main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #14-19: Legend Lost & Annual #1 (6/7 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TiniTinyTony , May 3, 2017.

1. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I continue to enjoy this story a great deal and the way they utilize the characters.

2. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    So why didn't they focus on the Resistance rather than start off the search for LST then ignore the primary mission so it's clearly not that important?!

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm guessing that the story was initially pitched as the "LST backstory" but then the execs realized that the comic was selling well so they put the LST story on hold to make way for other stories specifically the new villain Terex and his backstory in "The Gathering Storm" and the fallout of that in "Legend Lost". Now we're getting "War Stories" which ties back to a character from #7 so when we do finally get the LST stuff it may just be covered in one issue or two.

To speculate, Terex and Malarus kill each other and maybe Poe gets LST's location from the First Order / Terex's implant. Setting up the LST meetup needs to tie in the bad guys as well as the good since Kylo Ren shows up to capture Poe in TFA.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  4. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    "The general's been after this for a long time."

There's enough leeway in that statement for Marvel to make a good #50+ issues without Poe even getting close to Tekka's last known location :p

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    They clearly didn't think people would actually want to read this as an ongoing--missing fans are hungry for TFA era stuff.

Voltron64 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  6. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Speaking of hungry, I'm craving post Jedi stuff, but I need pictures so I haven't read any of the novels, plus I'd have to do some research on the order I should audiobook them.

7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    If the whole idea is to get the journalist to record First Order atrocities so that Leia can privately show it to her rich private donors, isn't that kind of messed up? Why not just show it to the New Republic and cut through the whole middle-of-the-road tangle?

Isn't this the worst-selling of the current Marvel SW crop? If I remember right, only the TFA adaptation issues sold less.

8. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I assumed it was doing well since Disney decided to continue with this series and end others.

9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The only other ongoing that was discontinued while Poe was going on was the initial Vader series. And that was ended simply because the arc was complete and now we have an entirely new Vader ongoing to take its place. It seems like they consider the Poe series to be the one right now that is most disposable. Pretty much every ongoing they have had they have tried to do things to keep their sales up. With Poe it just seems like they are allowing it to run its course.

10. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I'm sometimes skeptical of the idea that digital area raking in sales but I've heard the SW franchise books do well there and they also do decently in bookstores.

Poe is a character that was very popular and the book also has Leia in it so I can easily see them keeping the book going even if it's on the lower end for SW titles.

What figures we do have I don't have in front of me, but the other thing is if the title has held steady and not lost readers that alone is a reason to keep it around, especially when a replacement might not be able to routinely do the same figures or keep those numbers stable.

I do sort of feel like several sets of plots are coming to a head, and once that happens...well, the closer we get to the next numbered movie, we'll see what they decide to do. The book has gotten better, imo.

11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I need to say this: I'm having a problem with the way Poe is drawn. Sometimes, he looks more like GĂ©rard Depardieu than Oscar Isaac, and it's much less easy on the eye.

darthcaedus1138 and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

I do a blog posting monthly concerning the sales and Poe Dameron is the lowest selling ongoing Star Wars title. Doctor Aphra was getting close to dropping below it, but the Screaming Citadel arc seems to have bought that title some time. Like others have speculated, I suspect Poe Dameron will be replaced or have a new direction around the time The Last Jedi is released to theaters.

13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I think the Dr. Aphra series has already been renewed for a second year as Gillen said that his taking over the reigns for the main series won't change the plans for year 2 of Aphra. The interesting thing will be in will it be renewed for a third year or will they simply incorporate Aphra into the main series then.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    More Jess Pava is a good thing, mostly cuz I've been watching Iron Fist lately and I definitely have more Jessica Hennwick on my mind (who plays Colleen / Jess / one of the Sand Snakes)

15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Lol. Game of Thrones is the reason why Jess Pava is my favorite character in the comic. I want her to hitch up with Poe. Poe would be happy.

By the way I just looked up Henwick's wikipedia page and it doesn't say anything about Last Jedi. Does that mean Jess Pava likely won't be in Last Jedi at all or do those actors that appear only briefly in films (like she did in TFA) usually only get credited for the role after the film is already out?

16. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    She won't be, but said in an interview that her contract is for three films so Jess will hopefully appear again. Henwick's a rising star who is working on another Disney franchise so I would imagine that that would be eager to include her.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    See, now we need a "what Jess was doing during The Last Jedi" comic, dangit.

The_Forgotten_Jedi likes this.
  18. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010

I'm hoping that Jess could at least appear in the novelization.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If Jess dies in a snowspeeder crash that is cut from the movie and we find out decades later in a reference book, I'll be mighty annoyed.

20. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    Too soon! :_|

BigAl6ft6 and Vthuil like this.
  21. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

Marvel will keep publishing Doctor Aphra as long as it sells well enough. It did dip down to around 40,000 copies and within 4,000 copies of Poe Dameron, but since then, the Screaming Citadel event helped boost the title by 10,000 units. Depending on how the post-Screaming Citadel numbers pan out, I'm guess Aphra is safe. For that matter, even though Poe Dameron is the lowest selling ongoing Star Wars title, it is still a top 100 book.

The thing is, all Star Wars comic sales have fallen pretty hard since 2015. But, they still are some of the top selling books out there. The main Star Wars title has been Marvel's best selling ongoing Marvel title for 2.5 years now and it only sold approximately 70,000 units.

22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I don't think the Aphra series will get a year 3 regardless. Remember they chose to end the first Vader series when it was still a top 10/15 book. I think they might bring Aphra into the regular Star Wars line after about 25 issues of her own series (remember Gillen will be writing that series as well).

vncredleader likes this.
  23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    That's a good point. I doubt many of these character focused books like Vader, Poe and Aphra will last super long. I wonder if they will move into team focused books kinda like the old Rogue Squadron or Legacy books

24. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Seeing as Jess is now my favorite character in the new canon (Wedge is for legends so yeah clearly theme there) I would also be pretty freaking annoyed

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Which character was killed in the snowspeeder crash that was only revealed in a source book decades later?