main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Mega thread: Sequels and spinoff films and the overall saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jun 20, 2017.

1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yes. And I asked him whether he knew in what way TFA differs to Lucas's early drafts (which he said he did and would be writing about later)

There's a LOT of stuff here that Disney won't want in the public domain... But nobody should ever be afraid of honesty and transparency... Let sunlight shine into all those dark and murky corners, etc.

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Seems like we can still see the blog on google cache.
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.c....jwrinzler.com/blog+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
    The first part of the last entry.

Mostly Handless, B3 and Lulu Mars like this.
  3. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

At first I was skeptical that Disney had taken issue with Rinzler's blog. (I thought he was probably just having technical issues.)

After seeing this, however, I'm starting to wonder.

I've been enjoying his blog so far, but I was thinking of posting about how I wasn't sure that I could trust it completely. There were many factors that had me thinking this way.

Rinzler had been let go from Disney and had a book, The Making of TFA, which would have sold well and brought him a lot in royalties, cancelled. He might want to do a hatchet job on Disney for that reason. He also had a much longer relationship with Lucas than Disney, which could bias him.

At the same time, Rinzler is only 54, and he works in a niche market, and most 54-year-olds can't afford going into early retirement. That might put him in a situation where he would want to prove how valuable and loyal to Disney he is. Disney might rehire him, and if they didn't, other studios might be impressed by his loyalty and hire him to do similar work.

Then, there was the timing of it. He was beginning his blog right as the cancellation of The Making of R1 was being announced. Disney has had a spate of bad news -- the split from Lucas, the re-shoots of R1, and the firing of Lord and Miller in very unusual circumstances.

Rinzler's starting a blog at this time telling all the behind-the-scenes drama could become a PR nightmare at Disney, especially on the heals of these stories.

If the blog actually does continue or The Making of TFA book is released after all, I'll unfortunately have even less confidence in the content now than I already did (but I'll surely read it anyway).

My bet is Rinzler is negotiating a new really big severance package with Disney as we speak.

Mostly Handless and Lulu Mars like this.
  4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It's quite possible that this was his plan all along.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Just a point of interest how do you know he was "let go" and didn't resign? When they cancelled his Making Of TFA book he might have resigned on principle. It's also possible they were demanding he make changes to his book that he wasn't comfortable with so they both kind of had a "parting of the ways" by mutual agreement.

There are a range of possibilities for how the relationship ended not just LFL sacking him...

Given he stopped working for LFL on NYE 2015 it seems unlikely that he'd still be negotiating a "severance" package. That would have all been resolved months ago.

6. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I don't really agree with Darth Nerdling's skepticism- I personally think that the fact that GL's story treatments made no part of Episode VII has to have made at least some in Lucasfilm not too happy- but obviously they care for the job and won't speak about it, so now that Rinzler no longer worked there he had the chance to say his thoughts.

Not to mention that he did say that blog was his view and no "objective truth" and that as far as we had seen with his posts, he seemed honest and neither bitter, nor spreading gossip.

7. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I had come up with a number of more scenarios, but my posts tend to get too long. Plus, I didn't want to sound too conspiratorial. [face_worried]

:p

I should've used quotes around "severance package." What I meant is that Disney may choose to go with a carrot or a stick to shut him up. This stick is the threat of legal action, but they may not have any case against him. So, then, they'd have to go with a carrot -- paying him off or giving him something else he wants.

Given how easy it is for a corporation to use the threat of a lawsuit to intimidate an individual person even when there's no merit to it, then Disney will probably go with the stick option.

Yeah, I tend to be a skeptical person.

G-FETT and El Jedi Colombiano like this.
  8. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Rinzler seems like an honest guy to me, and it's admirable that he recognizes his perspective is not "objective truth," but I can understand LFL not wanting to air their dirty laundry at this point. I hope eventually we get some inside story, from some perspective, but I can understand not wanting to expose any wounds to public poking just yet. It's often better to discuss scars after they have healed. :)

Mostly Handless likes this.
  9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I notice JW's blog is Weebly which means their server's would be residing in the US.

Anybody know whether "confidentiality agreements" are enforceable in other countries? For example, if JW moved his blog's servers to another country outside the US (lets say the UK or France) would any previously signed agreement still be enforceable?

I know in the UK the blogger Guido Fawkes gets around many legal enforcement notices by having the server of his blog located in the US for example...

10. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Where does Rinzler live? It would be him that is liable for breaking such an agreement. And even if it were technically legal, it would be unethical, IMO. Don't sign an agreement you can't live with. NDA's exist for exactly this sort of situation.

Mostly Handless and Sarge like this.
  11. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    To Disney I would say, "What are you afraid of"? THE FORCE AWAKENS and ROGUE ONE were as big of a financial success as one could possibly hope. Disney decided to take the easy route and rely only on fan service. It paid off for them. Now they want to keep the negatives of that easy route- decision under the rug? No Disney, you can't have your cake and eat it too. I really hope this info gets out eventually.

DBPirate and G-FETT like this.
  12. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Do you think Underworld is actually in the works?
    Would that be the reason why the fourth season of Rebels will be the last?

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think another show is coming, I don't know if it will be Underworld. Maybe something between ROTJ and TFA.

I also think that given the time frame that Rebels began--five years before ANH--it needs a planned end with sealed fates for its characters. I felt that way about TCW too and didn't really get it, and it does not look like any plan was in the works even if Disney had not bought Star Wars.

Strongbow and Mostly Handless like this.
  14. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    TCW had a planned end, all the way to the finale, with every episode scripted, at least in first draft form, and numerous episodes midway through animation and concept art.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I knew there were several scripts written and some animated but I have not heard that "TCW was planned to end after eight seasons" or some such.

16. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The final arc was meant to be 'The Siege of Mandalore', culminating Ahsoka, Rex and Maul's arcs together.

Here's a list of all the scripted arcs:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...QhmdGYSmkWwQlqZV9Uic9njSQ/edit#gid=1794628024

17. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    With Rebels beginning at 5 BBY, I kinda expected it to run for five seasons, with the Battle of Scarif serving as the grand finale.

EDIT: The latter might still happen, of course.

Strongbow and Mostly Handless like this.
  18. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    No we don't but why let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory?

Martoto77 likes this.
  19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS The Last Jedi SPOILER Pics! Part 71

These are all the SPOILER pics shown on the big screen at D23 this year!

Strongbow likes this.
  20. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  21. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The wait continues for the truth to be revealed then.

Sooner or later it'll come out and when it does the **** storm that will engulf Iger, Kennedy, Abrams, etc. Will be far worse for the fact they've spent years trying to cover it up.

22. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I love the way, the absence of verifiable and objective facts are used to support the Disney conspiracy theory in this thread. :p

23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I wish this thread actually dealt with the sequels and spin-offs and how they connect to and build off Lucas' six films narratively and technologically and their place in the overall Saga, but I guess continuing to focus on Disney and imagining different ways things are a nightmare behind the scenes is more fun somehow.

24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The Last Jedi builds off of existing Star Wars because a Jedi is in it. And Captain Tarpals' grandson Ricky makes an appearance.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  25. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Gungans in TLJ would be a dream come true!