main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit I'll be honest...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthKuriboh, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    You had the perfect moment to use "From a certain point of view".

AND YOU DIDN'T USE IT.

AusStig and Sinrebirth like this.
  2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I thought that was what the last sentence was going for.

:confused:

Clearly I should have been more exact. After all, only the Sith deal in absolutes.

Which is proof positive Obi-Wan was never a very good Jedi master. He can't do very good koans.

Edit:

Fixed.

AusStig and Outsourced like this.
  3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    As I said before, Wedge Antilles is a completely different character without Rogue Squadron and the X-wing series, sorry but Phantom Squadron doesn't cut it. I can't help but feel like I have to chose, because TFA did many of the same things that made me not read the post-NJO, and a few more things like not having a plan, Rogue One did a number on the Alliance leadership, and all of the books sound like replacement stories with replacement characters for the EU.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's only been a couple of years but I give props for the existence of Grand Admiral Sloane, Ciena Re, and Bendu.

But yes, Wedge hasn't had a chance to shine yet.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. I do not have a problem with Disney buying Star Wars
    My problem is that Disney is not interested in creating more ambitious stories for his canon

I think Disney is going the easy way and the fandom allows it so thats makes Disney / Lucasfilm not make relevant stories for their EU

And it bothers me that they've erased all Star Wars lore I do not think it was necessary at least they had maintained the novels of Clone Wars and the novels of Darth Plagueis like canon

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    All right then:

Line 1 - what denotes "ambition" for a story and what of the new output have you read?

Line 2- Disagree, it would have been very easy for them to flood the market with crap, they haven't done that - if anything the number of books have gone down.

They are guilty of excessive caution with regard to the ST, which they do need to fix and the post-Ep 8 output will demonstrate whether they have done this.

But as to "fandom allows" - ah, the SW version of Marxist false consciousness i.e. people are buying crap books but don't really know any better, if only someone could enlighten. Here's the problem: People know what they're buying and they're enjoying it so they keep buying it, your difficulty is you can't see why they are doing so.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The excessive caution will pass. It's only been three years since the reboot. By the time Episode VIII ends we'll have a lot more freedom filter down.

Bloodline showed the foundation of the Resistance, and the Battle of Jakku is pretty detailed now. So we're not doing badly - people are just obsessively trying to place when the NJO was destroyed and Ben fell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, that and that there was no plan which is why they've been so cautious.

9. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007
    Bloodline was awful. The way they treated Leia was more than enough to make me want the First Order to win and delete them all.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Awful event certainly, but so artistically done.

AusStig likes this.
  11. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Yeah the event, and treatment of Leia was awful but the book was great. If anything that treatment and the events involving Mon Mothma and rivals in the Aftermath trilogy make it more believable in that a lot of politicians aren't very nice individuals and many will do anything for power.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I really do think that Leia should have gone public with her heritage. Luke isn't a public official. From what we've learned in Bloodline, he's been a private figure ever since the Battle of Endor. But Leia represents the survivors of Alderaan. She wanted to be the most powerful person in the New Republic. If the Senate was going to vote for her and put their trust in her, they deserved to know her true background. While it's true that Vader had no real impact on Leia's upbringing, the secret that he was her biological father holds great power because Vader was so reviled. Leia can't blame anyone for reacting the way they did when she deliberately hid that knowledge from everyone. If the New Republic Senate and all it's citizens no longer trust Leia because she's the daughter of Darth Vader, then that's their choice.

13. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    While not illegal to not tell anyone, I'd say it was unethical.

14. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Well, I suppose she was thinking only Luke, her and Han knew the truth so how would it ever come out? She wasn't to know that a record of it existed that others may gain access to. Also, she herself is a politician and whilst she's one of the heroes she's also looking for political advantage and revealing her heritage gains her nothing.

15. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    It's not honest, though, and the people of Alderaan had a right, at the very least, to know that she was the daughter of the man who was complicit the destruction of their world.

Vialco likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    More like the sperm output of Vader - by every sense of the word as we understand it, other than blood, Bail Organa was Leia's father.

AusStig likes this.
  17. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Point. It still matters, though, and presenting herself as Bail's biological daughter is a lie.

18. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Interesting video about the new Disney canon.

19. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    I thought it was already widely known she was his adopted daughter? She certainly tells Lady Carise that she was adopted in Bloodline.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    In a perfect galaxy, no one would care about Vader being her biological father.

It's not a perfect galaxy.

It makes Leia more human.

21. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    In a perfect galaxy there would never have been a jedi-sith conflict and everyone would be happy and tolerant.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    In a perfect galaxy, Abeloth wouldn't have escaped multiple times.

AusStig likes this.
  23. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    In a perfect galaxy the Rakata would never have had an empire.

SpecForce Trooper and AusStig like this.
  24. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007

I fail to see how it's unethical or even dishonest. It's her business, and nobody else's, really. Like was said before... Anakin was her sperm donor... For everything important, for upbringing, morals, values, and strength, Bail Organa was her father. In the end, that's all that should matter.

25. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I disagree. I never understood the logic of people saying: I didn't choose my father/mother....

However, this is just like politics and religion, we will just agree to disagree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.