main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story Star Trek Medical mayhem, prompt challenge

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by earlybird-obi-wan, Jan 9, 2016.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    and more of this in the next one

Trial and error

Nick had a twinkle in his eyes when he saw the trainees finally landing their boats on the beach. They had been at it all morning, going through the surf and coming back, mostly dumped from the boat, with only two or three hanging on to the ropes. Now after some words from the instructors – Nick and Kyle included – they were learning through trial and error.

“Sirs, lunch-time! But first…”

The instructor let the rest unsaid when he saw the trainees lifting their boats and marching of towards the building. Boat-lifting had been a lesson of trial and error two days ago and now they had mastered it.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Trial and Error - well, that certainly covers that prompt.

Lucky that hernias are dealt with so easily in the Twenty Whatever century.

3. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    and some nice instructors learning them how to keep their bodies in shape and injury-free

Squabble
    “That Scotty and Spock could squabble over a misalignment of the dilithium crystals is hilarious,” Kyle laughed when he started the old recording.

“They did,” Nick nodded his head vigorous “and if the captain hadn’t come up with an emergency they could have going over the discussion again from the beginning with even more banging and tapping on desks and pipes and Jeffries-tubes. It’s about the same we observed when those two trainees – with a degree in engineering and now absent after DOR – had an argument with their boat-crews.”

“Those two,” Kyle grumbled. “They pushed me almost to the limit and senior instructor Davies was the one to have the entire group doing an extra hour of log-PT, ending that discussion immediately. One thing,” he paused briefly stroking his hair “I hope those two will continue what they were doing before coming here. That way they will end up as engineers on one of the ships. Yes,” and with that he began to grin mischievous “I will advise Davies to give them a recommendation note for the Enterprise.”

“And Spock or Scotty will have a supporter of their theory,” Nick began to laugh.

AzureAngel2 and Sith-I-5 like this.
  4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh][face_laugh] Because Spock and Scotty would - the geeks! :p

This was another fun response to the prompt. =D=

5. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    They would indeed as shown in the next one

Sequence

“Laddy, you first have to put the dilithium crystal in the matrix. After that you align it with the others present and the final part is the fine-tuning.”
    “But Mr. Scott I told you. It is logical to search first…”

“Now yer sounding again like that green blooded hobgoblin with his elfin ears.”

“Don’t insult my teacher. Yes, he has those nice elfin ears and I doubt you have ever read the marvelous books of Tolkien where the elves play an important part.”

“Of course I did. Tolkien was a great Scott and…”

“Scott. No Mr Scott and…”

“I told you it would be fun,” Kyle halted the recording. “Look at that. Davies managed to get them to the Enterprise. Our DOR is a staunch supporter of Mr. Spock.”

“And Tolkien hmmm,” Nick began to rummage in a cabinet. “We can watch this.”

“The extended version?”

“Yes, we have two days to spend before the ladies are back from their shopping.”

“Getting shoes, skirts, blouses, coats and underwear,” Kyle made himself comfortable on the couch.

“Yeah that will be the sequence but I think they will begin with the underwear,” Nick put the first disk in the player.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Turn back

A pair of swimmers was in the bay and had passed the buoy.

“Turn back,” Nick was shouting. And getting no response – they must have failed to notice the buoy – he steered the boat towards the two.

A wave – produced by the boat – had one of them looking up.

“Turn back or,” Nick had a concerned look on his face “get in the boat. You have passed the test.”

“Thanks instructor Roberts,” one of the trainees whispered after sitting down on the bench.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Sequence and Turn Back were both good stories; I particularly like how you managed to fit the second prompt into a compact little package.

Nice touch with Scotty saying Tolkein was a Scot. I always only remembered Chekov saying people were Russian, but Scotty did that stuff too, didn't he?

8. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Scotty sure did

And here is again a short moment with

Masterpiece
    “When I was serving on the Enterprise we had movie-nights in sickbay,” Nick had a smile on his face when he had the old faded box with disks in his hands “McCoy loved watching this old movie with his team.” He gave it to Kyle.

Kyle rummaged in the box. “This one was the masterpiece, beginning the revolution in science fiction movies.”

“A new hope,” Nick grinned when Kyle put the disk in the player. “But don’t you think that we have to watch parts 1, 2 and 3 first?”

“We have only time for one,” Kyle remarked. “Tomorrow starts hell-week for the trainees and that’s for us an early wake-up call.”

