main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

And yet Hobbie died. o_O

2. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Never underestimate a mad grandma. Then again Sidious of all people almost got his butt kicked by a green midget.

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The epic battle between an elderly thespian who needs a throat lozenge and a small green man who's high as a kite.

Vthuil, cwustudent and Revanfan1 like this.
  4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

This may be the best "describe a film plot badly" I have ever read.

Vthuil, cwustudent and Outsourced like this.
  5. ExplosivEwok

ExplosivEwok Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2017
    this is what the last few pages looks like

[​IMG]

6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    And I clicked on it. Because I'm an idiot.

7. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
  8. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Issue #3 is my favourite so far and one of the best SW comics Marvel has put out in a long time.

Really like the new Jedi. I actually wish we would be following his adventures in the GFFA ala Dass Jennir in Dark Times.

Ithorians and spicer like this.
  9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'm all for a pre-Barash vow Kirak story.

10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Let's just say having finished issue #4

Master Kirak we hardly knew ye

11. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Harumpf. ☹️

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

12. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Um can you please be more descriptive... details please with spoiler tags of course.

13. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Vader Force Snapped his neck as he Force held him suspended over a village that Infil'a was begging Vader to spare.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

14. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Hm, it felt a little rushed, but I don't mind. Vader uses the droid to repair his leg, and other damaged parts then tracks Kirak down to Am'balaar city. Which seems to be mostly populated by Tholothian's from the look of it.

Kirak is there to pick up his Starfighter from a family of mechanics who were paid years ago to store it, He seems to believe Vader is dead, which raises the question why can't he sense the fact that he is alive? His ship needs some repairs so he uses the force aid them in fixing it while discussing recent events. He explains how he supposedly killed the Sith, and considers returning here after he kills Sidious to train the mechanics daughter in the force.

But as Vader enters the city Kirak senses his presence and nearly panics, he can't fathom how the he survived. Kirak runs out of the hanger, and sees the Sith standing atop of a water dam. Vader has claimed the high ground for himself. Pretty cool imagery really.

Next the Jedi tells the mechanics to hide, while he confronts Vader again. They engage in a brief duel, which is interrupted by city guards who are concerned they might do damage to the Dam. Vader of course attacks them with the force, tossing them of the wall, and Kirak telekinetically tries to save them.

Instead of just stabbing Kirak in the back, Vader takes it a step further by using the Force to damage the water plant. Kirak is overextending himself, desperately trying to save his friends, as well as the city as a whole from drowning. Kirak pleads with Vader, that this is only a battle between Jedi and Sith. He says that Vader can kill him if he must, but begs him to leave the citizens live.
    Vader calls the Jedi's lightsaber to him with the force, then snaps Kiraks neck. Master Infil'a dies watching Am'balaar flood, and thousands die.

Personally I kind of wish Vader would have used his own lightsaber to kill him, that would be a rather twisted sort of ironic. But this was pretty good from my POV.

SilentGuy66 and Rickleo123 like this.
  15. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    If I have to use only one word to describe this issue - brutal
    Despite the fact that I knew the outcome (Vader kills everybody), there was still something in me that rooted for Kirak and his friends by default. Taking that into consideration, this issue was hard to read at times. First Arex - I really liked that droid even from a single issue, and I did feel sorry when Vader crushed him. The artwork is okay, but if it were more detailed, the moment when Vader attached Arex's leg to him would've looked even more graphic for Star Wars standards. Did anyone else notice the blood squirt when Vader attached his new leg?

Next, Kirak and his friends. Of course, not much development was possible in just a few pages, but I found it to be enough to feel sorry for all of them. Great job to the artist for managing to capture the shock and panic in Kirak's eyes when he tried to save the city. It seems that Kirak wasn't aware with the level of evil he was dealing with. He described Vader perfectly as a monster, as all of Vader's actions were monstrous.

Despite the predictability of the outcome, I commend the creative team for delivering a gut wrenching issue. The art could be better, but it's certainly not bad. There are some very cool panels, I especially liked the one where Kirak and Vader clash their weapons. Great issue #4!

16. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016

First time I read it, I assumed that was oil, or something similar. Upon closer inspection, you are right. Creepy.

17. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    It's neither the first time, nor the most graphic blood depiction in Star Wars. But it's not very often that we get anything like that.

18. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    I am aware. Small typo in my above statement that I corrected. Still a little creepy.[face_dunno]

spicer likes this.
  19. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Wow that sounds pretty lame!

It is very anti-climatic for Vader to just show up, Force Choke and snap his neck like a twig. Then again it was EXACTLY the way I predicted in that Vader had to "cheat" to win rather than actually "best" Kirak in combat. For once, can we actually SHOW Vader single handily beat a Jedi in combat? He had to distract Kirak by using the villagers as victims and draw his attention away from the duel. I would have appreciated a more drawn out and extended round of action between them. Maybe even show Kirak commend Vader for his skills and power since he so easily dismissed him just the last issue. It would have at least made some logical sense for how Vader dispatched of him so easily after the struggle before. Not a very interesting ending at all. Disappointing.

20. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Well, considering he was lacking a lightsaber for these first few issues I don't blame him for cheating. But now that he is about to build his own blade I fully expect him to be taking down some Jedi survivors, fair and square, soon.

21. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    Vader still needs to get used to the suit and rework his technique and he was wounded...I expected a similar outcome because of that.

I really liked this issue personaly. The art was beautiful, and it nicely captured the desperation in Kirak's eyes...I felt sorry for him. I was surprised with Vader drowning the city, but hey, he made Kirak suffer for besting him.
    I am really looking forward to see the saber construction!

22. spicer

Nov 14, 2012

Yes. Read Purge: Last Stand of the Jedi, Purge: The Hidden Blade, Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, Dark Times: Vector #2, Dark Times: A Spark Remains #5, The Force Unleashed (Vader vs. Kento Marek), Extinction part I&II. Also, Episode IV: A New Hope. There are probably more examples, but of the top of my head here are a few.

Don't forget that Vader was badly injured, so much so that Kirak was shocked to see him alive. And perhaps the most important bit people seem to forget regarding these first 4 issues: Vader has been in the suit for less than one week. Considering Vader's condition, both physical and mental, it's pretty impressive that he killed a Jedi Master and wiped an entire town at the same time. In fact, I am a bit tempted to say that Vader has been overpowered in this issue. But, to each their own. It's fine if you don't like the comic, not everything is up to everyone's taste :)

23. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Kylo, loses to an untrained scavenger. Vader, tore to pieces at this age, does this.

24. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    Really? This again?

25. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Vader, had holes in him and his leg blown off, and takes out a master.