main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I do not drink your Kool-Aid that they are ugly ships...but I do believe we should see more ships of that size from other manufacturers. Basically the ships the Rebels have that can go one on one with SDs are the Mon Cal ships and the support corvettes and frigates are other manufacturers. I would like to see Corellian, Lantillan, Sorosuub, etc...capital ships of that scale in the Rebel fleet.

2. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    they need to find new mon cal numbers than MC80, MC80A, MC80B, MC80AA, etc
    really wish LSG would retcon Liberties and the "wingless liberty" into something different from the Home One, don't care which retains the MC80 designation, but they really shouldn't keep using that over and over again, there's literally infinite numerals aside from the number 80

3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    At this point, my head-canon is that MC-80 is the reactor style, with the Home One mounting several, and the MC-80a/b as refined reactor designs, while the MC-30 and -40 are smaller ones. Since Mon Cal cruisers are supposedly all individual works of art (which never matched the movies), categorizing them by reactor instead of hull makes sense.

4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    At this point, my head-canon is that MC-80 is the reactor style, with the Home One mounting several, and the MC-80a/b as refined reactor designs, while the MC-30 and -40 are smaller ones. Since Mon Cal cruisers are supposedly all individual works of art (which never matched the movies), categorizing them by reactor instead of hull makes sense.

5. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Those are nice looking designs. They should go thru all the film models and concept art and start assigning ships to class names that never had a picture done for them.

SpecForce Trooper and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Does anybody know if the explanation for the big blue laser bolt that shoots out of the ventral hanger of the Venator to one-shot a Munificent in the opening scene of ROTS is still canon? That it was a SPHA-T walker bolted on by Anakin Skywalker? I can't recall whether that was just in legends or if Lucasfilm had concocted that story.

Snafu55 and vncredleader like this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was Legends (Incredible Cross Sections: Revenge of the Sith) - but it's the sort of thing they probably wouldn't change. I don't know if the Visual Encyclopaedia references SPHA-Ts in the ROTS movie or not.

8. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    That's a really cool way to get around a continuity hiccup. Make a Venator even cooler somehow!!

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  9. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I just had the thought that you could have a huge conga line of B-17 style door gunners on each side of the Nebulon B spar, sort of like that part of that level in Jedi Academy where you and Katarn board a Dreadnought, I think that would be pretty cool.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I absently want the Starhawk to look like the Scythe now. It was my headcanon to start, but now I actually want it.

Similarly I'd love a Legends aside in FFS confirming that the Turbulent-class was renamed the Pellaeon-class in his honour by Jagged...

Random aside here but Nick never needed another excuse to talk about Starhawks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, I don't really love the idea of designs persisting across centuries. As cool as it is to see Rebel Hammerheads in such a prominent role, it kind of bugs me that they're based off something that existed (in Legends at least) 4,000 years ago.

12. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I don't really like the flying saucer on a stick look of legacy era starships and that one republic cruiser from KOTOR, if the starhawk looks like anything I think they oughta take inspiration from the Valor class from SWTOR but iron out the aesthetic design bugs to make it fit in star wars and not have the fascia look quite so generic

[​IMG]

MercenaryAce and vncredleader like this.
  13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Battlefront II shows us what appears to be a MC80 Liberty-type star cruiser with large hangars underside. More like Home One-style hangars.
    [​IMG]
    It's kinda how I imagined the old EU MC80 Justice, which was sister ship to the Liberty but designed to be an assault ship.

--Adm. Nick

14. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I just realized with how LSG loves turning unused concept art into different versions of extant things or entirely new types of thing in Star Wars (e.g. the Ralph McQuarrie snowtrooper -> Rebels AT-DP Pilot, Ralph McQuarrie A-wing -> Resistance A-wing, Republic Communications Ship -> Malevolence) that they might repurpose this old Nilo Rodis-Jamero art from ESB for the Starhawk. I posted that guy's art a while ago, discussing his Mon Cal cruiser concepts.

