main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I don't dislike Mu because he's a BBL advocate.

I dislike him because I find most of his other opinions reprehensible, and offensive to my own beliefs.

I have nothing against any other BBL person. I just disagree with them.

2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah it is certainly not a SW thing. Like I said it has more to do with that connection between people who don't like change in media and people who don't like change in society. Often their issue with change in stories is not cause it is different itself but rather because the way it is different is more socially relevant. To your point on comics and especially what comradepitrovsky said, look at the letters pages when Rhodey became Iron Man, many of them where thinly veiled racist remarks. There was some actual honest comments from people who just disliked the change cause they prefer Tony, but for the most part it had to do specifically with the people's political views.

I wonder if the same thing happened when Monica Rambeau took over as Captain Marvel.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    It goes back to the age old Transformational vs Affirmational fandom debate...except the new EU is the new canon and up is down.

4. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    So, Marvel editor Heather Antos (who's also responsible for the Star Wars comics) recently got harassed and insulted on Twitter for being a woman working in comic industry (after she posted a pic of herself and other female colleagues drinking milkshakes).

This is absolutely disgusting. Every time something like this happens, I'm ashamed to be a human.

However, Heather got also massive support by fans under the #MakeMineMilkshake hashtag. And my faith in humanity has been restored. I'm sure it's possible to make the world a better place if we stand together against any sort of bigotry and intolerance.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

Well, this thread certainly went off the rails this weekend. I hope never to see anything like that again.

As for the milkshake thing. It is remarkably telling that a certain segment of people are so threatened by women that a simple picture of colleagues going out for milkshakes led to harassment. Like, good gravy.

But yeah, the fact that so many people came together as a result of this to show support for Antos and women in the comic industry and fandom was certainly heartwarming.

Sometimes the internet can be alright.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Honestly, I suspect the milkshake thing was really about Boba Fett. For those who don't know, Antos tweeted a week or so ago that she found him boring. That's it--just "Boba Fett is boring". And then she spent like four days being harassed by insecure Fett fans for "attacking" the character. It (as far as I saw) was starting to die down when she posted the milkshake photo and I think a bunch of people just jumped on it as a new way to **** on her. That's not me attempting to rationalize it, of course--if anything I think it's helpful that it evolved into a broader flashpoint over progressive versus regressive comics fandom. Boba was just a symptom, and debating how boring he was or was not was missing the point.

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Besides- Heather was dead right. Boba Fett is the most overrated, boring, and dull character of the OT. Period. :p

That people would attack, harass, and target her (or for that matter any single human being, regardless of sex, creed, orientation, etc) for an opinion about a fictional character is beyond ridiculous. It's **** like this that gives fandoms a bad name. However, I'm incredibly heartened and overjoyed by the outpouring of support she's received, so my faith in humanity remains intact.

Like bad apples, internet trolls can often spoil the bunch.

--Adm. Nick

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Your point on twitter that the takeaway from the Fett thing was less about whether Fett was boring and more about behaving like adults on social media was solid.

That said though: dammit Fett. :p (one of my favorite things about fandom is good-natured ragging on characters you dislike)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

LelalMekha and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Your point on twitter that the takeaway from the Fett thing was less about whether Fett was boring and more about behaving like adults on social media was solid.

That said though: dammit Fett. :p (one of my favorite things about fandom is good-natured ragging on characters you dislike)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

vncredleader and CooperTFN like this.
  10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Except for Mothma, who is objectively terrible? :p

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, let's make sure not to let the broader principles here blind us to the fact that Boba Fett IS boring.

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I can't even read her name without exhaling through my teeth.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Dammit! You beat me to it, Uli. [face_laugh]

--Adm. Nick

vncredleader likes this.
  16. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Fixed it for you.

17. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Before we get carried away, can we at least agree that specifically, it is OT Boba Fett? There is a really rich story that needs to be told about post Clone Wars, pre OT Fett out there, just waiting for the right author to tell it.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

CooperTFN likes this.
  18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    TBH, I have a beef with Boba Fett fans more than I do Boba Fett himself. His role in the OT may pretty much be as "Man in Cool Helmet", but there's some good EU stuff with him.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    For me it's part the excessive fanboyism, and part sneering at fringer types. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002

You are all very bad people...and may the Force have mercy on your Force ghost.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  21. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I think Boba Fett is boring too. His mandalorian armor is kinda cool, but Sabine's armor is better so he doesn't even have that going for him anymore.

22. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Boba Fett is a lot more fun if you only think of him like this:
    [​IMG]

23. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I did think TCW Boba was more annoying than anything.

But he had some pretty cool EU stories.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

24. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Not to mention that the Boba Fett I knew was a Journeyman Protector and later a Mandalore. The one we're stuck with is a mere bounty hunter.

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, like, there are some good EU stories with him, but in the movies? He's nothing special, he just looks cool. And canon novels/comics have done almost nothing with him. TCW tried but its later stuff with him got cancelled (and I'm honestly surprised he hasn't popped up in Rebels).

But really, just going on the movies, Jango is far more interesting than Boba. And even that's not saying a whole lot, but at least Jango has some interesting aspects in AOTC–why he'd want a cloned son, for one.

26. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Jango is just crying out to be declared asexual in the NEU.