main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Music of Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Christopher Blair, Apr 8, 2016.

1. bmore008

bmore008 Jedi Padawan

Sep 8, 2015
    I really like this soundtrack. I pretty much find myself whistling Krennic's theme daily. Jynn's theme is great, the build up in the end after the death star blows up Scarif is great too. I think a lot of people aren't giving it a proper chance.

2. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    Blue 5 you should check out some of Giacchino's Medal of Honor soundtracks! I listened to a few of them to get an idea of what he might bring to RO. "The Master Switch" caught my attention right away because of its similarity to MoH, even down to the title; it sounds just like a level's final objective.

Here's an example from the first game:

I noticed a few things about this since listening to RO. The beginning has a lot of the same tension as "Cargo Shuttle SW-0608" and "The Master Switch", and the end reminds me of Krennic's theme and the RO Imperial theme

Also, 2:40 is strikingly similar to the low strings at 0:47 in "Burning Homestead"

Blue 5 likes this.
  3. TheRebelFleet

TheRebelFleet Jedi Padawan

Apr 21, 2017
    The climb to the data vault gets a bit repetitive at times, but when Krennic is walking toward the data vault with the death troopers; it sounds so EPIC! Also, when Jyn pulls out the plants from the vault, the music changes as well, but perfectly fits the tone of the piece. Love it.

Blue 5 likes this.
  4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    It's intense!!

5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Does anyone know when exactly in the film FilmScoreMedia's tracks play? Some I've been able to identify by the titles being quotes, but I'm stuck on most of them.

Let Them Pass in Peace - When Chirrut rescues Jyn and co. in Jedha city
    What Brings You to Scarif? - When Krennic arrives on Scarif, between the tracks Good Luck Little Sister, and Are We Blind
    Jyn's Memories - Probably the Coruscant flashback scene
    Apologies Are in Order - After the Jedha Death Star use, when Tarkin takes control
    There's Spies Everywhere - When Cassian speaks to the informant on the Ring of Kafrene
    You've Lost - When Krennic confronts Jyn on the comms tower

That leaves the following tracks:
    A Rebel Change of Heart
    Imperial Departure
    Jyn's Interrogation - Possibly when she's taken to Yavin IV?
    Jyn's Rescue
    The Battle Continues

Additionally (and there may be overlap with FSM here), there are these 3 tracks from Fulcrum:

Now, it's clear when I Have an Idea plays, but the other's are too vague, and I'm sure the Jedha suite uses OST parts as well. I'm not familiar enough with the score to idenitfy exactly though, and I don't know when the unreleased parts actually play in the film either, beyond the initial appearance of Jedha that plays at the start of the track. I want to edit the suite so that the parts fit chronologically with the rest of the score.

6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I've managed to sort most of these out now:

Jyn's Rescue - When Jyn is liberated from the Turbo Tank and taken to Yavin IV
    Jyn's Interrogation - When Jyn is first interrogated by the Rebels
    Imperial Departure - When the crew leave Jedha, and Krennic departs for Eadu, between Apologies Are in Order and Approach to Eadu
    The Battle Continues - Between AT-ACT Assault and Project Stardust
    You've Lost - When the Hammerhead hits the Star Destroyer and Jyn confronts Krennic on the comms tower, between We Have to Press the Attack and Your Father Would Be Proud
    A Rebel Change of Heart - When Cassian and Jyn team up on Yavin, between Rebellions Are Built on Hope and Rogue One

As for the Fulcrum tracks, they are contained within FSM's tracks, but are higher quality.

coervus and cwustudent like this.
  7. richardfromnyc

richardfromnyc Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2017
    Soundtrack will be viewed as masterpiece in a few years time. I think many people dismissed the soundtrack automatically when they learned that John Williams was not doing it, but I think that shock has worn off and people are listening to the soundtrack on it's own merits. After listening to a number of songs, i can't get them out of my head - Jyn Erso & Hope Suite, Guardian of the Whills, Your Father Would Be Proud, He's Here for Us, and Imperial Suite - all amazing pieces of work

cwustudent likes this.
  8. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    For me, the score fails entirely on its own merit, not just because it's "not John Williams". It's a screechy, often tonally inappropriate work with simplistic uninspired themes, combining hollow approximations of Williams cues with Giacchino's well-worn "emotional piano chord" sound in an attempt to differentiate itself.

