main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
  2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Wow. I hope the firefighters get it under control.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Well. This is now really unfortunate. Now the entire town where I used to live has been given the evacuation order. Hopefully things get better before it reaches here. I really don't want to evacuate with two cats.

4. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    That sounds terrible Briannakin I hope they get the fire under control soon.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Bri - Ugh, that sucks about another flat. :( I'm going to make the assumption that the tires are crazy expensive so getting new ones to see if they were just defective isn't a feasible plan? And I really hope that you don't have to evacuate!

EP- I'm glad you are starting to feel better! I hope things continue to go that direction!

J_L - I'm glad they got rid of the atropine! I can't imagine how annoying it would be to have your eyes dilated constantly like that. I hate it for the amount of time it takes to wear off when you go to the optometrist!

I'm in significant introvert overload. We went to my parents house two weeks ago where we had to share one bathroom with 12 people, and a bedroom with my brother for almost a week. We got back home and just a few days later my friend from high school came to stay with us for a week. He left yesterday and then I had to work today, which involves talking to people for 13 hours. I may not get out of bed tomorrow, or maybe I'll make a fort and hide in it.

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah. Technically I could get a pair of bike tires (which are 80% cheaper) and just see if the tires are indeed just defective, but the sizing is confusing and I'm just fed up. But I'm going to go in on Monday to my normal wheelchair shop (not the place that sold me these tires and gave me sass after they kept going flat) and cry (not really, but maybe) and see if they have any ideas before I resort back to solid tires.

But this whole, situation has gotten me out of going to Bridezilla's husband's stupid concert tomorrow, so that's a plus!

BLANKET FORT AND COLOURING BOOKS!!! Seriously, the only way I survived some classes of my undergrad :p But, yeah, that sounds like a nightmare! I thought I had it bad when I stay at my mom's.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Like all Greek kids, I grew up reading a novel called Loxandra. Loxandra is the narrator's larger-than-life grandmother, an old lady in black who solves all the problems, feeds everyone and more generally has very unorthodox opinions about everything. There's this moment in the book where she becomes very ill and everyone thinks she's about to die -- and then, someone goes to check on her in the middle of the night and she's not in her bedroom. So they go looking and looking and worrying, until they find her in the kitchen. She felt better, so she needed to cook and eat -- a lot.

My grandmother just pulled this on us. She was feeling dizzy since Friday, she didn't talk, she wouldn't get up (she's also 98 years old, so...) I set up a camp bed in her room and I was sleeping there in case she needed anything. And last night at around 3:30 am, I woke up to go to the loo, and no grandmother. She was in the kitchen cooking artichokes with fava beans and she was acting as if there were nothing strange about it.

Now it's 9 am and I'm exhausted, but she woke up and she's in great shape.

Oh well. At least I know what's for lunch today.

8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    My teenage son just woke up and looked at the clock. He then asked me, "Is that time AM or PM?" :rolleyes: That kid needs to get on a normal schedule.

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    They just announced the new Doctor taking over for Capaldi and I'm pretty stoked! (as much as I will miss Capaldi)

I like Whittaker. She's excellent in Broadchurch (which has like every other New Who alumni). Plus she's a woman. YAAAAASSSS! DIVERSITY

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks for the note about the new doctor Briannakin and I hope rain comes from above, saving the city you live in. We had too much rain here in Germany recently.

I also hope Kurisan will be okay and Ewok Poet, too. @};-

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I love that she, Rory, the 10th doctor and Patient Zero were all on Broadchurch. I love her as an actress.

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    There are no fire threats near here anymore, so we are fine, but all that can change with one lighting storm.

So, I had an interesting evening. My housemates informed me that he got a new job down by the coast. He'll be starting mid-August and she's going to follow him down at the end of August. I'll be sad to see them go - we had some great times together - he and I have been friends since high school and it was fun to revisit some of our shenanigans (however, this will also mean the damn broken car in the driveway will be gone!). But, not even a half hour later, I got new housemates! My current housemates mentioned that some other friends who just returned from a year abroad still hadn't found a permanent place to live while they are both doing their Masters (and they told me they had kinda hinted to them that they were leaving and that I'd probably be looking for people to move in). So I contacted them to see if they wanted the place and they were so excited. I feel so blessed to have friends willing to live upstairs from me and help me out. And they are happy not to be homeless once their current housesitting gig is over in a month!

