main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sequel Trilogy or NJO story, which was the better choice?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by QuiWanKenJin, Jul 17, 2017.

1. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    I wanted to see what people will do if this happens. It's pretty obvious at this point that the Star Wars Sequel trilogy will not feature Luke Skywalker's New Jedi Order as a player in a new galactic upheaval (such as a new threat, like say.....an alien invasion) since that isn't the direction that Disney decided to go in. But when everything is said and done and this trilogy wraps, what will you do if that turns out to be a mistake? If one day, after 2019 you start to read your old collection of NJO novels, Vector Prime to The Unifying Force, will it feel like it was a fair trade off, or will you feel that this was the more epic, story direction? Will this affect your view of Star Wars or will it just affect your view of Star Wars in Disney hands? Would you choose to ignore the sequel trilogy or would you have some other solution?

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Sequel Trilogy.

The NJO was too disjointed and too shaped by inferior authors and storytellers who were hired mostly because their rates were low.

DurararaFTW and TheRedBlade like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    NJO, although I think Ender is right about it being disjointed, and it suffered from pet-character-syndrome in a few places. But it did better justice to Han and Leia and their children. It's too early to tell if it did better justice to Luke.

That said though...the NJO does suffer from a lack of Finn and Rey.

AusStig likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    How can you tell if justice was done, and how do you explain the revolving door hacks changing Jacen's personality like most people change their underwear?

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  5. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    He's talking about NJO, not LOTF/FOTJ

NJO vs Sequel Trilogy

I say NJO. Sequel trilogy is like dropped everyone straight into Edge of Victory Conquest.

At least NJO had a story planned out. Sequel Trilogy is too depressing without any good setup. Things in NJO weren't destroyed right off the bat. There were 5 books or more before Yavin 4 got totalled.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Han and Leia had Jaina and Anakin in the NJO, whereas in the ST, they only had post-NJO Jacen.

And to your second question, I don't, because he was my least favorite Solo child.

I'm actually good with the New Republic getting destroyed. It's not historically unprecedented at all for fledging democracies that just evolved from totalitarian dictatorships to have no idea how to govern themselves and therefore be vulnerable to internal threats.

I agree about the lack of setup; I assume that's coming with either books or a TV series or both.

7. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Sequel Trilogy. I was never really a fan of the NJO. It just felt like this huge unwieldy mess, with a galactic threat invented literally out of thin air that I find to be the pinnacle of the kind of Legends threat creep that happened a lot.

Senpezeco, BigAl6ft6 and Ender Sai like this.
  8. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Junior Jedi Knights was my sequel trilogy...

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I take that back, the Darth Bane Trilogy was my sequel trilogy.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

AusStig and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Unless the NJO can bring in as many feels as this melody can. I vote the ST.

By the way don't we already have one thread going right now where EU fans can vent about the fact that the ST even exists?

TheRedBlade, Ender Sai and Stymi like this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    NJO all the way so much better than a rebooted OT. Much more ambitious, epic, and utterly wonderful and beautiful.

adalmentia, xezene, Abadacus and 2 others like this.
  12. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Can never have enough of those.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A reasonable thread where we can compare and contrast the positives and negatives of the ST and NJO series' civilly once they are completed would make for some good discussion imo.
    NJO series for me. An actual next generation of the Skywalker/Solo family, an engaging enemy that is not the Empire or some Imperial/Dark Side warlord, an actual next generation of Jedi, the Solo kids had brushes with the Dark but didn't fall completely. The Fall of Coruscant and the aftermath meant something to me in SBS and Traitor, the galaxy was united at the end of TUF. That moment when Han and Leia returned to Mon Cal was amazing imo, planets not destroyed by a planet shaped weapon with a super laser, Chewie's death and Han's grief afterwards hit me hard.
    The Disney ST has too many flaws in its premise imo.
    Luke hiding (the reason will make or break the ST imo) after the Jedi Order was destroyed, Han Solo went back to smuggling, Han losing the Falcon for years, Leia on her own, the Vader reveal being such a blow, Leia not training in the Force, No OT Big 3 reunion on screen, another Skywalker falling to the Dark Side, the destruction of Hosnian Prime fell flat and another Death Star weapon. Han's death saddened me but not as much as Chewie's.

Really wish that we got a soundtrack to the Old EU. Though filling in themes from the movies to the NJO series is quite fun.

14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, not to put too fine of a point on it.

I hate the NJO.

I hate the NJO incredibly.
    I think the Yuuzhan Vong are some of the STUPIDEST villains in Star Wars. Waru is a 100 times better and not as embarrassing.
    It warped Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin's personalities
    It made the Empire look like a minor threat and even made it look like they were a necessary evil
    It made the heroes inactive and let the villains stomp all over the universe with plot fiat after plot fiat
    It hated democracy
    It used child soldiers
    It was violent and nihilistic
    It made no damn sense since the Force is GOD/THE TAO so you CAN'T have a race immune to it.

WHY IN THE WORLD would I want it adapted?

Dialing down the hyperbole, the NJO remains one of the most controversial elements of the Star Wars EU because it's a work which attempted to go "darker and edgier" with the consequences being that it was a war at least 50,000 times WORSE than the Galactic Civil War (assuming Alderaan was the worst thing to happen during it and the Yuuzhan Vong destroyed that many times worlds at the end). For people who enjoyed Star Wars as light-hearted adventure fair, having stories about torture and brainwashing and teenagers dying horribly isn't something I really would want adapted to the Big Screen for 4 years old to watch.

15. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    I agree with all of your points. Alas, when the NJO books are contrasted with TFA, the NJO still wins.

Edit: They should have just adapted Heir to the Empire. Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command.

Sith Iratus and SilentGuy66 like this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    This is what Del Ray basically seemed to want from the NJO.

[​IMG]

17. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    In my mind this is what happened.

Hey guys we will sell gazillion books for fifty dollars each! The Solo kids will sell. Hey this Pho is delicious. What is this restaurant called again?
    Yunnan Pho.
    Yuuzhan Vong, I like the sound of that. That's our villains.

Guys the feed back is not good. People feels like Jaina is Mary Sue. Our Mara Jade is Out of Character, and Luke is not active enough. Let's motivate him to do something. I know we'll kill one of his nephews.

Toss a coin guys.

K

Okay, now all those pesky kids are out. Roll adults action.
    19 books. What a rush!

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    But yes, I love Rey.

I think Finn needed an opportunity to be more than the goofball and Poe was obviously meant to die.

Still, TFA way more than the NJO.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    NJO's Vector Prime is where I dropped almost all Star Wars books after collecting them for almost a decade so I'm gonna go with the ST cuz it hasn't caused me to rage quit like the NJO did.

DoubleSith likes this.
  20. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016

The Galactic civil war in Legends lasted something like 20 years and in IU probably had higher casualties overall than the Vong war.

The reason why the Vong were immune was explained very well and I had no issue with it.

It didn't use child soldiers.

The heroes did act but were divided and hamstrung-sometimes the good guys don't always get the drop.

The bad guys had good reasons for their success.

A star wars youtube channel I much admire had a guy who claimed to have read the NJO but basically stated the Vong were generic alien villains a la Independence Day. He was wrong as the Vong were very detailed and given many unique characters.

All in all the NJO is far superior to what is basically a rebooted OT whose success is based on young pretty faces and the current nostalgia sweeping society-for SW fans in particular the magic of the OT.

21. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

22. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    The Vong are the absolute epitomy to the issue Legends had with the need to make ever increasingly dangerous superweapons and galactic threats.

Death Star
    Like the Death Star but even BETTER.
    Ok, so it's the Death Star, but it can shoot things from ANYWHERE.
    Ok, so it's not a Death Star, but it can tear apart a planet to make more STUFF
    It's the Death Star, but just the laser bit.
    Ok, so it's like the Death Star and an X-Wing had a baby, is indestructible, and is about 80 times more destructive.

And finally:

An alien species so powerful that not even the force can affect them, and we're gonna retcon pretty much every previous superweapon so they were all going to be used on them, because that's how amazingly powerful they are.

Like, seriously. There were so many superweapons and various galactic threats it was ridiculous. I didn't even talk about the BlackFleet crisis, or the stuff with the nest.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    To be fair, Black Fleet Crisis wasn't about superweapons. Just a lost fleet.

24. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    NJO without question.

Despite the many problems that series had, some listed above, it at least was trying something new and being an actual sequel to the story rather than be just a reboot which is what the ST is. So yeah it's the NJO

25. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Easily NJO. It's not even a contest for me. ST has given us practically nothing at this stage.

xezene and AusStig like this.