I and many others were really looking forward to Desplat's take. Perhaps he challenged the "Star Wars sound" too much and the producers ditched him and went with the safer (and less good) Giacchino.

Diego Lucas likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's not a memorable soundtrack whatsoever, but it's still serviceable to some extent.

10. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Unmemorable, pfft. :rolleyes: *hums Imperial Suite*

B99, TCF-1138 and Sarge like this.
  11. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I still think part of the issue here was actually just the sound editing. I think that the score was really quite good--I love the CD of it--but during the film it is too overbearing at parts. Had the volume just been turned down a bit, I feel like the score would have resonated better with more people. Not that that's everyone's issue with it, but I think that a lot of people got turned off by the score the first time they watched the film because of this.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I didn't like the score that much the first time I watched the film. I thought it was a bit bland.
    But I listened to it on Spotify before I saw it the second time, and appreciated it a lot more. Now, having seen the film countless times, I absolutely adore the score. I still listen to it quite frequently, and I find myself humming both Jyn's theme and the Imperial theme all the time.

Dr_Cthulhu likes this.
  13. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    For me the soundtrack is good, but i just don't like the acquired intro without the John Williams music. Plus i think when the Darth Star was shown for the first time i think some imperial march would of fit in pretty nice.

14. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    And because I think some were too quick to judge based on one viewing and instantly thought it wasn't as memorable as scores they'd been listening to hundred of times over the last 40 years, music that is practically etched on many of our brains.

Overall the score is good I think, its just think its quite jarring when the film is so Star Wars and yet it goes out of its way to be differentiated from the main trilogies by having a score that seems like it trying hard to sound like a Star Wars imitation and not too identical to what came before.

Sarge likes this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This soundtrack is an underrated aspect of the miracle that is Rogue One. I say "miracle" because, prior to release, this film focused on (and offered) everything I am actually LEAST interested in out of the Star Wars franchise... and it somehow turned out to be my favorite film in the series. By far. In-universe lore and plot aspects aside... it also did not have a John Williams score. And, it is still my favorite Star Wars film. I don't understand how this happened, at all.

16. richardfromnyc

richardfromnyc Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2017
    Piano Cover of 'Your Father Would be Proud'. Just need Admiral Raddus to say 'Rogue One, May the Force be with You' around the 1 minute mark

17. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Same exact thing happened to me. I love the mythological, Jedi, and "breezy" elements of Star Wars, and Rogue One was supposed to be the opposite of that. And it pretty much was. And yet, it immediately became my favorite Star Wars film. It unseated ANH and ESB, both of which I was quite sure would never be unseated.

Miracle is absolutely the right way to describe it.

18. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    May be lingering to close to off topic, but I don't care.. :p Michael Giacchino's soundtrack for War Of The Planet Of The apes has me in tears.. lol

This guy sure can write some emotional pieces! Your Father Would Be proud has got to be my favorite still!

19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I forgot, did MG get nomination for his RO soundtrack? Or hasn't the awards come yet?[face_dunno]

20. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    No, he didn't get any of the big nominations. The only one I could find was at the Saturn Awards, which are for Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Movies. La La Land ended uo´p winning best music there, though I have no idea how the movie even fits into any of the mentioned categories.

B99 likes this.
  21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Eh...[face_phbbbbt]

22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I liked the main theme, although it sounded slightly out of place with the film's overall tone. It reminded me of how the old Battlestar Galactica theme would occasionally show up on the reboot series. But it was memorable, which is always a good thing, especially after TFA. That was the first time I left a new SW movie without any music lingering in my mind.

23. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Watched the film a couple of times again over the weekend as its currently on Sky movies, there are a couple of great musical pieces on Jedha when we first encounter the planet. I love the initial percussion based theme as the camera shows the planet and establsihing shots of the fallen statue and its criminal that its not on the soundtrack cd. Secondly as we are introduced the Edrio 2 tubes theres a real subtle string musical cue underneath thats very reminiscent of some of the music from the originals soundtrack on Tatooine, I think it reminds me of of when R2 is hiding from the Tuskens.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  24. Seventeen thousand

Seventeen thousand Jedi Knight

Aug 1, 2016
    'Your Father would be proud' is one of the greatest pieces of music in Star Wars history imho, and I would be happy to have MG back as composer for a future film in the series.

cwustudent likes this.
  25. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Not sure why they needed to create a new imperial theme, when the imperial fanfare from ANH and the imperial march from the rest of the movies were available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk