main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Laura Dern (Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CEB, Feb 15, 2016.

1. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    since i am petty and can't yet transcend to the next level of consciousness, i have to go back to discussing holdo's outfit. from the lego, the purple hair stays, the gown does not. so i now agree with those who say that she probably isn't wearing the gown while in command and has an additional outfit. i wonder if this is pre/post time jump with her as well. maybe she will appear in the next trailer and i can form better biased views about her then.

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I must say I really like the design of this character. Also curious to see how she will interact with Leia.

B99 and Deerborne like this.
  3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Mon Mothma wasn't played up as being a military officer, nor did she have a title like "Admiral." At least not in ROTJ. She was in one scene to give a briefing, and then we don't see her again for the rest of the movie (including the final battle). She was more of a political leader. Ackbar and Lando led the actual attack.

4. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    Mon Mothma like thrawn said was the political figure in the rebellion, and was in the political head of the new republic

5. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    To be crystal clear, I DO like her look. I think that it's interesting and different, no problems there. I just hope that she isn't wearing the dress while on military duties. Or, if she is, it's played up as saying something about her character/personality.

6. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    didn't akbar's species generally hang out in their own ship (s) wearing their own style of uniform? isn't leia a general who doesn't wear a uniform? because you hope something doesn't make it so. i think holdo can dress as she chooses whether fans think it's appropriate or not. the Lego changed my mind for now.

also i'd point out that people in command often just sit or stand in one place, like leia. it's not like you need to wear pants and camo because you're physically in combat.

7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    According to the Lego set she does have a proper uniform. I can imagine that she invites Leia* and possibly Poe to dinner when they are rescued from D'Qar and that's when the butting of heads may start.

* - Leia sports two different costumes in the movie from what we know so far.

Mostly Handless and B3 like this.
  8. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Also again, Leia doesn't wear a fancy dress when she's in command situations. Also look at ANY military commander in command, they're always wearing uniforms/combat fatigues. Even if they're just back in the HQ giving orders.

9. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Oh my god I would love a scene where Holdo, Leia, and Poe sit down to dinner.

10. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    ^Agreed.

11. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Despite the placement of characters, story arcs and imagined plot lines being thrown into disarray because of one Lego minifig I'm wondering about the 'butting of heads' between Holdo and the Resistance. I can't really imagine her getting much support from her crew if she was up against General Leia, Admiral Ackbar and the best fricking pilot in the Galaxy (all Legends). I'm still leaning towards Poe and a handful of his pilots making 'first contact' with the New Republic.

12. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    If she just tries to flat-out have Leia killed, that could play into it. Also IDK if Ackbar is long for this world anyway (I can see him, especially with the original VA no longer being with us, being a character who gets killed off here).

So Leia and Poe have to flee perhaps, other's dead or missing, and suddenly Holdo is the "only one left who can do the job."

13. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    https://www.metro.news/laura-dern-on-big-little-lies-social-media-and-carrie-fisher/637204/

14. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    She was the civilian leader of a politico-military alliance. Like the Secretary General of NATO.

15. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I want Holdo to be the Dolores Umbridge of this film. Hopefully of 9, too.

16. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I wonder what end she will meet? Although cliched, I'm guessing that she either ends up sacrificing herself in an act of selfless bravery or she flees only to turn up with the Cavalry in the Final Act.

17. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    The latter, most likely.

18. Eugene3

Eugene3 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2017
  19. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I can't. I just see Ellie Sattler with purple hair. :D

20. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    "you said you've got a T-Rex?"

oncafar likes this.
  21. green_typewriter

green_typewriter Jedi Master star 1

May 5, 2004
    I'm really exited about Laura Dern in this movie- I've been a big fan of her television appearances the last few years! I was also thinking that now that we also have someone as great and dynamic as Laura is, it'd be so cool to also see Catherine Keener also step into our favorite galaxy!

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  22. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Laura Dern has seemed to enjoy weird wigs lately

GregMcP and green_typewriter like this.
  23. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Maybe she's bald.

24. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015

Such a babyface... who would ever expect that she's likely, in theory, the bad guy :>.

Evil takes many forms...

I just have no want or need to have Laura Dern be a good guy in this film. Its too.. down the middle. IMO, She would have a far more interesting a character as a Big Bad.

25. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Oh.. That hair..