main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit I'll be honest...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthKuriboh, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Far be it me to side with others against Leia but allow me to explain. NO ONE KNOWS THIS because Leia didn't tell them that she had no relationship with Darth Vader. All they know is it turns out she's been hiding she's the daughter of Rommel the entire time and kept that a secret. It says that she's willing to hide a large part of her past and who knows what else she's hiding. Is she actually a Rebel or was she a Lumiya-style Sleeper agent the entire time? Is she actually Leia? Was Leia replaced with a surgically altered Imperial agent? Was Darth Vader secretly aligned with Bail Organa and entrusted her to him while he rose in the Imperial Court? Is Luke Skywalker actually a Sith Lord who seized his father's title? Is Leia?

These are all ridiculous but so is the actual truth.

Which no one knew.

JediBatman likes this.
  2. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Leia is a morally good person, no doubt, but "hey my dad killed your planet" is a matter of public interest.

3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    So in canon it seems Leia kept her true backstory a secret.

I'm not sure if that was a good thing. Anakin Solo was terrified of his grandfather yet he wasn't kept in the dark and so overcame the legacy of his name.

Also it in Legends it seems that Vader as the father of the sky-solo clan seems to be either public knowledge or close to it. So much that galactic historians are aware of it by the time after FOTJ.

SpecForce Trooper and AusStig like this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's implied to be the primary reason Kylo Ren converted to the Dark Side so, yes, it's a huge mistake.

SpecForce Trooper and JediBatman like this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Note to self: check this thread Tuesday evening

ETA: oh boo, it's out already

6. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    People need to understand that Joe Average Galactic Citizen is going to have a different perspective from us the viewing audience. We've seen Leia do the things she's famous for, in her moments of triumph and sorrow, and (in the case of the books) peered into her thoughts. We know Leia is a good person with the best of intentions, random galactic citizens only know about events in the galaxy through the filter of news and propaganda.

This is a situation where there's no "right" answer. On the one hand, it is her personal business, she shouldn't be blamed for who she's related to, she can't control that. It it makes sense that she'd want to avoid the media circus and baseless accusations that she's tainted by an evil seed. But on the other hand, it is understandable for the average citizen to wonder what else she's hiding, and if the person they thought they knew all these years was really who she seemed. And it negatively effects the Populist reputation, putting everything she's worked towards at risk.

It's a real "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Tell the galaxy right away? Vader is still a huge bogeyman in people's eyes, it would open the young New Republic to baseless accusations when it really needs stability and people's trust. Tell the galaxy years later, when Vader has long since turned to ash? "What other secrets have you been hiding!?!?!"

7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    In Legends I imagine knowledge of Luke and Leia's true parentage didn't become public knowledge(their associates and friends knew) until decades after Vader's death.

By say the post crucible era the denizens of the galaxy probably viewed Leia through her own accomplishments and her father was a mere fact a curious one but the significance of which wouldn't be understood by all but by Leia herself, her family, friends and allies and probably Vor'en Naal.

SpecForce Trooper and JediBatman like this.
  8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Opposite as it was public knowledge by the Black Fleet Crisis.

AusStig and JediBatman like this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Which was just over a decade after Vader's death.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That negativity makes me Kuri sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I was rooting for the Imperials in Rogue One so I suppose not everyone is a fan/sympathetic to canon's RA/NR

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016

Was it? Maybe I'm not sure I've not read that in awhile.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Before The Storm:

"That is what you've done! " Senator Peramis said angrily. "The Fifth Fleet is a weapon of conquest and tyranny, nothing less and nothing more. And once a weapon is forged, it tantalizes, and tempts, and transfixes, until someone finds a reason to use it. You've given the son of Darth Vader a glittering temptation to follow his father's path. You've given the daughter of Darth Vader a gift-wrapped invitation to secure her power by force of arms."

Luke tells his apprentices that he's the son of Vader in I, Jedi.

And I think before that, it was fairly well known that Luke and Leia, were siblings.

14. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    In Legend did Leia have to run for office? Mon Mothma was automatically head of state, and then Leia was automatically the head of state after Mon Mothma died of cancer, right?

It was like George Washington situation for the both of them.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Senate had to ratify Mon Mothma's decision to appoint Leia as her replacement, according to The New Rebellion.

And Mon Mothma's position as leader of the Rebellion was subject to the possibility of voting a replacement, every two years - they didn't - but they were given the opportunity to.

16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016

Ah well then it seems Leia wasn't so concerned about the bad PR effects of being Vader's daughter.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In Marvel Star Wars comics, Luke and Leia do put some effort into keeping their heritage secret for a while. However we can safely say that at some point after I, Jedi, they'd stopped.

Given that the Noghri consistently refer to her as the daughter of Vader, this may have become common knowledge between The Last Command and Dark Empire.

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Probably much to Leia's chagrin.

19. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Well. It's not gone. It's still there. You can read it all you like. But the "levels of canon" stuff that LFL did before was just overwhelmingly silly. But thank goodness not every EU book was actuqlly conon. Trioculus anyone? I never even liked the Thrawn trilogy, so the reset has meant a decided improvement in Star Wars novels from my point of view.

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Actually I much appreciated the tier system.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    C-Canon - just as much as, say, The Thrawn Trilogy. It just didn't get referenced much. But toward the end of the Legends era, it got referenced a bit more than before - online on the Star Wars.com site, and in books like The Essential Guide to Warfare.

22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I just miss the old canon so much. It breaks my heart to see it fade and its glories go into the dust unappreciated.

SpecForce Trooper and DARTH_MU like this.
  23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Christ on a bike people. No one killed your dog or slapped your kids. A bunch of stories you already read were moved from not existing to existing in a completely equal capacity, and you're now given a new series of books, movies, and comics. I get that you might not like the new stuff. I understand you were very invested in the old stuff. But some of the melodrama here is ridiculous.

"It breaks my heart to see it fade and its glories go into the dust unappreciated."

"It's like segregation. A segregation badge to be worn on your coat, almost."

Seriously.

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah, well, I feel the same way about Wing Commander.

We can both deal.

:)

25. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Yeah. Like, the EU fun, but it's also a tie-in series to a bunch of movies from the 70s. Chill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.