main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sequel Trilogy or NJO story, which was the better choice?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by QuiWanKenJin, Jul 17, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Probably very very little to none of it. I think the only reason there seems to be similarities there is because both LOTF and TFA were retellings of the OT. In Rogue One though I think it is possible the reason they chose to give the protagonist of the story the name they did was because of Jan Ors from legends.

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I'm not so sure, the similarities line up too well. JJ Abrams was given a basic rundown on the Legends timeline. So a subtle attempt to imitate the EU may have indeed been attempted.

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Here's the problem with comparing the ST and NJO. They're two completely different things (I mean, obviously, but hear me out). The NJO was designed to be read; it was a series of books designed to be very long-running and very detailed. In a way, those 19 books built their own universe. They had time to do that. Again: nineteen books. That is a freaking long book series, and because of it, we got to see buckets of character development. Plus, we got extensive backstory and detail on who the Yuuzhan Vong were, where they came from, what their technology was, what they believed religiously, what made them tick, etc.

The ST was designed to be viewed. It's a trilogy of two-hour-or-so movies designed to entertain and tell a story that introduces us to characters and tell a complete, cohesive story in about six hours, visually. Because it doesn't have the advantage of long textual passages of character description, all development must be through dialogue and nonverbal cues on the part of the actors. The story has to be wrapped up much more quickly, because they have to be three individually compelling stories as well as one long story when put together. Because of that we're not going to get a bunch of exposition and explanation for every single minutiae.

So because of that, I think it's literally impossible to say one or the other was a better idea. And to me at least, it's certainly impossible to say which one I like better. It would be like asking if you like the X-wing novel series or Rogue One better. There's no comparison. Both are great, but deciding which one is better would be completely subjective, and probably impossible for an individual, unless that individual just absolutely preferred one. But 10 books vs. one movie? It's just not a fair comparison.

The NJO will always have a very special place in my heart because there's nothing else like it in all of Star Wars and it tells a fantastic, emotionally-compelling story and none of the individual books could even be considered bad, IMO–maybe some are average or less good than others, but none of them stand out as actually bad, and that's impressive for 19 books. I also love the ST, though, because it's a continuation of what Star Wars started out as, and I think TFA at least was very much an entertaining standalone movie as well as a great intro into a (hopefully) great trilogy, and TLJ looks to be shaping up to be even better.

I'll never understand this need to compare. If you don't like one or the other, that's all well and good, but why try to prove you're validated in your opinion? Others may have the opposite viewpoint. Or some (like me) may like both equally. This is something that can't really ever be defined as objectively better, because again, they're two totally distinct things.

Just my 2 cents. :)

4. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    That problem is also exacerbated by the fact that, in order for an NJO adaptation to have any semblance of coherency, all of the previous work that is relevant to NJO may need to be adapted as well in order to ameliorate the issue of having to explain everything. Which really makes the idea of an adaptation less desirable for all parties involved.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I don't know what other people's experience on this thread is.

But this is my experience

Mu: NJO is better than TFA and ST, because.....

Some: No, ST is better and you Mu, cherry picks and make stuff up.

6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I'm sorry if you feel like thats how you're being treated. But that's not how things are happening. Hell, how does someone even interrupt you when we're discussing over text posts?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    So about adaptations in some alternate universe where adopting the EU happened how many movies would be needed to adapt say The Truce at Bakura to Legacy. Maybe within some miniseries and TV shows happen as well. I'd think you'd need at least 20 movies, three to five tv shows( Game of Thrones style) and 4-6 miniseries of around 6-8 episodes each.

That's not even including pre prequel stuff and OR stuff.

AusStig likes this.
  8. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I say start with Legacy, and deliver the backstory through exposition. The Clone Wars never needed to be seen on screen. It was just backstory. Legacy could easily be made to function on it's own. I read Legacy largely without reading the post-RotJ stuff. I wasn't confused. Legacy gave me a decent idea of what the Vong war was.

9. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I liked the NJO and consider it one of the most epic storylines that can have ever been told in star wars. There was what? 19 books, two ebooks, a comic book series, a prequel type novel (Rogue Planet), and an enemy that was very formidable against the jedi, in fact they were like the clones. Difficult to read and very dangerous warriors. The st is just beginning and its also good, and I won't compare them because to me they are both part of my star wars universe. From the NJO all the way to Legacy II man, love it , hate it, it was one long list of novels and comic books that told a sweeping story that we may never again see in this life time.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  10. I wanted a New Jedi Order, more planets, more ships, and more lore,
    Also wanted a new political galactic war with the style of the prequels and also wanted a new sith order growing in the shadows

For my TFA waste a good opportunity

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought their message was about the dangers of religious zealotry.

