main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #9-13: The Enormous Profit & Annual #1 (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , May 13, 2017.

1. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    They couldn't have thought of a header other than Legends for her?

2. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I knew there was a reason I just loved her at first sight.

3. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I want it now.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
  5. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Will be interesting to see how long the Aphra series lasts now that it is official that Gillen will be taking over the main Star Wars series. I would gander they will give this series one more year and then Aphra will be brought into the regular series as a main character.

6. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Having her under the Legend banner could mean three different things...
    1. They are bringing her into Legend so that the comic series is gong to die.
    2. They are bringing her into Legend so that Disney will publish new Legend series books/comics/other media
    3. Total accident. Future of Aphra comics unknown.

Edit

PS She's the only one without color... :(

7. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I think it was probably just a matter of the people who developed those figures not having the old EU's current title at the forefront of their mind so they just decided to call non movie characters 'legends' characters.

There are still no plans to continue legends (said today by Del Rey)

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  8. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    SilentGuy66 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  9. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Glad to get confirmation on that. I would imagine there likely won't be a year three though (if there was going to be one anyway). It would make more sense to not bring Aphra into the main series immediately though as I don't think she would fit into the story as a regular very well until at the very least after ESB. And if they indeed are building towards a future romance between her and Luke that probably wouldn't fit that well until after ROTJ.

10. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    I hope the Doctor Aphra series goes into year 3 and beyond. There are a ton of stories that can be told without the constraints that the movies' main characters have. This is such a fun read that I hope it runs longer than 2 years.

11. For me the Dr. Aphra has been the best character they have created in the new canon for me the character is already someone who has a place inside of Star Wars

And I hope that Disney EU will continue to grow with new characters like the Dr Aphra

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Dr Aphra = Legends? This worries me. I thought she was canon. Did someone tweet Pablo to see if he'd address this? We all know he loves canon questions. :)

Dr Aphra #10 - The Enormous Profit - Part II
    Previously on Dr. Aphra...

There is a blue robot from #9 that questioned the existence of technopathy and requested a demo. He was temporary controlled by Rur when Aphra opened a small channel as a test. Black Krrsantan then immediately blasted before he could do any damage. What's confusing is that after the blue robot gets blasted, the blue robot says technopathy is possible. It should have been the red one, the one that did not get blasted.

Also, as a refresher, the major players are:
    Mr. Yonak (Rodian) represents The Pride
    Cyban Front (red & blue robots)
    The Shadow University (male and female with orange visors)
    The Ezaraa (rock like faces in red robes)
    Thomas Toov (old dude) - has a stasis dome mentioned in #9, shown in this issue
    Papa Toren (guy with the fairies that doesn't talk) - first seen in Lando series and pops up in Poe series
    Sutha (the Hutt)

Now for the issue...
    First and foremost, no Vader appearance in this issue. So if you remember him from the end of #9, put him out of your mind.

Aphra puts on a black blazer and continues her negotiations with each interested party. The first meeting, that I expected to happen privately based on the info in the last issue, is with Toov, and it seems to happen in front of everyone.

Yonak (Rodian) storms out.

Sutha (the Hutt) merges his offer with random blue Twi'lek.

Both Yonak and Sutha plan on stealing the Rur regardless of what happens with the bidding.

So the robots - as the blue one is being repaired, the red makes his offer. He intends to buy the crystal to destroy it. Having a technopathy in the universe would deminish the need for droids. After Aphra leaves, Triple Zero and Beetee decide to do some modifications of their own to the blue robot.

Aphra meets with the Ezaraa. They have a very weird presentation and you get a real manifest destiny vibe.

Then Aphra meets with the Shadow University. They mention Aphra's doctorate and the issues behind it. If I'm understanding the scene, they threaten her new reinstatement of said doctorate so with their offer comes a threat. She threatens them back as she leaves the meeting.

Earlier in the issue, one of Toren's fairies asks that their business partner review the Rur. His partner is the Xonti Brothers who are gladiator trainers. Black Krrsantan freaks out when seeing them and their beast named Kthoo-Ra. As he attacks, Aphra orders Beetee to tase him.

The Shadow University ups their offer, but it's only 1/3 of what Toov is offering. Ultimately, Aphra makes her decision and uses a giant pocket watch to communicate her decision. Sutha, Toov, and Toren/Xonti get a NO in Aurebesh. The Ezaraa get a HELL NO. (that was fun to translate) The Shadow University gets the YES.

As Aprha talks to the winners and asks everyone to leave, the tube that was holding the crystal opens and the blue robot under the control of Rur breaks out two laser swords and has control of the automated guns in the ceiling (from issue #9) that begin firing.