[​IMG]

15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    YES! My head canon now imagines an upscaled version of that Neb-B concept art as the Nadiri Mark 1 Starhawk. So say we all!

--Adm. Nick

16. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    It'd need changes and refinements of course to make it more "their own" but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out very similar looking when we finally get a chance to see it. Speaking of which, I'll be keeping an eye out for the On the Front Lines book coming out next week and see if there's any such reveals in there. I'll keep you posted; if there's nothing really new in it I'll tell ya, if there's first visual renditions of text-based starships, I'll buy it and take a few photos on my phone.

17. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Justice had another sister ship called the Remember Alderaan. Those ships were well named.

Star_Desperado and vncredleader like this.
  18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Not a lot of new Fleet Junkie stuff in On the Front Lines, but the book is awesome. Dan's admiration for Ackbar and his skills really shines through in the book. His section on the Battle of Jakku is an expert weaving of all canon sources, making the narrative very smooth and fit well with Lost Stars, Blade Squadron, and Empire's End.

--Adm. Nick

19. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Oh you already have it? No new visual designs then? Any good renders of extant ships at least?

20. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I find it disappointing that they do not use opportunities to give us pictures of ships that we do not have pictures of.

21. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The books new art is focused on some stunning images of ground battles and leaders. I'm sure we'll get an image of the Starhawk battleship at one point, we Fleet Junkies are used to be patient to wait for images of ships. Hell, I'm still waiting patiently for a picture of the EU's Mediator-class battlecruiser! [face_laugh]

--Adm. Nick

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  22. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Well krif...no Starhawk Class Battleship eye-candy in the On The Front Lines book. Looks like our last hope to see it this year will likely be at the end of Episode VIII. Sort of like how the rag-tag Rebel fleet was teased at the end of Episode V. Yes I'm still in the camp that believes there are a few surviving New Galactic Republic military elements (not in the Hosnian star system when the mighty Starkiller Base roared). Sigh. Well if the Starhawk never is depicted - or if it is too organically shaped - I'll settle for a few NR military survivors using old Quasar Fire Class Carriers. Of all captured Imperial ships the QFCCRR would be the design likely still being used into the Episode VII era. Why? It's main offensive / defensive weapon is the starfighter (more in line symbolically with Rebel Alliance / NR military philosophy). It's not as imposing as a SD - or as psychologically tainted in the memories of the general NR population. At the very least if no longer in the hands of the NR Starfleet then perhaps in the hands of various PSDs allied to 'beheaded' NR government. I just want the protagonists of the saga to have some nicely angular and razor sharp capital ships. Such ships can still be designed to be distinct from Imperial / First Order designs. Really is that too much to ask for Disney Studios?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, no new ships. Plus the images of ships featured in each battle's weapons of war section are stock images. So we see familiar angles of MC80's, Neb-B's, CR90's, ISD's, SSD's, etc.

This book wasn't billed to be the next Essential Guide to Warfare. It's meant to be an intimate look at the major battles and examine the leaders, tactics, and impacts of them. Besides, the more we fans buy books like this or the upcoming Rebel Guide, the more the good folks at LFL will see there is a market for this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a "New Essential Guide to Warfare" between now and the end of the ST. ;)

--Adm. Nick

Snafu55 likes this.
  24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Wow, that looks uncannily like the Resistance heavy bomber thing from TLJ. Chalk up another one for reused concept art?

26. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

So it would've been B-wings firing instead of A-wings!

MercenaryAce likes this.
  27. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I NEEEEED IT

[​IMG]

vncredleader likes this.
  28. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
  29. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Note too, how prominent wingless MC80 Liberty-type cruisers were. ;)

--Adm. Nick

30. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Consider some of the things WEG did....they used ISD concept art and made it the Vic...they used X-Wing concept art and made it the Z-95. This is the kind of thing I would like to see more of from the material. Release art books and use some of those concepts to flesh out ships. Art based on the canon battles we have seen.