There could be a message there about eschuing modern technology as well. The droid pit early in Vector Prime was pretty creepy; probably lends some thought to droid sentience.

SpecForce Trooper and Stymi like this.
  12. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Ironic rant in which you do exactly what you say others accuse you of doing.

I love the "poor, persecuted me" theme, by the way. It must be hard. You'll get through this.

I really do not care what anyone likes better. Although in comparing anything to the ST...we so far only have a unology.

I do take exception to shoddy argumentation, in this and many others threads. They just pop up a LOT more in BBL threads.

BBL threads are also among the most interesting in a way...they speak to a deeper existential analysis of the mythos of Star Wars...when they don't inevitably degrade into woe as me mode.

I think most of the angst is that most people just don't agree with the crux of the BBL position...and the hardcore BBLers are butt hurt people don't agree with them.

Most people overwhelmingly enjoy the new stuff. And while it's fine to not like it if you are in the minority who don't, it's not a personal prosecution against you or anyone else.

And as I keep saying, just about all of us here love the old EU. And I think just about all of us here would love new Legends stories.

If you post an argument, that argument is fair game to be challenged. BBLers don't get a safe space to say stupid ****...just like everyone else.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Daneira likes this.
  13. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Can you please stop with the inflammatory BBL ****?

DARTH_MU likes this.
  14. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I see you gave the cuss filter a go. Lol.

But fair enough, if that is coming across as offensive and inflammatory...and detracting from the message I was trying to convey.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

15. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    The thread title presumes there was a choice when there was no choice. They weren't going to reuse the NJO storyline.

DARTH_MU likes this.
  16. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Not when they abandon the whole EU, no.

17. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    It's not abandoned. It's still a thing that exists, and they are still printing new editions of Legends material. There are just no new Legends stories, unless you count TOR.

I think it's important to be precise here, or you come across as disingenuous...or worse, exaggerating to make a point or just plain making stuff up.

What you really mean is there are no longer publishing new Legends stories right now.

I strongly feel all this will fall on flat ears...lol.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Actually, I think (just about) everyone has misunderstood the OP and taken this thread in a direction the thread starter didn't quite intend, as stated on page two of this thread.

By "NJO", the thread starter was not referring to the novel series, but the mere idea of a new Jedi order started by Luke appearing in the movies. The thread starter was comparing what we got in TFA (dead Jedi) to what we could have had in TFA (a new Jedi order started by Luke that has not been wiped out). It was not a comparison between a/the movie sequel trilogy and the series of Legends novels entitled The New Jedi Order.

The question is:

(new) Jedi Order, or no (new) Jedi Order?

At least, that's what I believe QuiWanKenJin intended.

QuiWanKenJin likes this.
  19. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    Fair enough. I read the first page and skipped ahead some. Taking the question as you've quoted it, there's allure to dozens of Luke's Jedi lighting the green or blue, but as a story concept I prefer what we have now.

20. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    It would have been fine with Luke failing to find any Jedi/failing to train any Jedi.
    But now he did train Jedi, and they got killed/joined KOR/joined Mandos.

If indeed CT-867-5309 is correct, then my answer is I prefer Jedi Order.

21. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    He did?! I thought they didn't give a rat's a** about that!

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Why do people keep on wanting to say that the ST copied Legends? When you have two separate stories where both took a lot of inspiration from the same source (in this case the OT) they are bound to have a good number of similarities even if no similarities were ever purposely intended.

Darth_Duck and Stymi like this.
  23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I believe Hidalgo and Chee(and some other people from Lucasfilm) did give him a basic lesson on the timeline. Which he stated(paraphrasing) "that is too large and complex to make movies of" or something to that effect.

24. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    J.J. likely knew that there had been over twenty years of books but the chances of anyone actually sitting down with him and telling him the overall story of those books is extremely slim.

25. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Ironically, the sequel trilogy could probably have taken a diversion point from the New Jedi Order right after the Unifying Force, make Jacen Solo into Kylo Ren and have him kill all the other Jedi (including Jaina, Ben, and Mara) and we'd have literally the exact same plot as TFA. The only hiccup would be resurrecting Chewie--a tie-in work can show that he was found alive after years in Yuuzhan Vong captivity and was not killed on Sernpidal.