SilentGuy66 and Jedha John like this.
  13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Coffee With Kenobiā€¸Verified account @CoffeeWthKenobi

6. Dr. Aphra being marked as "Legends" at the Hasbro panel yesterday was a slideshow error that they owned up to. Not the actual packaging.
    12:29 PM - 22 Jul 2017

14. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I support the Ezaara Dominion.

vncredleader, BigAl6ft6 and DelRiego like this.
  15. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    TiniTinyTony

I believe that the Pride and Sutha the Hutt are the ones that merge their offers. The Twi'lek is just Sutha's slave. The Pride and the Hutt both plan to double-cross each other if they win.

Also, Toov's meeting does appear to be private...Toov is in his dome and they discuss why Toov wants to live forever. Love the frame with Aphra asking, "What do you want to live for, Toov?" Then, they cut back to the "party" after the private meeting.

16. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Just read issue #10...GREAT issue...

One of the most appealing aspects of the Doctor Aphra series to me is the dialogue and these break-out meetings with the bidders offer some very clever and entertaining dialogue. My favorite frame in this issue is when Aphra meets with the Shadow University. Guys, I think I've heard of this "Doctor Aphra". Love the art and humor in that frame. Still has me smiling for some reason. Each meeting really adds to Aphra as a character and serves as some serious character-building for the bidders as well. The decision by Aphra to select the Shadow University's bid is very interesting...if Aphra really was a selfish monster, she would have gone with Toov's bid. But, she must value her doctorate and also must want to protect the galaxy from Rur as well. Really interesting twist with the droids unleashing Rur at the end. This arc is really starting to take off. Loved this issue. Also, this issue appears to set up the Annual nicely with introducing the Xonti brothers and the conflict with Krrsantan. Could read Doctor Aphra dialogue with black market baddies all day. Big kudos to Gillen on this issue.

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Oh ok, I see what you're saying about Yonak and Sutha. Makes sense by Aphra's response of "Unexpected, but understood" as Toov has the most money.

Also, check again, but Toov does reply to her question.

18. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I never saw the appeal of this series during it's first arc however this new story has really captured my attention and I'm once again reminded why Aphra is such an interesting character.

Jedha John and tatooinesandworm like this.
  19. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Top three favorite "little things" in this issue:

3. The "HELL NO" to the Ezaraa Dominion's offer

2. Aphra's messy makeup counter. Cute detail, that's exactly what I would expect her private quarters to look like

1. That guy in the letters who calls Cleveland the Outer Rim
    Great issue, I'm having a lot of fun with this series. Well done, Gillen & Co.

20. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    -This issue was good, but I'm impatient for Vader to show up so this felt like spinning wheels.
    -It stretches belief that Krrsantan is still with Aphra and leaving her alive. I know she owes him money, but every plan she makes blows up in her face and every promise falls through. Krrsantan is in danger all the time because of her, and on top of that she knocks him out. At some point you just have to cut your losses.
    -"I think I've heard of this 'Doctor Aphra.' Isn't she a selfish monster who'd do anything for a credit? ...and anyone who thinks otherwise always ends up regretting it." Besides it just being a solid threat, it's nice to see another reminder that her adventure with Luke is still impacting her. She is way more down on herself than we've ever seen her, which is ironic since, judging by what 000 said last issue, she might be on her best behavior in years.
    -Why exactly did Aphra choose the Shadow University? They were the only ones to threaten her, and their offer was low. Is it that their threat landed, and she doesn't want to lose her doctorate? Or are we supposed to read this as Aphra respecting scholarship and/or wanting continued access to Rur? It's times like these that I wish Star Wars comics would make use of narrative blocks or thought bubbles.
    -Loved the art this issue, both interior and cover. Kamome Shirahama does a consistently great Aphra, and Kev Walker's Aphra is straight up beautiful and his style fits Star Wars in general perfectly.
    -Somewhat worried about Gillen pulling double-duty between the main series and this one, plus his other projects. Even the best of writers can become stretched thin, and have their writing take on a stock, repetitive feel.

Jedha John and tatooinesandworm like this.
  21. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Just noticed that my letter to the Editors is the last one on the "Doctor's Notes" page of this issue! I think my first appearance in a SW comic calls for a new Wookieepedia page.

22. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    They printed mine, too. Feels good to be in a Aphra comic.

23. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Whoever is jmbishopjr, I approve your message.

24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    what color was the lightsaber of that jedi that busted out of the crystal?

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Someday there's going to be a plot twist on this board and we're going to discover you're color blind, vong333