main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams to Score the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zilonline, Jul 11, 2016.

1. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Williams told the story himself to AFI:
    Source

BTW, from what I've heard from fans alive at the time, ANH by no means made it clear Han and Leia would be a couple. There were a lot of Luke/Leia fans after ANH, and even through ESB.

thejeditraitor and Artoo-Dion like this.
  2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    There are still Luke/ Leia shippers out there...

I accidentally stumbled onto a nest of them once, and have been trying to forget it ever since.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yes he means anh.

4. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    A nest of them? Like Aliens? XD

5. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I find it strange that Williams thought Luke and Leia were the couple; since he had to have watched the movie for Scoring purposes. :confused:

I can see how people might think Luke and Leia would be the couple in ANH; but ESB? o_O It was obvious that Leia was into Han in ESB. The only thing the Luke/Leia shippers have to go on in ESB, is when Leia kissed Luke in the med bay; but that was just to make Han jealous, because he was going to leave. But I guess if Luke/Leia Shippers want to hold on to that fake kiss, as confirmation that Luke and Leia are the true couple, then good on them. [face_laugh]

6. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/890681921008566272

7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    JW score might be my most anticipated thing for the Last Jedi !! I'd love it if Luke got his own new theme just for VIII and maybe IX!

8. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I'm hoping he'll make some music that would be worthy to add to my top 3 or 5 SW music.

I don't think anything in TFA went anywhere near the top.

11-4D likes this.
  9. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I'll be very disappointed if the score isn't a big step up from TFA to be honest.

B99 and starocean90 like this.
  10. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Makes sense. The guy who originally tweeted that basically followed up by saying that it was just his guess because the recordings sessions were happening so early.

11. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Agreed, TFA imo was good, but I feel John was holding back!!

12. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I just really hope he got the chance to expand upon the themes for the Resistance, Rey, Kylo and the Jedi Steps.

B99 likes this.
  13. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    I just hope Finn gets a theme this time. To me, Finn having no theme is a glaring problem that needs to be handled asap.

B99 and 11-4D like this.
  14. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    I never even thought about that. But also Han Solo never got his own theme until ESB, and then it was "Han & Leia's Theme."

B99 likes this.
  15. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Seriously? No love for Rey's Theme?

I agree that overall the soundtrack was disappointing, but Rey's Theme is now my Star Wars No. 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Eugene3

Eugene3 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2017
    Rey's theme is on my top
    In the teaser sounded a mix of Rey's theme and Binary Sunset I wonder if it will sound on TLJ, it's beautiful.

Xael likes this.
  17. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015
    I actually think that the TFA soundtrack is underrated. Rey's theme, The Jedi Steps, Torn Apart and many others are pure classic SW for me. I think the main problem is that the score was mixed too low in the movie and some people were expecting music to instantly have the same weight as scores that have had years upon years of ingraining in our minds.

At least in my case, most of my favorite Star Wars themes grew on me because I started listening to them in other media (games, TV shows, audiobooks), and that basically amplified how iconic they are. Anyway, I really love the TFA soundtrack and CANT wait for TLJ :D

18. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'll be curious to see what new themes Williams concocts here, given that he composed so many for TFA. Rey, Kylo, the Resistance, the First Order...

I imagine we may get something more substantial for Snoke.

Howard Hand likes this.
  19. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    I disagree with the notion that the TFA soundtrack is weaker than Williams' past work. There are themes littered across the entire soundtrack, with Rey's theme obviously being the most prevalent, finding its way into a majority of the tracks on the album. In the words of David W. Collins, "If you wanted a pop album, what you actually got is a concept album." This soundtrack was actually my inspiration to dig deeper into not only the rest of of the SW music scores, but now, whenever I go see a movie or watch a new show, I'm almost always digging into the soundtrack before and/or after. And it's all because of how much I loved listening to and investigating the TFA soundtrack.

Troopa212 While there isn't a distinct theme for Finn, and I agree with you I hope he ends up getting one, there may be one in the TFA soundtrack that both Poe and Finn share. It occurs in a few different places in the film, but I think the most obvious place is when Poe and Finn are escaping Starkiller and Finn takes out one of Starkiller's canons. Happens at about 2:30 here:

Anyways, the soundtrack is a whole other level of hype for me going into TLJ. I'm planning on ripping through that thing on a daily basis once the movie comes out. Obviously it's just a teaser, and it's meant to be loud and grandiose, but if that teaser is any indication of what we're going to get from Williams in 8, this soundtrack is going to be BIG. Still get chills watching the teaser right after the "It's so much bigger" line and the music really kicks in. I'm hoping that grand majestic feel that you get when listening to Jedi Steps is common throughout the whole soundtrack of TLJ. And of course, I want more Rey's theme. You can't go wrong with Rey's theme. It fits in so many places. It intertwines into the force theme as much as Rey's destiny is intertwined with the force itself.

20. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    What about Kylo's theme???? I love Kylo's theme!

21. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016

I wonder if we've already heard a smidgen of it, when Luke turned around in TFA?

B99 likes this.
  22. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Yeah, it's possible he could build off that!

23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Scherzo for X Wings is magical, though probably the perfect example of the score being mixed too low in comparison with the sound effects. It was also awkwardly cut to the action.

compare that to1:55 (dont think this clip has the entire scene, but you get the picture)

24. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    Finn has a theme. It plays during the rathtars, on Jakku during the chase, and it mingles with Poe's theme (the one you point out in the video) during Jedi steps. I think the reunion scene features a sort of variation but I don't have any of the sheet to do more of an analysis. lol It's like an emotional version of their themes. THe Jedi Steps duet sounds pleasing I think because Poe's theme has no drums and Finn's theme is the 11/8 beat, if I recall correctly.

begins at 0:30

SunnyNelson and Howard Hand like this.
  25. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Semantics aside, I'd say those are Finn's leitmotif and Poe's leitmotif.

But technically, Finn doesn't have a standalone theme yet.