main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I guess it happens to other users too.. Around 1am Eastern(Any minute now) the boards go down for me for like a half hour..

Edit: 1:24am, back up!

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So, am I ever going to be able to see my post history again?

Ender Sai likes this.
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Are the daily crashes and multiple slow downs an attempt to make Donald Trump feel better by showing other things can be a complete disaster besides his Presidency?

QueenSabe7 and leiamoody like this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Probably not until we upgrade Xenforo. Grahame couldn't find a fix for the current ES issue. You can see recent posts though by selecting the 'Recent Activity' tab in your profile.

pronker likes this.
  5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Like clockwork, the boards are inaccessible from 10-ishpm-11pm every night on my iPhone; is that happening to anyone else?

pronker likes this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's the backup taking place. It changed time when the boards moved to the new server. (It's 1 AM-ish NYC time). It wasn't noticed for the first week or so after the move because Grahame was getting the automation to work. He was running the backup manually during the UK morning and I was seeing the same issue. The boards become inaccessible as the backup job has to lock the database tables to get a clean backup copy. I don't see the time changing at this point so I'd just plan on doing something else at that point.

pronker and EHT like this.
  7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Ahhh, okay; on my work nights, I lose 30 minutes of access before having to clock in, but I can manage. :p

pronker likes this.
  8. Mostlymad

Mostlymad Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2017
    Problems this morning? ;)

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  9. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    Just a few, had to hard reboot the server as I couldn't even get in remotely. Will keep an eye on it.

10. Mostlymad

May 12, 2017
    I hate when that happens.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, the boards were pretty much unusable this morning UK time. I came on around 8:45 AM and emailed Grahame when I saw there were issues. However, that's way too early for people in the US to be up unless they work nights. :)

Mostlymad likes this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    STOP! [face_rofl] =D= =D= Did notice a minitemporary not loading thingy around 7 a.m. Eastern Time yesterday and today but longer today.

pronker and Mostlymad like this.
  13. Mostlymad

May 12, 2017
    Or coming home late from a concert after a 5 hour drive. :D

QueenSabe7 and pronker like this.
  14. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Work nights, can confirm that I couldn't access boards this morning for several hours.

Mostlymad likes this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    More hiccups this morning. I've emailed the usual folks but it will be awhile before anyone is awake in the US.

pronker likes this.
  16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Have you guys found anything you wouldn't describe as "completely ****" about this move?

The double postings, the daily outages, the loss of a posting history...

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The daily outages are probably due to the backup. It locks the database tables to take a copy. Hopefully posting history will return after we upgrade and the indexes for the searches are rebuilt.

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    When will that be happening?

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Your guess is as good as mine at this point..

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Sometime between tomorrow and ten years from now. Allegedly.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The MF probably did the Kessel run faster..

22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I don't know if I have mentioned this issue before, but...

Usually, when I finish reading or posting in a thread, that thread disappears from the Unread Thread/Posts page. But sometimes, even when I'm finished reading that page, the thread remains like I haven't read those posts.

It doesn't happen that often, but it just happened to me the second time in the past few days.

Edit: The latest issue seemed to be resolved when I posted in it. Weird.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've had that happen on the 'What's New' page. I'll read a thread from there, refresh the page, and it's still there. I think it just might be an issue with the database buffers catching up at busy times.

24. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I just saw a banner about a server move tomorrow; just checking that that was a current advisement, and not something my computer's buffer picked up from somewhere.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If there is we don't know about it. It might have been an old banner. Do you know where you saw it?