main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wrinkle in Time's trailer finally came out. This was my favorite book ever as a kid and I've had super mixed feelings about it cuz I knew it couldn't come close to matching how I pictured it, especially the aliens. And... they didn't. But they came a lot closer than I expected, especially the aliens (~1:00 in). Also it's interesting they seem to have left out one of the main characters... pretty sure that's intentional...

2. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    ...I need to get better at cosplay sewing...

Also, The Last Jedi Behind The Scenes features quite a Stellaris-esque creature/alien (image in the link). :p

MrDarth0 and Gamiel like this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Interesting that the song stops before the "Some of them want to use you / Some of them want to get used by you / Some of them want to abuse you / Some of them want to be abused" part.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Well obviously yeah the connotations there, but it actually fits the book and how the extradimensional creatures (like IT) do to the Earth kids/dad. Without giving away too much for those who haven't read it. Which you should. If you like trippy scifi.

6. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I haven't read it in years. I remember really enjoying it in grade 6. Maybe I'll track down a copy.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I distinctly remember my mom got it from a yardsale with a bland cover and it looked really ratty, and I refused to read it at first because I thought it was in that Beverly Cleary ("Ramona")-type genre of books about girls and school. Yeah... that was a grave error on my part. Although it was quite an unexpected plot twist after the first few chapters and suddenly it starts to turn very Neil Gaiman-esque.

8. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    My copy had this cover (art by Cliff Nielsen), which kid me found to be the coolest thing ever. I've reread that book at least a half-dozen times.

Man, the entire Time Quintet is so good. I think I'll start rereading A Wind in the Door tonight. Proginoskes ♥

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  10. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    My DC update:
    I've been binge-reading the Morrison run on Batman, and just finally watched BvS. So of course one of my takeaways was that the wtf transition out of nowhere to the 'Knightmare' sequence seemed exactly like reading a Morrison Batman comic (or, well, even his Action Comics New 52 run) , where in the middle of an issue (or the beginning of one), you're suddenly thrust into a few pages (or a whole issue) of wtf until you finally get your grounding. So, well, that at least seemed authentic to my current reading experience ;)

Also, I started reading the main Rebirth Superman title with my daughter. We absolutely LOVE the Kent family dynamic, and my daughter especially loves the banter and rivalry between Jon and Damian. I'm likely going to be picking up the Super Sons book based on her reaction alone. This title is just so fun and enjoyable!

If anyone is looking for a good entrypoint to Superman comics, I highly recommend starting here. Even though we've been reading some of the back stories, this book does a surprisingly good job in summarizing the Important Stuff, and then just gets into the dynamic of the family. I'll be reading the parallel Action Comics title to see more of Superman in the Big Picture Of Things, but the self-named title with its (as far as I've read so far, the first 2 tpbs) close family-centered focus has been wonderful.

11. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    The Wrinkle in Time trailer does look surprisingly good. Though actually when I saw it my immediate reaction was to hope that it will be successful so that they'll make a movie out of the sequel A Wind in the Door, which I always liked better than the original and which still has a strong grip on my imagination after many, many years.

It's quite strange to see Chris Pine as the dad, though. Good, but weird.

12. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Absolutely agreed. I jumped onto DC comics with Rebirth and the Superman family centric stories have been amazing. Super Sons is especially great if you like the Damian-Jon dynamic.

Also the Chinese Super-Man comic New Super-Man has been fantastic as well.

King of Alsakan and Taalcon like this.
  13. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Snoke=Mr. Sinister confirmed
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce, vncredleader and Gamiel like this.
  14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    blackmyron, Kylun and Gamiel like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm right now gamemastering a Legend of the 5 Rings game and I have to say that the game designers did not anticipate my gaming group. We are been rolling around what the game consider Unbelievable more or less once every game (without being that good in the skills rolled), and the funny part is that none of those rolls where of any real importance.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  16. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
  17. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Me like (even if it would have been more interesting if they had used a Scandinavian accent)

19. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Some international movie news from http://nordicdrama.com/while-we-live-wins-at-africa-movie-academy-awards/

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know of any movie/comic/book that can be described as a gothic horror-ish and take place in Japan or a Japan inspired setting?

22. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I saw Valerian today. It's garbage. Like TPM, the visuals and designs are amazing but it has wooden dialogue, a very transparent plot, two main characters that are totally wooden and have no chemistry... really, a laundry list of bad to outweigh the great imagery.

It honestly did remind me a lot of TPM in its setup, and that's even ignoring the very obvious visual and story allusions to the Star Wars films in general throughout it. Along with a Who Framed Roger Rabbit reference out of nowhere.

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It's by Luc Besson. That was always a given.

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I hope this is one of those things I wind up disagreeing on both of you with - having spectacle and quality in sci-fi films being a "choose one" thing is way too common. :(

25. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    In the 28th century, special operatives Valerian (Dane DeHaan) and Laureline work together to maintain order throughout the human territories. Under assignment from the minister of defense, the duo embarks on a mission to Alpha, an ever-expanding metropolis where diverse species gather to share knowledge and culture. When a dark force threatens the peaceful city, Valerian and Laureline must race against time to identify the menace that also jeopardizes the future of the universe.