main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Women's Football/Soccer - Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Jun 8, 2015.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    OK, you don't like Pia. Please answer my question, slowpoke. Why is a young coach necessary?

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Because the old generation's coaches are mostly outdated. You can see the good European teams are using young coaches.

Especially since the team needs to bring more new blood for the next WWC in 2 years.

BTW I don't dislike Pia, I thank her for the 2 Olympic gold she brought us, but she definitely is not a good choice now.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Back in total chaos. Ali Krieger (didn't play against Aus) and Julie Johnston (Ertz) still on the bench.

gg jill

4. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Blazing finish. Much to learn from this one, though.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Much to learn, yes. But ...

MEGAN RAPINOE

6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    O'Hara looked to be the only one out there who was visibly irritated with the level of play after 75ish minutes. Everyone else was wandering about in a daze.

Play her more, or better yet, let her coach.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't think it's quite that extreme. Again, Megan Rapinoe was a worldbreaker in that game. As she normally is.

Midway between World Cups, I have no problem with the World Champions experimenting and losing games.

I have a problem with the team looking as if it has no direction or focus, however.

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Christen gets the start. Good decision, coach. Go USA.

9. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Brilliant, patient goal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Wicked goal from Rapinoe

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Taylor Smith has been absolutely outstanding in setting up Pugh and Morgan's goals.

Great to see plenty of chances coming from that side tonight.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Australia looking quite legit. Could the Matildas rise up and challenge for the World Cup?

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I certainly think they'll be top 4.

Last night was a good performance - much better up front. Only legitimate concern was Abby Dahlkemper getting beat consistently for a stretch early in the second half, when Japan absolutely should have slotted at least two goals. If Ertz is moving to midfield, then I think giving Krieger more time to gel with the back line would have been beneficial, but I already voiced that concern.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Great finish from Morgan, and buildup from Pugh on the wing.

USWNT looking solid.

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Rapinoe is very important to the team, especially her set piece ability can't be replaced now.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Two games with Canada over the next few nights, tonight and Sunday.

No Tobin Heath. Lloyd came on as a sub in both games against S Korea. Alex has 5 goals in last 5 USWNT games. Will be interesting to see how this lineup is arranged, esp. at the front.

17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The men didn't qualify so the revenue of the USSF will be lower, that's going to affect the women's soccer as well.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Huge trade on NWSL draft day - Sam Kerr to Chicago, Christen Press to Houston, Carli Lloyd to Sky Blue (Jersey).

Andi Sullivan of Stanford went #1 overall to Washington.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Nobody does big name player trades like the NWSL. Alex Morgan got traded to Orlando last year, and now Press and Lloyd traded this year.

I need to figure out how to watch NWSL games.

heels1785 likes this.
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Lifetime streams one game every Saturday. The NWSL website also streams all games free - I generally use the browser on XB1 to access the page and then make it full screen.

Sky Blue really had a wild day - getting Lloyd (who at 35 likely will play 1-2 more years) to replace Kerr (24, arguably the best scorer in the league) doesn't look great on paper, but they got picks 4, 5, 6, 13, and 35 today, a huge haul. Two forwards, a midfielder, a defender, best keeper in draft - plus the best veteran leadership available - may get them back in the playoffs after a long drought. Carli's going back home, too, so I could see her coaching this club in some capacity in the future.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Boston has folded. Terrible news for the league, even though this is the first NWSL franchise to do so.

Dispersal draft will be held - considerable talent on the roster, most notably Rose Lavelle and this year's #2 overall pick, Savannah McCaskill.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    *technically* the first team to do so. FCKC ceased operations and Utah Royals rose from their ashes.

But, yes, bad for the league.

heels1785 likes this.
  23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    What will happen to the players?

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Inty, you're right - same with Western NY moving to North Carolina.

Slowpoke, not sure yet - they haven't released the format. Imagine it would be like a reverse expansion draft? May randomize the order or reverse standings, which would give Washington a lightning quick attacking tandem in Pugh and Lavelle, assuming that's who they went with.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Leroux to Orlando. I could have swore this was done a while back.

heels1785 likes this.