main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Aftermath: Empire's End (book 3) by Chuck Wendig

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Wendig may have been given a basic premise he needed to write about, but the level on which you're describing–well, DarthInternous literally debunked it seven posts above the one I'm quoting. Your "theory" is incorrect.

2. EzraSnoke

EzraSnoke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2017
    Dunno about debunked but I still think there's merit to my theory

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You know it's alright if you dislike an author's work. You don't need to concoct some asinine conspiracy theory to explain yourself.

4. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    From literally everything we know about the writing process between writers and LFL, the Story Group looks over drafts and ideas from the the writer and gives ya or nay depending on what other authors are planning, or what's going on with the rest of the multimedia universe. I've seen nothing that would lead me to indicate that your theory is correct. All your 'Evidence' is purely based on speculation derived from anecdotal observations you're creating from the void.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Dan Wallace recently talked about some of the decisions made on Star Wars: On the Front Lines. That's the one that immediately comes to mind.

6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I'll say it outright. On a professional level (as a fellow-albeit amateur-author) I disliked Chuck Wendig's entire Aftermath trilogy.

The prose flowed poorly, without any of the seamless movement that other Star Wars authors are capable of.

The insistent usage of past tense was very jarring and took me out of the story. Few of the characters were truly memorable, there was a serious lack of action scenes and the descriptions were very lack-lustre.

Compared to other Star Wars authors, I found Wendig's work lacking in all areas.

7. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Wait, past tense? Aren't the books written, pretty much entirely, in the present tense?

8. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    It's a mix between that and an omnipotent third-person narrator. It's hard to tell in some parts.

9. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    s
    I didn't really see that, but I guess it just comes down to opinions.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean tense and POV are two wholly separate things. The tense is always present, and the POV is always third-person limited, with maybe some third-person omniscient strewn about, I can't remember.

I feel like the next big book should be second-person POV in future tense, just to **** with everyone.

Revanfan1, starfish and Outsourced like this.
  11. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Like I said, that's not how things work. If you choose not to believe me, alright, but I don't really have any reason to deceive. *shrug*

Jedi Ben, Revanfan1 and Outsourced like this.
  12. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    We are the audience, EzraSnoke. We are not part of the decision making. We don't know what's coming next but the editors and the writers do.

Leave it be.

13. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    Yup.

I disliked the 1st book immensely for the reasons you stated. It was just a jarring read from start to finish. Books 2 and 3 got "better" but the Aftermath trilogy as a whole is a far cry from some of the better Star Wars books out there.

Part of the problem for me was the constant use of the "Interludes" to interrupt the main story and show what else is going on in the galaxy. I get that he was going for showing the impact of the Battle of Endor across the winder galaxy, but the constant shift in focus annoyed me more than anything else.

And it also didn't help that the main plotline of Aftermath offered very little. Actually some of the interludes had better ideas for stories than the main plotline. I mean, a Darth Vader cult? Can we hear more about that please? Can't that be the focus of its own novel?

SilentGuy66 and Vialco like this.
  14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    As others have said you are trying to take things way too far. Yes there definitely is planning that goes on. But the planning is more or less in saying what time periods the people creating the expanded universe can currently tell stories in and also if they would be allowed to use any already existing important characters. This is why pretty much all the stuff we have gotten so far has taken place from about 19BBY through 5ABY (because that is the sandbox they are allowing stories to be told in right now). Within that sandbox they are given a lot of freedom to tell the stories they want to tell as long as it lines up with the story that has been told so far. The writers work does have to be approved before it is released to the public but it is likely just checking over what he/she has come up with and making sure it fits with things that have come before and what they are planning for the future.

15. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    ForcePushUp:

That Darth-Vader-cult episode was totally out of content and I wonder why Chuck did ever include it. To add some more Star wars feeling to the first part?

EzraSnoke: Ezra, if he ever makes it into post ANH-times, would be in his mid-forties around the time of TFA. Far too young IMHO for somebody so old and wise like Snoke.

16. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Sorry, double post. :(

17. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013

This.

Vialco likes this.
  18. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    I thought it was the best one of the Series. I rate this book 7.5 out of ten. I did enjoy the series for information value, but it wasn't couldn't stop reading type of books. It did answer many questions I did have, on what happened after ROTJ.

19. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Really? IMHO it answered a lot of questions never even thought about. But by the same token it duly circumvented almost every issue I was wondering about.
    There should have been more ties to the X-Wing book and comic series and to TotJ. Ysanne Isard, Sate Pestage, Mara Jade ... Not that I imagined those characters to dominate Chucks trilogy. Some references or small scenes would have been sufficient, at least for me. But instead - sooo many missed opportunities! :(

20. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017

I thought the flaws of book, had to do with​ flipping to many points of view too quickly. I thought it was a series to connect the gap from after ROTJ to the Novel Bloodlines. It definitely wasn't perfect, but I found it interesting and readable.

SWpants likes this.
  21. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015

Just a minor nitpick: Ezra was born on Empire Day; the exact same day as Luke and Leia. From RotS to ANH is an 18 year time span. From ANH to RotJ is 4 years, and then 30 years until TFA. That means he, along with Luke and Leia, are 52 as of TFA.

22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Just an even minor-er nitpick, but Ezra is actually two days older than Luke and Leia.

23. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Wow Luke's only fifty? Skywalker men do not age well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015
    Oh? Maybe it's just the way RotS was cut, but I could have sworn they were born on Empire Day. Where does it say they were born two days later?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That's what Pablo Hidalgo said in the Q&A segment of Rebels Recon: Inside "The Siege of Lothal".

Old Rex likes this.