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Eh, you're better of starting off with IV anyway, but that's a huge debate and highly subjective to preference. :p

As always, I love the cross-fandom blending, though! This was another excellent response - masterpiece, indeed! [face_love]

10. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Nice reading about ANH from a future perspective. Their discs seem to have stood up to the test of time better than some of mine.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL Liked Vigilant, Flex, Squabble, and Sequence. =D= Fun banter between friends.

12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    And here is the next one
    They did
    And more fun here

Confession
    “You still like it on the Enterprise?” Kyle – seated with Nick before a vid-conference-station – asked McCoy who was obviously pissed of.

“Kriffing admirals,” McCoy huffed. “They are sending us this and that way with missions ending with guys being holed and sent to my care.”

“In short Sith scum,” Kyle remarked.

“Sith lords yes,” McCoy got a twinkle in his eyes. “I don’t like that part of being on the Enterprise at all but…” He indicated the occupied medbed. “I have to make a confession...”

“I know,” Nick recognised immediately who was there – cared for by a lovely lady – and continued with a smile on his face. “You are the only one who can keep him in that bed.”

“Sort of but I have to have her glued to that bed to assist me,” McCoy sighed. “I am the only expert in his unique physiology. Therefore I have to stay.”

“Ask Jim or Audrey to stand up to those Sith lords,” Kyle began to smile.

“Or let them do their escape-from-sickbay trick and argue with Jim and Audrey,” Nick grinned. “And join them when they contact those Palpatine wannabees. Five should do the trick.”

“Two admirals,” McCoy began to grin. “Always two there are. Yes that should work.”

“And get some more inspiration from the movies,” Nick said. “We have been watching ‘a new hope’ before our hell-week started.”

“A new hope,” McCoy smiled. “I will have a movie-marathon before I allow Nyota to begin her escape-from-sickbay trick.”

Kyle saw the Starfleet logo replacing McCoy. “Watching ‘a new hope’ sure helped us in giving him some advice.”

“Time for a movie-marathon here as well?” Nick stood up.

“Yes,” Kyle followed. “With the trainees recuperating from hell-week, we can.”

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Lovely. Snarky McCoy... and Jim, the Han Solo wannabe :* :* :* !!!!!!! My heart sings in Correllian and that is a fact. [face_love]

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    and someone hums the Imperial march in the next part

Salt in the wound

‘Luke trust me.’

“Noise in space from lasers hmmm.”

“Shh Kyle.”

‘His computer’s off. Luke you switched off your targeting computer. What’s wrong?’

“What shh?”

Beep pi beep pi

“That’s irritating,” Kyle Crisson put the player on hold when he saw Nick rushing away as fast as he could with his limp.

Beep beep pi

With one look at his pager Kyle pushed the master off-switch and ran after Nick and caught him when he was entering his SUV. “What’s up?”

“We have to care for injured trainees,” Nick gunned the SUV and guided it to the road for the short trip to the training facility. “Corpsman Dickson needs our help.”

“Yeah after hell-week all those wet and sandy trainees are too tired to wash away all the sand.”

“And with salt mixed with sand, some salt in the wound is very irritating.”

“Even more irritating than having to end ‘a new hope’ at a crucial moment,” Kyle shook his head and started to hum the imperial march. “Hum hum hum hum a hum…”

“That’s from another part.”

“Ah I should do the celebration march.”

“Nah, we can start the movie where we have ended it or…”

“I cut the power,” Kyle shrugged with his shoulders. “We have to use search scene.”

“If we are not too tired after this emergency,” Nick stopped briefly at the entrance and flashed his ID before going to the barracks housing the trainees.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent use of the prompt. They'll definitely be ready to relax after rushing to help the injured.

16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    They did and ended up with this

Ripples
    “You guys finished the movie-marathon in our house?” Isabeau came in seeing the two males seated before the screen where the end-titles of ‘Return of the Jedi’ were crawling across accented by the exhilarating soundtrack.

“We relocated after Teri came in with some girls to have a ‘Harry Potter marathon’ and a cooking party,” Nick grinned. “We raided your kitchen and had something other than MRE’s.”

“I can see that,” Isabeau saw the empty bowls. “Veggies and fish were to be our evening-meal Kyle but don’t you worry, I have been to the Starfleet barbecue and have been in contact with Uhura. She told me about Spock and his escape from sickbay and remembered an old mission involving a mirror-universe. It was haunting for her.”

“I don’t remember any mirror-universes,” Nick retrieved the disk from the player.