It's actually kinda funny. She and I have also been friends since high school (though we went to different schools) and we were actually supposed to be roommates four years ago when the infamous bridezilla was housesitting for her grandparents (people who have been around for awhile will remember the housesitting fiasco that I got out of before things got ugly). She and I survived the bridezilla disaster together (she actually was the one to walk with me down the aside and we celebrated the end of our hell under our breaths while doing so), so we are pretty excited. Plus her boyfriend is really great.

So, yeah, in a month I'll be living with two other people also starting their master's degrees. WHAT COULD GO WRONG? :p

EDIT

I like her too. I can't wait to see what she does.

There's actually a few other "who-verse" actors in Broadchurch - Eve Myles from Torchwood, David Bradley who played William Hartnel and who is returning as the first Doctor and I want to say Olivia Colman also had a small part in an episode of Who. Then theres Chibnall who's taking over from Moffat.

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I forgot about Eve and I associate David Bradley with Harry Potter and Game of Thrones.

Jedi Knight Fett and AzureAngel2 like this.
  14. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    That must be a relief Bri that you don't have to evacuate and that you're safe. i personally can't imagine what it might be like to have to be ready to leave at a moment's notice. It's one reason I am glad that i live where I live: the only thing you have to worry about is lots snow and maybe some minor flooding during the hurricane season. I told my man that if we move to his old home State I will heavily consider sleeping in the storm cellar during Tornado Season because I can sleep soundly.

15. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm super excited for the new Doctor! :D I made the mistake of reading comments on the Official Doctor Who Facebook and spent quite a while enraged at the human race. :p

Chyntuck likes this.
  16. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    yeah. The normal cycle for a new Doctor has gone into stupid territory with some people.

Chyntuck, Briannakin and mavjade like this.
  17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, I made the mistake of looking at the YouTube comments (I knew it was going to be bad, but it was kinda like a trainwreck, you just gotta look). I hate humans sometimes.

Chyntuck likes this.
  18. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    No matter who is the actor/actress

The Doctor/Missy(The Master) is still OTP.

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Doctor/Romana for me. :D

20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    For me it's Doctor/River. Had they not given River a perfect send off, I'd love to see 13/River, but since it was so great I don't want them to mess it up. Even with all the wibbly wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.

But Doctor/Jack comes a very close second to me. I'll never stop hoping for Jack to take another trip on the TARDIS.
    And for them to go and rescue Ianto from his fate because I'm still mad about that. ;)

Chyntuck, Nehru_Amidala and Anedon like this.
  21. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    Well I remeber the uproar when Matt Smith was casted as the doctor for being too young and after him Peter Capaldi for being too old. It seems whoever is cast is the new doctor people are upset about it. So I guess as with Smith and Capaldi once the first episodes come out Whittaker will win over the fanbase. I´m defenetly excited for it.

mavjade I love Jack Harkness he is my favourite character in the Whoverse, to the point that I like Torchwood a little more than the main series.
    As for romance in my opnion the Tardis is the One true love of the doctor.

Chyntuck likes this.
  22. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Yeah. No matter who was cast, there was gonna be some uproar. That was as inevitable as the tides. I've been a fin since the mid-80's. Literally, as I saw my first complete serial in 1985. The Chase, from William Hartnell. Unfortunately, the level of vitriol directed at Jodie Whittaker has been far beyond expected and downright misogynistic in many a case.

Chyntuck likes this.
  23. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Who was she in Broadchurch? I only watched because of 10!

24. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    So my placement test is complete. I DON'T HAVE TO TAKE ANY REMEDIAL CLASSES! [face_dancing] On the math sections, I actually tested all the way into Calculus I, bypassing College Algebra and Pre-Calculus in addition to the remedial courses. On writing, the computer scored my essay as an 8 on an 8-point scale. I don't understand how a computer can grade an essay, but I'm not arguing with a perfect score. :p I still have to take the basic English I course, but that's not something you can bypass. Everyone has to take English I.

Next step is orientation on Friday morning, where I'll be able to speak with an advisor about my financial aid and see if I can actually afford college. I've received an award of $5,070 for the school year in federal grants, which I know will be more than enough to cover my tuition. The question is whether the excess is enough to cover my books. I really, really want to do this without loans or large out-of-pocket expenses, so I don't know if I'll actually register for classes if it turns out that it will cost substantially more than my grants.

25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    That's great news, jcgoble3! You were worried about the writing, but sounds like you did okay. And way to go on the maths! That was always so hard for me...

jcgoble3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.