's pre-ANH life and the sexism she faced and her torture at the hands of Vader. And Han's thoughts on meeting Leia are really cute.

I always got the impression Han was cynical because he'd had a life of hard knocks, starting from being abandoned at a young age by his parents and fending for himself on the street, not because some girl broke his heart. I remember when Lucas apparently was thinking of giving Palpatine a backstory that he was evil because a woman broke his heart and I thought that was exceedingly lame.

I hope the Han Solo movie doesn't fall into the trap of what Crispin tried to do in trying to explain every line of Han's in the OT. Like she said she put the whole thing about Bria being involved in a religious cult to explain Han's skepticism of the Force and religion in general - huh? I'm an atheist, and I didn't need some traumatic experience with religion to make me that way, I just chose not to believe in some higher power. If they can just make the movie like Guardians of the Galaxy, a comedy sci-fi heist sort of deal then I'd be more on board.

13. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    I want to buy A Princess, a Farmboy and a Scoundrel but here it's hard to find.

I saw Life Debt will release here (Brazil) in July 20 and they change the name to "Debt of honor". This book will release before Bloodline translated

14. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    You can buy A Princess, a Farmboy and a Scoundrel at Saraiva. I highly recommend it.

https://www.saraiva.com.br/star-wars-a-princesa-o-cafajeste-e-o-garoto-da-fazenda-9022349.html

And I just bought a copy of Life Debt at Nobel.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  15. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
  16. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
  17. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Awww. I'm not sure I ship them, but they're cute together.

Also if I see more gif of Reylo with Han/Leia comparing Han trying to kiss Leia on Cloud City to Kylo leering at her while she was tied up I'll throw up. This is a nice change!

18. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    What about Poe/Finn if it's going to be Rey/Finn?

19. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Poe/Finn or Finn/Rey are both great

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    Yeah, it baffles me (to say the least) that some people see a mind rape scene as romantic, or at least hinting at a future romance.

I'm a low key Damerey shipper. Even if it's very unlikely to happen (their age difference might be a problem), there's, in my opinion, a Han and Leia 2.0 vibe that makes it irresistible to me. But I'd be happy with Finn/Rey, though I have a feeling Finn and Rose will be the romantic couple of the ST, with Rey still single at the end of Ep. IX (which is completely understandable, since she's just 19).

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  21. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    I totally forgot about that. Luke/Leia finished the OT at age 23, Rey might end up with 20/21. While I'm pro FinnRey and FinnPoe, I'm not sure what will happen

PS: Now I notice: Anakin, Finn, Luke/Leia and apparently Kylo made important choices about their lifes at 23. So Rey with 23 years in IX is a possibility

MattOrgana likes this.
  22. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Who's Rose?

23. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    Yeah, I find the symbology in the ages of the characters in the Skywalker saga very interesting.

At 19, Anakin became a Jedi Knight, and Luke and Leia were responsible for the destruction of the first Death Star. I think will eventually read a book about something Ben Solo did at 19, and if Rey is Skywalker/Solo, she continued the family tradition in TFA.

Also, at the age of 29, Han Solo made a decision that changed his life forever, when he decided to come back and help Luke. Three decades later, his son Ben, at 29, also made a decision that I'm sure has changed his life forever, when he killed his father.

Rose Tico. New character from TLJ.

[​IMG]

Jedi Ben and DARTH_MU like this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They also characterise Leia as Han's real love, and Bria as Han's "youthful affair":

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...olo-trilogy-and.11147179/page-4#post-11201158
    The exact quote:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...rilogy-iii-rebel-dawn.29948157/#post-30011806
    Doesn't say anything about "heartbroken" there. If anything, the idea seems to be that Bria has soured Han on Rebel women, and that he takes that amount of time to realise Leia is who she seems to be.

25. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Those quotes are a real 180 from other quotes of hers I've read, where she's said Bria was the woman Han loved the most. I notice the dates on them are later so it may have been her trying to dampen some of the criticism about her books.

I still don't see any evidence that Han is heartbroken in ANH, or that he dislikes Rebellion women in specific. He's a smuggler, he's distrustful of everyone, including Obi-Wan and Luke. He also never seemed like he hated the Rebellion, he just seemed like he considered it folly (which makes sense as a smuggler). Him and Leia not getting involved is simply a case that in cinematic universe it makes no sense that they would get together off screen. And their argument at the beginning shows that Han had been pursuing Leia for some time before ESB but was frustrated by Leia's lack of response. Also, a couple not getting together for a few years after meeting doesn't necessitate one of them being "heartbroken" - a lot of couples get together after years of being friends without one of them being too heartbroken to get into a relationship.

And like I said before, if Han was so heartbroken over Bria why is he making out with another woman in the cantina moments after finding out about Bria's death?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.