“I have been on the Enterprise for a long time. I may have a security-log-entry about that one,” Kyle Crisson stood up, walked to a cabinet and rummaged in his collection of datadisks. “I was there when we had some ripples causing the transporter to malfunction. Yes, this is the one.” He inserted it in the player and pushed ‘play’ on the remote.

“You could record all that?” Nick saw a very nasty looking Kirk, McCoy, Scotty and Uhura being detained by Enterprise security in the brig.

“Yes and I know why it was a haunting experience for Uhura,” Kyle remembered. “She told me that mirror-Spock was a man to be liked and trusted. He was responsible for getting them switched again.”

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb use of "Ripples" =D= One of the best TOS episodes. :cool:

18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I fell a bit behind on these, my apologies! :oops:

But, once again, I love all of the interfandom references you are able to include. Your banter between friends is always wonderfully uplifting to read.

And I like how you worked in the Mirror!verse in this one - that really was a fantastic use of the prompt. :) =D=

19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Mirror Spock was a man with honor
    There will be more in

Choices
    “I remember from school more Star Wars movies,” Isabeau saw Nick putting the disk back in the box. “With my friends I watched ‘the force awakens’, rogue one’ and…”

“Disney killed Han Solo, made Ben a Sithly villain and ignored Mara,” Nick interrupted. “My dad had only books. I made my choices after reading them. For me the first six movies were canon. I was very happy to find this box in an antiques-shop. I was captivated by the love and banter between Han and Leia and the snarky Mara and her friends and the very interesting Thrawn and…”

“Thrawn,” Kyle grinned. “I had those books too and they travelled with me everywhere. And on the Enterprise my first meeting with Spock had me observing him closely.”

“And seeing a Thrawn in disguise,” Nick doubled over in stitches when he saw the looks on Isabeau’s face.

“You should read them,” Kyle smiled. “You next contact with Uhura will be interesting. I bet she sees Spock as her Thrawn.”

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Baby, baby. Put that on a T-shirt! [face_dancing] =P~ =P~ Yes, she does! ^:)^ ^:)^ [face_laugh]

Yum. Delicious use of choices.

Yuppers, I too feel the NEU did a dirty turn on H/L but the new Zahn novel :) [face_sigh] was my first profic purchase in a loooong time. [face_laugh]

21. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh my goodness, but the idea of Spock and Thrawn in a room playing holochess is really all I want from this world - a very accurate observation that I'm sure Nyota would agree with. ;) [face_love]

And I do have to agree with the rest about the New!Canon - it really didn't hit as Legends did, even with all of their own faults later on down the line. Ah well, that's what we have fanfiction fore! ;) [face_love]

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    *Has a complete fangirl meltdown over the image of Thrawn and Spock in the same room* =P~ [face_love]

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Again one with the 'legends' as canon

Tenderly
    “WOW these books are great,” Isabeau had teary eyes when she closed the reader where the last page of the ‘fate of the Jedi’ series was visible.

“You were quite busy the last three weeks,” Kyle stroked his wife tenderly over her cheek to wipe a tear away.

“You were quite busy with the trainees after Hell-week,” Isabeau smiled. “I had to read them all. From the Jedi-apprentice series to the ones of the clone-wars and after the movie ‘return of the Jedi’ those exciting adventures have captivated me. And you were so comforting when I was reading about the death of Chewbacca and Anakin Solo. Luke and Mara and their baby Ben had to endure the devastating villains with the deformed bodies.” She halted and continued with a frown on her brow “their name was …”

“Yuuzhan Vong,” Kyle answered. “Intriguing characters and leading to the even more dastardly villain Abeloth.” He smirked “Kylo Ren was nothing compared to her and Jacen Solo. One of the trainees had the Disney-movies and had one showing last week. I almost fell asleep. And Nick was sleeping when the end-chore was playing. I roused him with ‘Force awake’ and he asked with a sleepy voice where Luke was.”

“I have seen ‘the Force awakens’ when I was with Angele,” Isabeau was fumbling with the reader with a smile on her face. “She is a Disney-fan and commented about my reading-habit in the lunch-break. I was reading aloud about Mara’s death when she came in and invited me to see the movie. Even after seeing it I couldn’t convince her to get a copy of my books on the reader.”

“I am sure you can convince the trainee,” Kyle took the reader. “Come tomorrow to the facility and read that passage about Mara.”

“I will,” Isabeau smiled. “Mara’s death will touch those tough guys.”

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Nice discussion & use of tenderly. :D =D=

25. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    A very nice use of the prompt! I like the idea of the EU still having such a grasp in the future. [face_love]