main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The New York Times speculates McCain's surgery may be more serious than portrayed and he may be out longer than a week. They also have medical experts speculating that the clot might explain McCain's recent bizarre behavior (Comey hearing). Only time will tell on that, but if McCain is out longer than two weeks, is that good or bad for McConnell?

He'll never get Paul to back the bill and Collins seems pretty well dug in unless he allows hearings. So, it's not looking likely that the bill passes in August, even with the recess being cancelled. My concern is what Mitch might do with the extra time. He could shore up the rest of the GOP so that when McCain returns, the bill passes easily. Enough amendments like Cruz's might do that. Or he could hold a hearing or two and see if that satisfies Collins- I certainly hope it doesn't. While the extra time may give the opposition time to grow, it also gives Mitch more time to plan- which is never a good thing.

2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    it's always tomorrow in Australia tho .

3. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Appleseed: Your appraisal may be closer to the truth than most of ours, but I'd still recommend you nuzzle a puppy or something. And give him lots of kisses.

[​IMG]

Rew, Vaderize03, Juliet316 and 4 others like this.
  4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/six-months-in-trump-is-historically-unpopular/

This Thursday, "Trump will conclude his first six months in office as the most unpopular president, at that point in his first term, since modern polling began."

Net approval at 6 months

Truman: +84
    Johnson: +65
    Kennedy: +58
    Eisenhower: +54
    GHW Bush: +49
    Nixon: +47
    Carter: +40
    Reagan: +28
    GW Bush: +19
    Obama: +19
    Clinton: 0
    Ford: -6
    Trump: -16

He is gunning for most unpopular president of all time against the likes of

Richard Nixon (Watergate!)
    Warren Harding (Teapot Dome Scandal!, Railroad strike!)
    Millard Filmore (Fugitive Slave Act!)

5. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    This just in. It's been revealed in this article that John McCain has had change of heart after his recent health crisis for which he has had the best treatment in the world at the Mayo Clinic paid for by his government provided health insurance. He now realizes that taking away health coverage from the most economically insecure Americans is fundamentally wrong and the government does have a role in healthcare.

Naw, just kidding. He'll vote for it.

unicorn, Yodaminch and Rylo Ken like this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    In my social circle, "stans" are fans who go too far in their devotion; Ex: "Batstans." The term refers to the song from Eminem with the same name.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Ford is only on that list because of the pardon he gave Nixon. Take that away and he almost certainly would have been far higher.

Kiki-Gonn, Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  8. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000

It's been used here in Carl Barks translations since the 1950s

[​IMG]

Last year, the word was chosen by Donald Duck magazine readers as the funniest word in the magazine.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Wonder how many people clicked on the link without checking it first?[face_thinking]

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  10. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
  11. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    BOOM!

Sorry Mitchie, you just haven't screwed people hard enough with the current legislation. You'll need to add barbs and hooks to the stinger before the hard right will bite.

Darth Nerdling and Juliet316 like this.
  12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Why isn't there a provision for disemboweling drug addicts in public squares? This bill sucks!

13. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    GOP really should have taking Boehner's advice when it comes to the ACA. It was always going to be hard politically to repeal it after Obama was reelected in 2012.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    We should not neglect that fact that, with the exception of Collins, these defections are because the bill does not go far enough in eliminating Obamacare provisions. It's not like they actually like those parts of Obamacare. And there lies the danger. The next bill could be worse.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The last bill failed because it wasn't terrible enough, so...yeah.

Vaderize03, Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  16. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Maybe.

But I am starting to think the R's who deflected tonight are pushing the bill to go to the right as cover.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    When I'm stuck with a day that's gray and lonely, I just stick out my chin and grin and say, "the sun'll come out tomorrow". So ya gotta hang on til tomorrow, come what may.

If you take my advice for what it's worth, you could be happy here on Earth.

Vaderize03, V-2, starfish and 3 others like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Clear out the cobwebs and the sorrow til there's none.

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    LONG LIVE BARACK OBAMA

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

The man who deferred the 2008 collapse and ensured a recession will become a depression?

21. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    And Trump is pushing for repeal with replace later. I fear this could actually happen.

22. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    McConnell now pushing for the 2015 clean repeal that Obama vetod.

Never say never, but it seems like Mitch is punting.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It's impossible. Too many were balking at that option hte first time around. It would be an unmitigated political disaster. Not even Donald Trump would do that. Barack Obama has won.

24. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I wonder if the uncertainty from doing that-repeal with a two year delay-could destabilize insurance markets even further and really lead to serious economic trouble.

25. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Yeah, I agree. Mike Lee and Jerry Moran, the two defectors, aren't going up for reelection until 2022. Only 14 Republican Senators are on record supporting the bill. Stepping in to kill this unpopular bill won't haunt Lee and Moran, especially b/c they're saying it's not conservative enough. I think that they're simply the ones who are willing to step forward and do what many other R's would want to do but are afraid of doing because they'd pay a bigger political price.

I don't want to jinx it, but I have a good feeling about this...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.